Jumping The Shark, did Rush ever take the leap?

thelocator

During Which Era/Album Did Rush JUMP THE SHARK?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. During Which Era/Album Did Rush JUMP THE SHARK?

• Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Never

I voted never

Going by the definition of "jumped the shark" I think that is the only choice... unless you think they were done with after X was released.

Sure you may not like HYF or Presto or whatever, but they did not stop being relevant from that point on. If you really thought that, then why would you waste your time on a board for a band that you stopped "liking" in the 80's?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (snowdog212 @ Sep 1 2010, 12:46 PM)
Jump The Shark no Jump The Dolphin close
Being in that shit movie I Love You Man
I have been to over 50 shows and I have never seen anybody come close to acting the way those 2 idiot main characters did at there concert.It made Rush and there fans look like airhead assholes

laugh.gif

Did we forget to take our happy pills today? unsure.gif

Even if you didn't like this movie (and many here on TRF didn't), the HUGE exposure for the band is undeniable. It showed them playing Limelight like they did on that tour and had a couple of rabid fans geeking out to them. That seems pretty indicative of what really goes on to me.

I thought it was an awesome and hilarious movie. Yeah, the way they acted at the concert might have been a little over the top (giving some leeway to the fact that it's a movie), but if anything I thought they looked like they were having a blast and showed Rush fans as being fun loving people who are crazy about the band. It made Rush look like they have a great sense of humor and a very devoted following.

You're certainly entitled to your views, but mostly your post made me go wtf.gif

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Sep 1 2010, 12:43 PM)
I'm confused by the wording of this. Did Rush ever jump the shark? You never unjump a shark. The person who coined the phrase said "It's a moment. A defining moment when you know that your favorite television program has reached its peak. That instant that you know from now on...it's all downhill." (Per the wiki link provided.) To say that Rush has jumped the shark means that you think one album was their last good one and everything since it has been worse. That might be what you're saying, but the inclusion of the word "ever" - and some of the responses here - make me think the question meant was "Has Rush ever put out anything that you didn't like for some reason?"

For me Presto was the defining moment where "for the most part" they had already reached their peak. It's impossible to make it into a hard and fast rule as they have released some good material post-HYF, but the consistency for me was mostly gone and never really returned.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 1 2010, 04:14 PM)
For me Presto was the defining moment where "for the most part" they had already reached their peak. It's impossible to make it into a hard and fast rule as they have released some good material post-HYF, but the consistency for me was mostly gone and never really returned.

So that's one vote for "Jumped the shark at Presto." That's fine and you are entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else on the board. My point is simply that I think most people are saying "I hated HYF, but they put out some good stuff after it." That's fine, too, but just not jumping the shark.

I, personally, didn't care for VT much at all, but I wouldn't call it a shark jumping event. In fact, I liked S&A much better, so that's a vote for not jumping the shark.

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Sep 1 2010, 09:53 AM)
Yeah, I'd have to vote "never" as well.

Gotta admit, for about 2 seconds I was tempted to say Counterparts, but ONLY because it was a return to a heavier sound at a time when that heavier sound was back in vogue (Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, etc)....but to me that's just Rush putting some meat back on dem bones. Pun intended!

I saw an interview with the band a long time ago, think it possibly came from the same footage from Le Studio where Moving Pictures was recorded, along as serving as the setting for the famous Tom Sawyer video. I think it was here where I remember Geddy stating that the trio write and play music primarily to 'get themselves off', to gratify a certain need within themselves...and, that if other people, other fans out there also happen to find the music entertaining, that this would only be icing on the cake.

Sounds so damn noble and full of honest, incorruptible personal integrity...Doesn't it? And, I have NO doubt that the band, at this specific age (late 20's), coming out of the progressive, meat & potatoes 1970's, truly believed this of themselves...and even upheld these principles all throughout the prior decade and straight up to and including the Moving Pictures sessions.

But, has Rush always remained true to their musical vision, or is 'the truth' much closer to fact of this band getting a nice fat whiff of 'mainstream popular success' after the release of Moving Pictures, and thusly, forever craving that rank, nauseating stench of mass approval? Isn't it also much closer to the truth that Rush began to make concessions and compromises to their musical vision on every subsequent release folowing MP, looking to maintain that mainstream success story which was now already well-established, and of which they had grown quite fond...

I love this band...But, I also will be forthright in speaking what I see here...And, what I see with this band after the release of MP was a Rock group willing to make compromises to maintain that slippery grip on mainstream success...They most definitely DID Jump The Shark....BUT, the jump was more like a skip, as it was done so gradually, over the course of so many different albums, that you really can't point to a specific place and time and say, "Right There! That's Where!"....

Mystic Slipperman points out how the band jumped on the 'Hard Rock' bandwagon when that sound became fashionable again...and, how about the leanings and inclinations of the band throughout the 1980's? What were they doing back then?

From Wiki:

"Digital Man," a slightly reggae-based song, ultimately led to the end of the band's relationship with long-time producer Terry Brown. Brown was reluctant to leave behind the band's progressive-rock past, while band members, especially Lee, wanted to explore new musical directions. The mid-section of the song has been compared with the song "Walking On The Moon" by The Police.

I dunno.. Rush strike me as people who have (thus far) managed to find styles that they liked concurrent with the making of each album. They talk about being big fans of the "new wave" in that 1979 interview in addition to reggae. Why wouldn't that process continue, even into the present day?

Maybe they did have an eye on the charts, or staying in the top 10. We'd have to ask them to be sure, and hope that we'd get an honest answer.

It's either that the "jump" was indeed a "skip", or that really they ARE in it just for themselves and fortunately enough of their audience is willing to go along for the ride. Hell, even by their own admission, some of their experiments through the 80s (and I suppose this would apply to the 90s and beyond too) didn't work....

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 1 2010, 04:31 AM)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_the_shark
Jumping The Shark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_Oliver
Cousin Oliver Syndrome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_discography
RUSH Discography

Why didn't you include Roll The Bones (album) in the poll? I think the most obvious choice for Rush jumping the shark would be the rap section during Roll The Bones (song).

I personally don't think they jumped the shark here, because that rap was just a detour in the middle of a pretty good hard rock song. But I do think this could be the most likely shark-jumping moment for many Rush fans.

BTW, I do think many hard rock bands jumped the shark in the 80s and 90s by releasing blatantly pandering power ballads: Carrie, Heaven, When the Children Cry, etc. facepalm.gif Luckily, Rush never fell into this trap.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 1 2010, 02:58 PM)

Going by the definition of "jumped the shark" I think that is the only choice... unless you think they were done with after X was released.

yeah, after I looked up the actual definition of "jump the shark" I suppose that term doesnt really doesnt apply to Rush for the most part. I guess I shouldve gotten the true definition of it before I wrote my response.

Let's just say they let alot of outside influences into their circle when the 70's came to a close.

PeW is an interesting answer when Peart says MP was the album where Rush really started.

I never noticed a drop in quality, though I no some disagree- but even at that, they never resorted to gimmicks to keep going. RTB rap was not a gimmick- it was them goofing off. That's not the kind of thing you do to generate interest.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Sep 1 2010, 08:51 AM)
Hmm...would the 2 people who chose HYF, and the 2 people who chose Presto care to explain why they consider this to be the case?

Well, now it's 12 people between Hold Your Fire and Presto. Sounds like a reasonable point in time to maybe dissect, explore further. What's the common elements synonymous with this age? Hmm...I would say the fact that both albums sound like someone stole the guitars (both six and four string varities) and left 'em with a Casio keyboard in lieu.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 1 2010, 02:09 PM)
While I don't believe they ever intentionally sold out, the song RTB was my subjective moment of jumping the shark for Rush, in that it actually turned me off of the band entirely for a couple of years.  I didn't like the last two songs on HYF, thought Presto was mediocre, and then when I heard this song in the radio I really thought they lost it.

Now that I think about it, even a band as dark and heavy as Black Sabbath sold-out in the same exact manner, with the RAP schtuff...Well, with Sab it was more like Iced T doing some 'spoken word' nonsense in the middle of a song...The Rolling Stones also did with some radio single in the early 90's...Every freak and his mother jumped on this particular bandwagon when it came by.

So, here is another clear example of a bandwagon that RUSH climbed on board when they saw others having success with the technique...They heavied up on Counterparts when other popular bands were just generally doing much heavier records...

But, praise be to Allah that Rush never directly ripped the 'Grunge' songwriting formula off...They made an excellent record with Counterparts...Some bands, like KISS for example, Testament as another, used the specific songwriting 'formula' that was en vogue during this era, and equated with the biggest acts, that 'downer' sound of AIC...Thankfully Rush stayed individual all the way.

QUOTE (Sathington WillOUghby @ Sep 1 2010, 01:24 PM)
I chose Signals, because from that album on, they went 100% radio friendly song format.  (Although they are showing signs of breaking out of that!)  It is a self imposed limitation that has had an impact on all of their music since then.

When I was writing that post up top, I noticed a big similarity to what happened with Metallica and their concessions and compromises made after the release of The Black Album.

Basically, Moving Pictures was Rush's version of The Black Album...BOTH, are extremely well written, well produced albums that encapsulate each, respective band's sound and overall musical philosophy up to that point in time.

Both, are the last albums made before overwhelming, world-wide success becomes a factor...And, I think that both records have a lot to do with all subsequent decision-making, in terms of pleasing the powers that be and retaining a seat at the table.

Instead of maybe just 'standing still' and doing another repeat of what was just accomplished on MP (permanent waves is VERY close, musically to MP), or maybe even moving a step backwards in time, the band chooses to toy with the idea of embracing mainstream success.

RUSH embraces the radio at this point, just like Metallica embraced the radio with the twin LOAD albums...There are points of comparison here (I'm on an obvious kick with detecting similarities).

Signals was a mainstreaming of the RUSH sound, as LOAD was a streamlining of Metallica's... But, I like Signals a lot...a BUNCH more than I do care for Load A & B...In many ways, Snakes and Arrows reminds me a lot of RUSH during the Signals era.

The point should be made that also during the 'Signals' era, RUSH found some musical direction in the course tread by The Police...I don't know if this ever has to be a good thing, or a bad thing...I think it might just be 'a thing'...If RUSH was looking to further streamline their sound, cut down the average length of their songs, then they had to gain some assistance from those bands who were already really proficient at their 'short game'...to steal a golf term.

The Police were a frakkin' gold mine of short, accessible, radio hits...And, I think that maybe Rush listened to their catalog super intently just before going into the studio to record 'Signals'...I'm just sayin', yo.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 1 2010, 01:54 PM)
QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Sep 1 2010, 09:53 AM)
Yeah, I'd have to vote "never" as well.

Gotta admit, for about 2 seconds I was tempted to say Counterparts, but ONLY because it was a return to a heavier sound at a time when that heavier sound was back in vogue (Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, etc)....but to me that's just Rush putting some meat back on dem bones. Pun intended!

I saw an interview with the band a long time ago, think it possibly came from the same footage from Le Studio where Moving Pictures was recorded, along as serving as the setting for the famous Tom Sawyer video. I think it was here where I remember Geddy stating that the trio write and play music primarily to 'get themselves off', to gratify a certain need within themselves...and, that if other people, other fans out there also happen to find the music entertaining, that this would only be icing on the cake.

Sounds so damn noble and full of honest, incorruptible personal integrity...Doesn't it? And, I have NO doubt that the band, at this specific age (late 20's), coming out of the progressive, meat & potatoes 1970's, truly believed this of themselves...and even upheld these principles all throughout the prior decade and straight up to and including the Moving Pictures sessions.

But, has Rush always remained true to their musical vision, or is 'the truth' much closer to fact of this band getting a nice fat whiff of 'mainstream popular success' after the release of Moving Pictures, and thusly, forever craving that rank, nauseating stench of mass approval? Isn't it also much closer to the truth that Rush began to make concessions and compromises to their musical vision on every subsequent release folowing MP, looking to maintain that mainstream success story which was now already well-established, and of which they had grown quite fond...

I love this band...But, I also will be forthright in speaking what I see here...And, what I see with this band after the release of MP was a Rock group willing to make compromises to maintain that slippery grip on mainstream success...They most definitely DID Jump The Shark....BUT, the jump was more like a skip, as it was done so gradually, over the course of so many different albums, that you really can't point to a specific place and time and say, "Right There! That's Where!"....

Mystic Slipperman points out how the band jumped on the 'Hard Rock' bandwagon when that sound became fashionable again...and, how about the leanings and inclinations of the band throughout the 1980's? What were they doing back then?

From Wiki:

"Digital Man," a slightly reggae-based song, ultimately led to the end of the band's relationship with long-time producer Terry Brown. Brown was reluctant to leave behind the band's progressive-rock past, while band members, especially Lee, wanted to explore new musical directions. The mid-section of the song has been compared with the song "Walking On The Moon" by The Police.

If Rush wanted to maintain mainstream success (top 5 albums/singles) these days; they'd be doing indie folk albums. They're doing their own thing and are still the 4th best selling rock band of all time. Being "mainstream" doesn't mean crap if you're Rush

Yeah, Rush was influenced by the trends (in the 80's and 90's anyway) But they were overall still doing their own thing. (Synth/Hard Rock with a slight Progressive edge) Even Ged said it himself in the part of your post about how they wanted to explore/experiment with new musical directions; It takes alot of courage and integrity for a band to totally (or gradually) change their sound every four albums or so due to THEIR OWN artistic decisions, Never mind the record company's. The fans Rush lost due to the synth period are sadly mistaken and, if you ask me, snobbish.

There is no such thing as compromise if you have the longevity, fanbase and integrity of 2.gif

QUOTE (Ted Barchetta @ Sep 1 2010, 08:20 PM)
If Rush wanted to maintain mainstream success (top 5 albums/singles) these days; they'd be doing indie folk albums. They're doing their own thing and are still the 4th best selling rock band of all time. Being "mainstream" doesn't mean crap if you're Rush

But, it clearly did mean something to them back then. They wanted the media acceptance, the platinum discs, and they wanted to fill arenas...

Do you know that what they're doing right now is ALSO following a trend? It's a trend that's nowhere as apparent as adding a 'reggae passage' or 'a Rap breakdown ' or 'dowtuning the guitars to D'...YET, it's a trend, nonetheless....And, it's the best trend ever, as far as I'm concerned.

The last few trends in music were Rap-Rock, Punk-Pop, Garage Bands & Indie Folk, as you just mentioned...But, Rock's particular graduating class which gave us behemoth bands like RUSH 'gave up' on following mainstream trends a long time ago...

Sometime around '02. '03 or so, the older, so-called Classic Rock bands were entering a very fortuitous period for themselves, and they didn't even really know it...couldn't even see it coming until now, in retrospect.

Since there were no longer any Trends to follow, No Music Television to develop videos for, and No 'charts' to pander and sell product to, the artists were now left to their own devices...No longer were there any suits or PR men, accountants, attorneys and promoters pushing these bands in any ONE, specific direction.

WHAT arose from this NEWFOUND FREEDOM was the greatest blessing ever bestowed upon Rock n' Roll...With no one looking over the shoulders of bands like RUSH, these formerly masterful musicians were permitted to just go back into the studio and make the type of music that most naturally came to them...No outside influences, just them.

Suddenly, pure, uncompromised, musical integrity was back in fashion once again...Metal, and Progressive Rock, which had both gone back underground because noone was paying attention any longer, had both 'reinvented' and 'reinvigorated' themselves as genres and were again ready to be embraced by anyone would have 'em.

Turns out that EVERYONE wanted to hear these kinda genres again....PRECISELY because these bands were NO LONGER part of the musical establishment, no longer part of the machine which now was detested...and mainly because these bands were now generating music devoid of all the bells and whistles and glossy adornments of all them prior POP scenes.

So, the non-existence, the non-adherence to musical trends is actually a 'trend' unto itself...It TRULY is. BUT, this trend is most excellent because it lets the artists just BE whomever they naturally appear to BE at the end of the day...The recordings coming out of Prog and Metal world over the last seven plus years have been the most honest and musically exciting albums in the past decade.

RUSH is a definite part of this new trend...like they were part of several other trends in the past. Sell-Outs, that they are. lol.

Congratulations, you have started what I deem to be the worst thread is the Rush section of the board...ever! atickhum.gif

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 1 2010, 06:08 PM)
QUOTE (Ted Barchetta @ Sep 1 2010, 08:20 PM)

But, it clearly did mean something to them back then. They wanted the media acceptance, the platinum discs, and they wanted to fill arenas...

Do you know that what they're doing right now is ALSO following a trend? It's a trend that's nowhere as apparent as adding a 'reggae passage' or 'a Rap breakdown ' or 'dowtuning the guitars to D'...YET, it's a trend, nonetheless....And, it's the best trend ever, as far as I'm concerned.

The last few trends in music were Rap-Rock, Punk-Pop, Garage Bands & Indie Folk, as you just mentioned...But, Rock's particular graduating class which gave us behemoth bands like RUSH 'gave up' on following mainstream trends a long time ago...

Sometime around '02. '03 or so, the older, so-called Classic Rock bands were entering a very fortuitous period for themselves, and they didn't even really know it...couldn't even see it coming until now, in retrospect.

Since there were no longer any Trends to follow, No Music Television to develop videos for, and No 'charts' to pander and sell product to, the artists were now left to their own devices...No longer were there any suits or PR men, accountants, attorneys and promoters pushing these bands in any ONE, specific direction.

WHAT arose from this NEWFOUND FREEDOM was the greatest blessing ever bestowed upon Rock n' Roll...With no one looking over the shoulders of bands like RUSH, these formerly masterful musicians were permitted to just go back into the studio and make the type of music that most naturally came to them...No outside influences, just them.

Suddenly, pure, uncompromised, musical integrity was back in fashion once again...Metal, and Progressive Rock, which had both gone back underground because noone was paying attention any longer, had both 'reinvented' and 'reinvigorated' themselves as genres and were again ready to be embraced by anyone would have 'em.

Turns out that EVERYONE wanted to hear these kinda genres again....PRECISELY because these bands were NO LONGER part of the musical establishment, no longer part of the machine which now was detested...and mainly because these bands were now generating music devoid of all the bells and whistles and glossy adornments of all them prior POP scenes.

So, the non-existence, the non-adherence to musical trends is actually a 'trend' unto itself...It TRULY is. BUT, this trend is most excellent because it lets the artists just BE whomever they naturally appear to BE at the end of the day...The recordings coming out of Prog and Metal world over the last seven plus years have been the most honest and musically exciting albums in the past decade.

RUSH is a definite part of this new trend...like they were part of several other trends in the past. Sell-Outs, that they are. lol.

I think you're disregarding the fact that Rush HASN'T sold out. Mainly due to the fact that all of the music that they have ever written was due to the fact that they were doing exactly what they wanted to do, Not the record company. In fact; 2112 was Rush's big fat "F-You" to the record company, and it was all the sweeter when it went platinum. To even consider them sell-outs is ridiculous.

The words "Rush" and "sell-outs" Should never, ever be in the same sentence. So there.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 1 2010, 09:38 PM)
Congratulations, you have started what I deem to be the worst thread is the Rush section of the board...ever! atickhum.gif

Well, if you're the type of person to abhor examining the truth of individual matters, then well, yeah, I guess this would be the worst topic possible.

Jump the Shark would be what GNR did from Appetite to the Ilusion records then to Chinese Democracy

Van /halen Jump

Now dont get me wrong, I like GNR and Van HAlen but these are the best I could come up with

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Sep 1 2010, 06:06 PM)
QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 1 2010, 04:31 AM)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_the_shark
Jumping The Shark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_Oliver
Cousin Oliver Syndrome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_discography
RUSH Discography

Why didn't you include Roll The Bones (album) in the poll? I think the most obvious choice for Rush jumping the shark would be the rap section during Roll The Bones (song).

I personally don't think they jumped the shark here, because that rap was just a detour in the middle of a pretty good hard rock song. But I do think this could be the most likely shark-jumping moment for many Rush fans.

BTW, I do think many hard rock bands jumped the shark in the 80s and 90s by releasing blatantly pandering power ballads: Carrie, Heaven, When the Children Cry, etc. facepalm.gif Luckily, Rush never fell into this trap.

YEs,

all those dreadful ballads led me to things like Megadeth and Metallica in those years))

Presto, though a decent album, sort of began an era where there music seemed to go on a decline for me (though each rush album has something of merit) I was not finding the songs to capture me all the way through any more.

that being said, Of the albums produced after Presto, Couterparts to me is a great album, and i can listen to it all the way through no problems. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

What has come after CP, I have usually liked about half the album songs.

anyway, sorry for the ramble,

To the OP, i would call it more of a skip, than jumping the shark.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 1 2010, 11:07 PM)

Well, if you're the type of person to abhor examining the truth of individual matters, then well, yeah, I guess this would be the worst topic possible.

I'm the type of person that thinks applying the term"Jumping the Shark" to a Rush album is the most ridiculous thing I have heard in nearly 5 years on the board, and their have been some absurd threads so congrats. atickhum.gif

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 2 2010, 07:36 AM)

I'm the type of person that thinks applying the term"Jumping the Shark" to a Rush album is the most ridiculous thing I have heard in nearly 5 years on the board, and their have been some absurd threads so congrats. atickhum.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 2 2010, 06:36 AM)

Yeah, but collectively, as in, 'with help from others', three seperate and distinct occurences of the band RUSH deliberately pandering to the mainstream Pop charts were detected and brought to light.

Why does that bother you so? Was there something you came across in one of my posts that maybe shattered an illusion you held of the band as being 'above and beyond' that type of behaviour?

I never was literal about the definition as applied to Rush, because, as someone pointed out, you can never 'unjump' the shark, and I've been happy with everything that the band has done since 1993...That's already a long time ago.

And, as myself and others have pointed out: if anything, the band can only ever be perceived as merely 'skipping the shark'....meaning that the 'not-so-noble' moves the band did adopt were of such a subtle nature, and indulged over such a long stretch of time, that you can't ever really point to a specific moment of time and go, "There!"

But, I don't think anyone should feel threatend by an intellectual dissection and discourse on any given subject...It forces a bunch of things up to the surface and into the light of day...Things that some people might not want to see, but, hey.

Plus, 2/3 of the TRF population thinks it never happened...1/3 believes it did, but can't agree on when...

I do think that the 15 votes accumulated in the block of time between Power Windows and Presto is a significant and meaningful result.

Means that there's something going on there.

No they never sold out.

But I know tons of people who jumped ship after Grace Under Pressure.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 2 2010, 03:37 PM)

Yeah, but collectively, as in, 'with help from others', three seperate and distinct occurences of the band RUSH deliberately pandering to the mainstream Pop charts were detected and brought to light.

Why does that bother you so? Was there something you came across in one of my posts that maybe shattered an illusion you held of the band as being 'above and beyond' that type of behaviour?

I never was literal about the definition as applied to Rush, because, as someone pointed out, you can never 'unjump' the shark, and I've been happy with everything that the band has done since 1993...That's already a long time ago.

And, as myself and others have pointed out: if anything, the band can only ever be perceived as merely 'skipping the shark'....meaning that the 'not-so-noble' moves the band did adopt were of such a subtle nature, and indulged over such a long stretch of time, that you can't ever really point to a specific moment of time and go, "There!"

But, I don't think anyone should feel threatend by an intellectual dissection and discourse on any given subject...It forces a bunch of things up to the surface and into the light of day...Things that some people might not want to see, but, hey.

To say Rush ever pandered to Mainstream pop is ridiculous. Nothing in this voting supports that remotely.

Writng songs you as a fan don't like is not pandering. Writing songs other people do like is not pandering. If what you are into happens to be popular or fit a popular format, that isn't pandering. It's only when they do something for the sole sake of popularity that they could be pandering. There is little evidence to support this and plenty to support that they have always approached musc the way THEY wanted.

I'm not angry about asking this question, but I think it's a ridiculous one to ask for the band whose hallmark is integrity.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 2 2010, 04:37 PM)

Wow, way too many words.

Dumb thread, that's all. atickhum.gif