Pot Use at Shows

It seems that even among the people who feel the need to laugh at whatever reasons people have for not wanting to be around pot smoke (and I have other reasons I didn't mention that I will not elaborate on), they still agree that common courtesy and respect dictates that it not be done publicly. That is really the main point as far as I'm concerned.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried for years to get a contact high and it does not work.

Holding your breath for a minute gets you a better buzz than second-hand herb smoke. I prefer to toke pre-show and bring a doob in for that "special" song to fire up, then pass it around. For the Sarnia show, you can't bring pot over the border from the US or they will confiscate your car. So we brought brownies and were fortunate enough to be surrounded by some awesome Rush-fans who kept the kind flowing once the sun went down. To keep the pot smoking from being too obvious, just wait until it gets dark.cool10.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (vprtrls @ Oct 7 2010, 06:21 AM)
Holding your breath for a minute gets you a better buzz than second-hand herb smoke. I prefer to toke pre-show and bring a doob in for that "special" song to fire up, then pass it around. For the Sarnia show, you can't bring pot over the border from the US or they will confiscate your car. So we brought brownies and were fortunate enough to be surrounded by some awesome Rush-fans who kept the kind flowing once the sun went down. To keep the pot smoking from being too obvious, just wait until it gets dark.cool10.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Just understand that for whatever the reason, there are people who simply do not want to be breathing it in. Some people have their kids with them, some don't want to breathe in second hand smoke of any kind, some people are recovering drug abusers who want to be able to enjoy a concert without having to wade through a cloud of pot smoke, etc.

When you basically say, "well, it just shouldn't bother you, and shut your whining if it does," you're just invalidating someone's point of view which they're entitled to.

You're obviously oblivious to the cares of others in this matter, but just realize that when you do engage in this you're affecting dozens of people around you and making the choice for them. If you don't care, you simply don't care.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 7 2010, 12:03 PM)
QUOTE (vprtrls @ Oct 7 2010, 06:21 AM)
Holding your breath for a minute gets you a better buzz than second-hand herb smoke.  I prefer to toke pre-show and bring a doob in for that "special" song to fire up, then pass it around.  For the Sarnia show, you can't bring pot over the border from the US or they will confiscate your car.  So we brought brownies and were fortunate enough to be surrounded by some awesome Rush-fans who kept the kind flowing once the sun went down.  To keep the pot smoking from being too obvious, just wait until it gets dark.cool10.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

Just understand that for whatever the reason, there are people who simply do not want to be breathing it in. Some people have their kids with them, some don't want to breathe in second hand smoke of any kind, some people are recovering drug abusers who want to be able to enjoy a concert without having to wade through a cloud of pot smoke, etc.

When you basically say, "well, it just shouldn't bother you, and shut your whining if it does," you're just invalidating someone's point of view which they're entitled to.

You're obviously oblivious to the cares of others in this matter, but just realize that when you do engage in this you're affecting dozens of people around you and making the choice for them. If you don't care, you simply don't care.

goodpost.gif

only got a slight wiff of it at the Houston show...one blunt, then it was gone. I don't even drink at shows anymore...I want to remember everything.

Osage

I must be in the minority here, but if anything, I'd say it seems like the bulk of shows I've been to since T4E have been virtually pot free. I'm not a smoker but was also kind of disappointed at how clean the air was during "Bangkok"!

With my 1st tour being Presto in 90, I'd have to say the Counterparts was the tour with the most "smoking" although I think Primus being the opener and one of the more vocally pro pot bands had a lot to do with it.

Saw the tour 3 times (and Primus a handful of other times) and we always judged how stoned Les was by how long he would sit on those 2 notes in middle of "Those Damned Blue Collared Tweekers"

Concerts today suck. I would be way too paranoid to fire up at a concert. There is too much security walking around. It never used to be like that back in the 80's and early 90's. If it wasn't for how great Rush is, I wouldn't have gone to the concert. wink.gif

There are many concerts I no longer attend, that I would have years ago. It is nothing more than an exercise in people telling you where you can and can't go. What you can and can't do. You can no longer let your hair out and have fun. It is sickening what has happened to rock and roll venues in America.

Remember that 70's commercial with the Indian who shed a tear because of the pollution? That is what I feel like when I look at concerts today.

/rant off.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Oct 7 2010, 06:51 PM)
Concerts today suck. I would be way too paranoid to fire up at a concert. There is too much security walking around. It never used to be like that back in the 80's and early 90's. If it wasn't for how great Rush is, I wouldn't have gone to the concert. wink.gif

There are many concerts I no longer attend, that I would have years ago. It is nothing more than an exercise in people telling you where you can and can't go. What you can and can't do. You can no longer let your hair out and have fun. It is sickening what has happened to rock and roll venues in America.

Remember that 70's commercial with the Indian who shed a tear because of the pollution? That is what I feel like when I look at concerts today.

/rant off.

that's nothing wait til inflation hits. we'll be paying double to be pushed around and rounded up like cattle. sad.gif

Edited by ReflectedLight

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 6 2010, 02:25 PM)
QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Oct 6 2010, 12:59 PM)
I don't care if you people think I'm selfish, I don't even know any of you and none of you are Geddy, Alex, or Neil so I'm not out to impress...just to be myself. If you don't like it, tough luck. Yes, I am selfish but so is everyone else with an opinion they believe to be the right one. Look at it that way.

Your selfishness negatively affects the health and well-being of the people around you. Fact.

I hope Neil reads this, lol.

Edited by GeminiRising79

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Oct 6 2010, 07:54 PM)
My god, some of you people sound like babies. The only way you can MAYBE get a contact high is if you are in a tight, enclosed space with said pot smokers. If you're getting a contact high from smelling pot at concert, chances are it's a placebo effect.

Source: I was in an out-patient drug rehab program this summer where patients were drug tested. As a precaution, I asked one of the therapists there if being at a concert where people were smoking A LOT of pot would effect my drug tests. She said no and offered the above explanation. In fact, most of the THC in pot smoke is taken into the lungs when breathed in, resulting in an exhale of almost THC-free smoke.

If the smell bothers you, that's one thing, but don't get on your high horse saying you choose not to use illegal drugs and therefore hate being subjected to it for fear that you'll possibly feel some of its effects.

I agree with Tigershark2112, although his wording is rather abrasive.

This is coming from a non-pot smoker btw.

What if someone's smoking pcp or opium-laced weed?

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Oct 7 2010, 07:29 PM)
QUOTE (marblesmike @ Oct 6 2010, 07:54 PM)
My god, some of you people sound like babies.  The only way you can MAYBE get a contact high is if you are in a tight, enclosed space with said pot smokers.  If you're getting a contact high from smelling pot at concert, chances are it's a placebo effect.

Source:  I was in an out-patient drug rehab program this summer where patients were drug tested.  As a precaution, I asked one of the therapists there if being at a concert where people were smoking A LOT of pot would effect my drug tests.  She said no and offered the above explanation.  In fact, most of the THC in pot smoke is taken into the lungs when breathed in, resulting in an exhale of almost THC-free smoke.

If the smell bothers you, that's one thing, but don't get on your high horse saying you choose not to use illegal drugs and therefore hate being subjected to it for fear that you'll possibly feel some of its effects.

What if someone's smoking pcp or opium-laced weed?

BWAHAHAHAHA!!

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

applaudit.gif

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health." -- Thomas Jefferson

I don't care to see any other recreational drug at a public venue because it is simply illegal to use. That said, I tolerate it / ignore it so long as the people using it remain respectful and don't f**k up the show for anyone around them.

Any drunk or drugged out fools doing that should get their ass kicked out of the show (and in jail if they assault or puke on anyone).

QUOTE (tpn911 @ Oct 7 2010, 04:53 PM)
I must be in the minority here, but if anything, I'd say it seems like the bulk of shows I've been to since T4E have been virtually pot free. I'm not a smoker but was also kind of disappointed at how clean the air was during "Bangkok"!

With my 1st tour being Presto in 90, I'd have to say the Counterparts was the tour with the most "smoking" although I think Primus being the opener and one of the more vocally pro pot bands had a lot to do with it.
Saw the tour 3 times (and Primus a handful of other times) and we always judged how stoned Les was by how long he would sit on those 2 notes in middle of "Those Damned Blue Collared Tweekers"

Did Bush cause this? Just curious.

QUOTE (Duck @ Oct 7 2010, 09:18 PM)

yes bush caused this just like it was totally his fault for the economy tanking and everything else going wrong with this country, at least that's what the media will have you believe. laugh.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Oct 5 2010, 06:02 PM)
Where's Necromancer? He usually manages to liven up these smoking-pot-at-Rush-show threads. tongue.gif

2.gif + cool10.gif + TRF = comp26.gif rage.gif waffen093.gif

What's the point? It's gonna happen regardless of what these whiney ex junkies that don't want to be exposed to it, cuz they're too weak to deal, want it to or not. Simple as that.

No one's gonna do shit about it. Maybe a steroid laced security guard, but for the most part, people are cool at concerts. Sure, you get the occassional uptight idiot that is under some ridiculous belief that contact highs exist, and the former junkie that thinks this will trigger them into becoming a junkie again... but as far as i'm concerned... TOO BAD. Who cares really? If i'm at a 2.gif show and a joint comes my way, i'm smokin' it. If someone REALLY thinks it's worth getting uppity to me... they can try.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Oct 7 2010, 10:59 PM)
QUOTE (Duck @ Oct 7 2010, 09:18 PM)

yes bush caused this just like it was totally his fault for the economy tanking and everything else going wrong with this country, at least that's what the media will have you believe. laugh.gif

Watch it. This is NOT SOCN. dazed025.gif

Other than the smell giving me a headache from Hades, the pot smokers bother me way less than the drunks. The worst thing they (the tokers) might do is try to snidge my food. But they won't throw up on me, which is a GOOD thing.

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Oct 6 2010, 06:54 PM)
My god, some of you people sound like babies. The only way you can MAYBE get a contact high is if you are in a tight, enclosed space with said pot smokers. If you're getting a contact high from smelling pot at concert, chances are it's a placebo effect.

Source: I was in an out-patient drug rehab program this summer where patients were drug tested. As a precaution, I asked one of the therapists there if being at a concert where people were smoking A LOT of pot would effect my drug tests. She said no and offered the above explanation. In fact, most of the THC in pot smoke is taken into the lungs when breathed in, resulting in an exhale of almost THC-free smoke.

good post. this thread sucks otherwise.

QUOTE (DigitalDan @ Oct 8 2010, 12:23 PM)
I've never smoked anything before. But I'd rather smell that kind of second hand smoke than regular cigs. smile.gif

Absolutely! Cigarette smoke is disgusting.

To me what ever age you are doesn't dictate weather you should do drugs at a concert or recreationally at all. It's the person's choice and from my experience with hanging out with some potheads when I was younger, if you don't want to smoke they would always just say "fine, more for me then". The potheads i've known in my life never pushed the usage on me at all. If I declined after they asked then they would just move on and enjoy what they're doing and not bother me no more.

I guess i'm kind of different. I hit the alcohol a little more if i'm doing something I know I won't enjoy or am watching a band live that I don't really care for. That's when using drugs will enhance the experience for me, when I'm not that interested in what's going on.

But if i'm going to see a band I really enjoy, there's no need for me to do that because I get enough of a "buzz" or "high" off the music and the show than any drug will ever give me.

I may not like the smell of weed or cirgarettes, or the way a person acts when they're drunk off their ass. But i've come to accept it as part of the concert experience and there's nothing we can do to change that. I just accept it for what it is, focus on the show and enjoy it.