MTV

circumstantial tree

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Sep 27 2010, 05:23 PM)
DK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDcfPZOBiow

Awesome buddy!

I have this show somewhere on dvd.

Too bad he had mic issues. The lyrical content of that incredible song says it all.

I remember J.J. Jackson's jacket.

DK RULES! trink39.gif

Love,

"Bedtime For Democracy"

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 27 2010, 10:41 AM)
While I agree that in the 80's MTV exposed me to a lot of music I might not have heard otherwise (although interestingly I listen to almost none of that stuff today), I think it's done a lot more harm than good.

Saying that, I don't necessarily think the music industry knew they were killing music with MTV, they were just utilizing what seemed to be the next logical, cultural, technological next step. It was all innocent enough, especially at first.

What it unfortunately did is kill a lot of great music, as then bands and artists HAD to have a video to make an impact, and that took money, PR, being on a big label, etc. That's not even mentioning having to create not just an artistically successful song, but an artistically successful video. So many people for all these reasons and more just couldn't make the video thing work for them, and many bands and their songs just didn't make it. When it was merely the age of radio and occasional tv appearances, so many people who otherwise would not have had a chance at success became successful.

Have you ever seen an informercial for best of the 70's compilations? They often show tv performances of people who had a bit hit (usually they didn't get on tv UNTIL the song was a big hit). Man, some of these people were not the most attractive people in the world, and if they had to start with a video to get their song to break, they never would have made it.

MTV was perhaps more of a symptom than THE cause of killing music in an industry that was always moving more and more into greed and bottom lines over taking a chance on quality music, but it sure didn't help popular music at all...

If I may..

This

Headbanger's Ball exposed me to a ton of great bands. 120 Minutes turned me on to a bunch others including my beloved Cocteau Twins.

What I'd really like to see is a channel that dedicated itself to concert films. Different days for different genres with metal given as much exposure as pop. Mix in documentaries and music videos. Absolutely no culture/reality shows.

QUOTE (teababe27 @ Sep 28 2010, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Sep 28 2010, 08:56 AM)
I miss the glory days of Headbanger's Ball.  Despite Ricki Rachtman.

Makes me wish I was older during that time.

It was kinda fun back then. A few of us would get together at a buddy's place to watch (Heavy Metal Hour?) before it was called Headbanger's Ball. It was the best program MTV had back then... all the way to the early '90's. MTV was considering an all-metal channel, but dropped the idea in '93. Grunge supposedly had a hand in killing it, although that's still a form of metal to me. Kinda ironic.

I learned about Motorhead through MTV because they played a British comedy called the Young Ones for most of a summer. They were the musical guest on one episode.

Liquid TV was kinda cool and weird.

It used to be about music.

sad.gif

I remember being at a friend's house in 1985 and MTV was on.

A few minutes later they announced that it was time for a new MTV Video Release!!

It was RATT "Lay It Down."

Not only did I fall in love with the song, I also fell in love with that hot blonde too!

Great fukking song. Great fukking album!

Signed,

"Invasion Of Your Privacy" 1022.gif

Archived