Yes: Tormato

Silas Lang

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Sep 23 2010, 09:14 PM)
Our Song, CITY OF LOVE, Hearts....seriously, Goobs, what's not to like?

"Music - good to you!" 653.gif

Besides the songs, nothing's not to like. tongue.gif

I don't hate the songs, but I just think the album takes a pretty noticeable dip in quality with those last 3 songs is all.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 24 2010, 12:10 AM)

I don't hate the songs, but I just think the album takes a pretty noticeable dip in quality with those last 3 songs is all.

Think of it from this perspective though...Those two tracks, 'Hearts' and 'Our Song' are the only two real contributions of Anderson's on the entire 90125 collection...Unlike 'Talk', which is primarily an Anderson/Rabin collaboration, this title - 90125 is almost entirely an invention of Squire/Rabin.

Anderson entered the picture real late on this one, friend...In fact, they were ready to go to the presses as an Anderson-less 'Cinema'...And, sure, he comes in and he's asked to re-write a few drafts of the lyric sheets for various selections...He might even contribute an extra oodle of a noodle, here and there in terms of structuring, but very little though...Basically, HIS contributions are next to nil on the album...

That is, until we get to the bottom of the batting order...Two of these last three songs, they're his creative contributions to a project that he was the last member to join...Now, while these Jon songs certainly DO get the souped-up, modern 90125 production treatment along with the rest of the material...yet, if ya go and strip all of that gloss away, these songs are really much more closer in vision to where the band collective was during the late 70's...

I really think that it's the 'context' here that is really throwing you off with these tunes...And, if you heard these songs in another, earlier context, you'd be much more apt to embrace them...and quickly too. These two Jon songs are the ones that bridge the gap between the big hits of the NEW YES, and where the band had left off last with him at the helm, back when they had all convened in Paris, 1979.

Jon was the last guy added to the 90125 equation, and certainly, some room, however small, needed to be made for his artistry and starpower...These two songs are HIS spotlights on the album...Either you care for Jon's style of writing or you simply don't...But, this is him in the flesh, and I think he's contributing at a pretty darn high level here...You point to some other Jon songs that are as strong as these...In fact, three or four 'Cinema' songs had to be bumped in favor of these two Anderson selections.

Again, I do think you are being thrown off a tad because the tunes have Jon's late 70's stamp on them, regardless of the fact that Trevor Horn and Trevor Rabin have just amped up the intensity level on these songs for the new decade, and you can't seem to integrate them in your mind with the other, much more modern sounding Squire/Rabin material. But, keep these things in mind whenever you listen to these tracks again, and I bet that you'll be a little more receptive to them.

I think they're excellent songs...But, I can still remember a time in the past when they were also on my own pay-no-mind list...I think its a matter of really opening up to the material, and accepting that they are the outsider tracks here...The funny thing is that, and I'm sure of this, if these songs appeared on another, earlier album (obviously with a different production schema), most people would readily embrace them...Think of these two songs as part of Tormato or GFTO, or the aborted Paris sessions...of course, with the era appropriate mix and production...You'd be all over them in a heartbeat. It's all illusion, my friend.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 23 2010, 09:09 PM)

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 23 2010, 05:05 AM)
I love it. It's nuts. It is a wee bit clumsy and naive in parts, but that adds to the charm. The videos for Whale and Madrigal are as unbelievably bad as the cover. It ain't easy being cheeezy.

Holy cripes on a flippin' cross, man...Have you ever been so lucky as to stumble upon an early morning VH1 airing of the YES video for 'On The Silent Wings Of Freedom''...I schitt you not, friend...It DOES exist...IT'S ALIVE!!!! The vid is basically a camera following the boys as they go through sessions for Tormato...I only saw it once, but it was great...The camera follows Chris and Jon, Steve, Rick, Bobby and Mike, as they lay down licks, pound ze drums, and basically just converse with one another about this and/or that...

It's a cool vid...and right smack dab in the middle of it, the music cuts right out and we get to 'overhear' the various members, in the studio, and locked in conversation with another...This maybe goes on for 15 seconds and then the video goes right back into the song...I was both ecstatic and disappointed that I had found this rare gem...happy that it existed...But, also upset some, because I had just recently purchased a DVD set called YES- Greatest Video Hits...which is a funny-ass title to begin with...

Yes I have. It's on Youtube. A lot of the dialogue ended up on the Yesyears doc.

Greatest Video Hits is a funny one alright. That's the one with band members discussing each song before the video starts? All Union tour interviews if I remember correctly.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 23 2010, 11:59 PM)

Think of it from this perspective though...Those two tracks, 'Hearts' and 'Our Song' are the only two real contributions of Anderson's on the entire 90125 collection...Unlike 'Talk', which is primarily an Anderson/Rabin collaboration, this title - 90125 is almost entirely an invention of Squire/Rabin.

Anderson entered the picture real late on this one, friend...In fact, they were ready to go to the presses as an Anderson-less 'Cinema'...And, sure, he comes in and he's asked to re-write a few drafts of the lyric sheets for various selections...He might even contribute an extra oodle of a noodle, here and there in terms of structuring, but very little though...Basically, HIS contributions are next to nil on the album...

That is, until we get to the bottom of the batting order...Two of these last three songs, they're his creative contributions to a project that he was the last member to join...Now, while these Jon songs certainly DO get the souped-up, modern 90125 production treatment along with the rest of the material...yet, if ya go and strip all of that gloss away, these songs are really much more closer in vision to where the band collective was during the late 70's...

I really think that it's the 'context' here that is really throwing you off with these tunes...And, if you heard these songs in another, earlier context, you'd be much more apt to embrace them...and quickly too. These two Jon songs are the ones that bridge the gap between the big hits of the NEW YES, and where the band had left off last with him at the helm, back when they had all convened in Paris, 1979.

Jon was the last guy added to the 90125 equation, and certainly, some room, however small, needed to be made for his artistry and starpower...These two songs are HIS spotlights on the album...Either you care for Jon's style of writing or you simply don't...But, this is him in the flesh, and I think he's contributing at a pretty darn high level here...You point to some other Jon songs that are as strong as these...In fact, three or four 'Cinema' songs had to be bumped in favor of these two Anderson selections.

Again, I do think you are being thrown off a tad because the tunes have Jon's late 70's stamp on them, regardless of the fact that Trevor Horn and Trevor Rabin have just amped up the intensity level on these songs for the new decade, and you can't seem to integrate them in your mind with the other, much more modern sounding Squire/Rabin material. But, keep these things in mind whenever you listen to these tracks again, and I bet that you'll be a little more receptive to them.

I think they're excellent songs...But, I can still remember a time in the past when they were also on my own pay-no-mind list...I think its a matter of really opening up to the material, and accepting that they are the outsider tracks here...The funny thing is that, and I'm sure of this, if these songs appeared on another, earlier album (obviously with a different production schema), most people would readily embrace them...Think of these two songs as part of Tormato or GFTO, or the aborted Paris sessions...of course, with the era appropriate mix and production...You'd be all over them in a heartbeat. It's all illusion, my friend.

Oh my God, you've enlightened me and now suddenly, out of nowhere, I LOVE THOSE SONGS! I have seen the Light!!! notworthy.gif

sarcasm.gif

Seriously, what do you think you're going to do, talk me into submission until I see the error of my ways and suddenly think they're great songs? I simply don't like them that much.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 24 2010, 08:22 AM)

Think of it from this perspective though...

(edited for sanity and bandwidth)

...You'd be all over them in a heartbeat. It's all illusion, my friend.

Oh my God, you've enlightened me and now suddenly, out of nowhere, I LOVE THOSE SONGS! I have seen the Light!!! notworthy.gif

sarcasm.gif

Seriously, what do you think you're going to do, talk me into submission until I see the error of my ways and suddenly think they're great songs? I simply don't like them that much.

*COUGH* Vapor Trails....

*COUGH* Topogoober Oceans.....

*whistles idly*

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 24 2010, 05:29 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 24 2010, 08:22 AM)

Think of it from this perspective though...

(edited for sanity and bandwidth)

...You'd be all over them in a heartbeat. It's all illusion, my friend.

sarcasm.gif

*COUGH* Vapor Trails....

*COUGH* Topogoober Oceans.....

*whistles idly*

laugh.gif spit6ph.gif etc

That's twice today, in the one thread. I must do the lotto.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 24 2010, 07:22 AM)

sarcasm.gif

Irony, meet Goober. Goober, irony.

b_sigh.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 24 2010, 05:32 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 24 2010, 07:22 AM)
Oh my God, you've enlightened me and now suddenly, out of nowhere, I LOVE THOSE SONGS!  I have seen the Light!!! notworthy.gif

sarcasm.gif

Seriously, what do you think you're going to do, talk me into submission until I see the error of my ways and suddenly think they're great songs?  I simply don't like them that much.

Irony, meet Goober. Goober, irony.

b_sigh.gif

laugh.gif spit6ph.gif etc.

A hat-trick!!!!

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Sep 24 2010, 11:06 AM)

hey G - one interesting thing about the Rhino remaster is that they've 'restored' the original ocean/synth/guitar intro to RSOGod (about 2:00 extra minutes)

I was wondering about that! I'm just listening to the Rhino version for the first time and I was wondering what was going on. I thought something was wrong with the CD because it took a few seconds before I heard anything.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 24 2010, 10:40 AM)
Hi, Kettle? This is pot. You're black.

laugh.gif

I know, I'm not doing so well in this thread, am I? tongue.gif

*hangs head in shame and goes to listen to Tales From Topogoober Oceans at full blast in his cave where no one will join me because they all think it sucks and no one wants to listen to my loud and obnoxious opinions anyway* tongue.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 24 2010, 02:02 PM)
...when you say "they've 'restored' the original ocean/synth/guitar intro to RSOGod (about 2:00 extra minutes)," what do you mean exactly? Are you saying that the version of The Revealing Science of God is actually 2 minutes longer than the one on previous cd issues? If so, I guess I'm curious to hear that, but I don't want them messing around with it! Unless of course that means that the original album had that song 2 minutes longer and previous cd issues cropped the song for some reason? I'm confused now...

^ when TFTO was originally released, Eddie Offord & the band edited the song to begin with Jon's vocals

when Bill Inglot (@ Rhino) remastered TFTO, the original master tapes revealed the original intro, and the decision was made (although I don't know by whom) to 'add it in'

FWIW, that intro is on the studio run-through as well, so the song was obviously intended to be that way

funny though - after all that, I prefer the original edit (that exists on all but the Rhino version) - it's certainly more dramatic

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Sep 24 2010, 02:45 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 24 2010, 02:02 PM)
...when you say "they've 'restored' the original ocean/synth/guitar intro to RSOGod (about 2:00 extra minutes)," what do you mean exactly?  Are you saying that the version of The Revealing Science of God is actually 2 minutes longer than the one on previous cd issues?  If so, I guess I'm curious to hear that, but I don't want them messing around with it!  Unless of course that means that the original album had that song 2 minutes longer and previous cd issues cropped the song for some reason?  I'm confused now...

^ when TFTO was originally released, Eddie Offord & the band edited the song to begin with Jon's vocals

when Bill Inglot (@ Rhino) remastered TFTO, the original master tapes revealed the original intro, and the decision was made (although I don't know by whom) to 'add it in'

FWIW, that intro is on the studio run-through as well, so the song was obviously intended to be that way

funny though - after all that, I prefer the original edit (that exists on all but the Rhino version) - it's certainly more dramatic

hmmm, i'm skeptical and curious at the same time. i love the way the song begins immediately with the lyrics. in fact, i'd probably go as far to say that it's probably one of my favorite song openers. that's actually my favorite part of the song!

i must have waited all my life for this moment.

Archived