Yes: Tormato

Silas Lang

I'm sure I already posted in here, but it needs saying again.

This album blows. Onward and Release Release are the only redeemable moments, and Silent Wings... is without a doubt the weakest closer they've ever had. The band doesn't even sound like they know what the hell they're playing.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Dec 27 2010, 04:55 PM)

This album blows. Onward and Release Release are the only redeemable moments, and Silent Wings... is without a doubt the weakest closer they've ever had. The band doesn't even sound like they know what the hell they're playing.

eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Dec 27 2010, 12:57 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 27 2010, 02:18 PM)
Really though, Yes pretty much didn't record one bad note in the 70's.

If you listen really closely to TFTO, on "Ritual", there is this one moment where Steve Howe played a very sharp E.

tongue.gif

doh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 27 2010, 07:08 PM)
QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Dec 27 2010, 04:55 PM)

This album blows.  Onward and Release Release are the only redeemable moments, and Silent Wings... is without a doubt the weakest closer they've ever had.  The band doesn't even sound like they know what the hell they're playing.

eyesre4.gif

Don't make Rushgoober angry, you wouldn't want that...

no.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 27 2010, 04:48 AM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Dec 27 2010, 02:28 AM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Oct 12 2010, 08:14 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 22 2010, 02:51 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 22 2010, 12:45 PM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Sep 22 2010, 03:27 PM)
Clearly the weakest is Onward,

????????????

Same here, I don't get that at all. Beautiful song up there with Soon, Wondrous Stories, Madrigal, etc.

I don't know, I guess just compared to the other tracks it's rather static and doesn't do much musically. As far as love songs go, I prefer the early tracks "Yesterday And Today" and "Sweetness" much more.

I agree

With Madrigal on the album, no Onward is needed. Circus of Heaven and Onward are the bad tracks of the main 8.

I think Tormato is pretty perfect with no bad tracks.

smilies-8579.png

Agreed

I don't think the band thought highly of it. Chris Squire was the only one that said that it had decent moments. Jon felt it had no direction and there was no killer track on it like "Wondrous Stories" was on Going for the One. Steve Howe didn't like the guitar tones. Nothing sounds right about it according to them.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 27 2010, 06:30 PM)
I don't think the band thought highly of it. Chris Squire was the only one that said that it had decent moments. Jon felt it had no direction and there was no killer track on it like "Wondrous Stories" was on Going for the One. Steve Howe didn't like the guitar tones. Nothing sounds right about it according to them.

Most of them trash Tales as well. It's a shame the band feels to need to diss some of their best albums, but it won't stop ME from enjoying them. no.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 27 2010, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 27 2010, 06:30 PM)

Most of them trash Tales as well. It's a shame the band feels to need to diss some of their best albums, but it won't stop ME from enjoying them. no.gif wink.gif

Well, Rick had a legitimate reason to trash Tales, he got bored, because he did not have much to do with that album..........

I remember in interviews with Rick where he said during that tour when they played stuff from that album, there were stretches during the set where he could go off stage and have a drink with one of the roadies.

I don't think any of them trash Tales necessarily. Even Rick Wakeman said there were moments on Tales that were really good. What he didn't like was that they put on "filler" music to make the music fill up a double album. There was too much music for one album, but not enough for a double album.

Chris said that there were issues with brand new recording equipment that "didn't work half the time".

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 27 2010, 08:55 PM)
I don't think any of them trash Tales necessarily. Even Rick Wakeman said there were moments on Tales that were really good. What he didn't like was that they put on "filler" music to make the music fill up a double album. There was too much music for one album, but not enough for a double album.

Chris said that there were issues with brand new recording equipment that "didn't work half the time".

Well whatever they did or didn't do, they ended up making one of the top ten albums of all time. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 27 2010, 11:04 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 27 2010, 08:55 PM)

Well whatever they did or didn't do, they ended up making one of the top ten albums of all time. yes.gif

Oh, I agree! I didn't like the album at first. Too much to take in at one whole listen. It has to creep up on you bit by bit. Funny, I initially liked "The Ancient (Giants Under the Sun)" first, but now it's my least favorite (but I still like it).

edit: if there is one album that Rick hates with an utter passion, it's "Union". I have him on DVD saying he tossed it out the window on a Florida freeway after listening to it. I like it, but I can understand why he and the others didn't.

I definitely agree with you on that one. Tales is stunning...a true masterpiece. How the hell can something like that just be created by 5 guys from nothing? The heights they reached in the 70's were so amazing. That's why when I listen to Tormato I just think, 'what the f**k happened in only 5 years?'

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Dec 28 2010, 08:51 AM)

I definitely agree with you on that one. Tales is stunning...a true masterpiece. How the hell can something like that just be created by 5 guys from nothing? The heights they reached in the 70's were so amazing. That's why when I listen to Tormato I just think, 'what the f**k happened in only 5 years?'

Because according to Jon, they were getting tired of each other. Being constantly in each others space, it takes a toll. He says he can hear it in the music on Tormato. And they didn't have Eddie Offord, their former sound engineer.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 27 2010, 10:55 PM)

I like Tales too, very much..... And perhaps you're right, there is a bit of filler on there.

I just know that through interviews Rick did not enjoy touring that album because of all the down time he personally had where he was not doing anything during the concerts.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Dec 28 2010, 06:51 AM)

I dunno, I give Tormato a 10 out of 10. It's just that Tales deserves like a 15 out of 10. At this point we're just talking about levels of perfection.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 28 2010, 03:05 PM)

I dunno, I give Tormato a 10 out of 10. It's just that Tales deserves like a 15 out of 10. At this point we're just talking about levels of perfection.

I'm going to have a few good listens to this one and come back in here...

What does anyone think of the reissue bonus tracks?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 29 2010, 07:28 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 28 2010, 03:05 PM)

I'm going to have a few good listens to this one and come back in here...

Countryside is a fantastic song. Squire is in prime form here. The others are good, but Countryside is better than a lot of song that made the album, imo.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 29 2010, 07:28 PM)

The two B-sides are pretty good. "Abilene" is a nice change of pace for Yes, and "Money" is awesome, with Rick impersonating Denis Healey. "Days" is a nice little a capella number, and it's nice to hear an early version of "Does It Really Happen?" with Jon singing, titled "Everybody's Song". I'm not really familar with the other bonus tracks, because I haven't listened to them that much since I got the CD two years ago, but I don't remember any of them being bad.

This album wipes it's ass with 90210

Archived