People less friendly everywhere?

Lost In Xanadu

QUOTE (RushNut @ Aug 27 2010, 02:46 PM)
I think people are just about stressed over everything these days. With the economy the way it is and the ripple effect it has it's hard for many people to find happiness with what is happening to them.

People hate their jobs, but won't be able to find anything else, they're out of money, stock market sucks, property values suck, maybe one or two heads don't even have jobs...it goes on and on.

I can see why people aren't as nice as usual.

I think that's about 75% of it. I do. The economy has everyone stressed to some degree.

But there's also this sense of entitlement that seems disturbingly pervasive. The attitude that "I deserve this (parking space/special exception to cut in line/job that someone better qualified got/you name it); screw everyone else. I'm looking out for Numero Uno!" is everywhere.

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 27 2010, 03:18 PM)
QUOTE (RushNut @ Aug 27 2010, 02:46 PM)
I think people are just about stressed over everything these days.  With the economy the way it is and the ripple effect it has it's hard for many people to find happiness with what is happening to them.

People hate their jobs, but won't be able to find anything else, they're out of money, stock market sucks, property values suck, maybe one or two heads don't even have jobs...it goes on and on.

I can see why people aren't as nice as usual.

I think that's about 75% of it. I do. The economy has everyone stressed to some degree.

But there's also this sense of entitlement that seems disturbingly pervasive. The attitude that "I deserve this (parking space/special exception to cut in line/job that someone better qualified got/you name it); screw everyone else. I'm looking out for Numero Uno!" is everywhere.

Yes, I agree...I think that sense of entitlement goes back to making themselves feel better about feeling "bad" all the time...if that makes sense.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Aug 27 2010, 02:47 PM)
I got pulled over by a guy on horseback in Bmore!!

laugh.gif

(sorry, that just sounded funny)

Its mostly shit in more built-up and really urban and central areas. Southern States has amazingly nice people, and Western Canada (Alberta mostly) also has really nice people. Westerners and Southerners are usually nicer people.

Small towns really are friendlier - perhaps because they all pretty much know each other? When you're on a first-name basis with someone, and your spouses work together, the kids are in the same class - you're much less likely to let the door slam in their face, or steal their parking place.

I spent part of a summer in a small W. Va. town many years ago. Not impoverished like much of that state, but still very blue-collar and agricultural. About 800 people. They were SO nice.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Aug 27 2010, 07:45 PM)
I'm probably going to make everyone sick here, but where I live it is like turning the clock back.

Ok, to begin with, there aren't very many people here (village population 200), but without fail everyone is polite and courteous. No one is ever in a rush and they always stop to pass the time of day....in fact the only down side is that it can sometimes take a couple of hours to walk round simply because people just like to stop and "shoot the shit" (to use US parlance) with you.

Most of the front doors are unlocked and probably many of the cars parked on the street are too..no one would think of stealing anything..it's just that kind of place..it even has honesty boxes for you to pay for chicken and duck eggs that people leave outside for anyone who wishes.

Here, doors will be held open for you, you will always be asked if you need a hand with carrying anything, and please and thank you are parts of everyday vocabulary...there are several elderly frail residents and folk are always checking on them to make sure they are ok and just offering company.

Do I like where I live?.....you bet I do smile.gif

Its like that in a lot of communities around here, although, where I live now, where the population has, maybe trebled in the last ten years, things have changed.

The streets are full of youths who walk around, shouting, blaspheming, throwing their trash in peoples gardens, and taking over kiddies play-area's, covering the area in cigarette ends and broken beer bottles. They have been known on occasion to use the local estate as a race track. Its just not the same anymore.

As far as Milwaukee, I have to say, last weekend I would have agreed with you. I got cut off at least five times in a 2 minute trip to the grocery store Saturday.

I'd say that basic rudeness is encouraged,especially in t.v. shows. Couple that with stressed out soccer Moms racing in unSmart cars on the freeway, and you have some seriously rude behavior.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Aug 27 2010, 01:19 PM)
Lately I've been noticing the decline in niceness around me (save my home). Driving, nobody lets you merge, people don't hold the door open anymore and rarely saying hi to a stranger passing in the hall at work is responded to.

Is this common everywhere, or is Milwaukee behind the times or what?

guess I'm a little old school... I'm a fairly aggressive driver, and only am so toward aholes. I let people needing to merge or whatever merge and all of that. I hold the door open for people behind me when entering a building, but rarely have the door held open for me.

Just kinda sad about it all today for some reason.

goodpost.gif

I've had the same thoughts on several occasions. I try to be more gracious in response.

My hugest pet peeve is manners. So, if I hold the door open for someone else and they don't say thank you, you're going to get a crap look from me. I don't NEED to be polite but I choose to. Therefore, I expect the same in return. Same with driving. If I let you into my lane because you gave me fair warning via your turn signal that you wanted to move, please wave your hand at me.

Sounds like a lot of people in the big cities deal with non-niceness a lot but I will say, I spent a month in lower Manhattan doing a college internship. One (snowwy) evening I was exiting a store and did not know how many steps down into the street there were. Just like a movie, I fell flat on my face and was humiliated. But, the people around me on the street saw and at least 2 or 3 of them came over to see if I was OK. One guy really made sure I didn't hurt myself. It was surprising, I didn't think people would really turn around and help me up!

Where I live (western Wisconsin, SE Minnesota), people almost always say thanks for having the door opened for them. Drivers do tend to let you merge into their lanes. Actually, drivers in my area are TOO nice. I don't think they know how to use their horns! You could cut them off all day long, and they'll just slow or stop without so much as an expletive. I DO use my horn at asshole drivers who cut me off, and they look at me like I'M the asshole.

My town's biggest problem is this - too many people don't know the difference between "Entrance" and "Exit". rage.gif

I walk into the grocery store (via the ENTRANCE DOOR), and some idiot is coming right at me with a full cart. I walk out of the WalMart, and seven twits are coming right at me....and they expect ME to move out of their way..... banghead.gif I find that extremely rude. Sometimes I just stop, hold my position, and stare them down as they go by.....and they act like nothing is wrong.... banghead.gif banghead.gif

Archived