I finally did it!

Tarkus406

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 3 2010, 10:31 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Sep 3 2010, 06:03 AM)
At least you didn't get this one...
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll215/TPesch2112/Smashed4001-1.jpg

Did that one come off the plane in your signature?

(sorry, couldn't resist tongue.gif)

From what I remember about that pic., I think it was rolled over by a truck. doh.gif You can see the tire track on the open part of the case.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Sep 4 2010, 08:58 AM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 3 2010, 10:31 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Sep 3 2010, 06:03 AM)
At least you didn't get this one...
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll215/TPesch2112/Smashed4001-1.jpg

Did that one come off the plane in your signature?

(sorry, couldn't resist tongue.gif)

From what I remember about that pic., I think it was rolled over by a truck. doh.gif You can see the tire track on the open part of the case.

ohmy.gif

062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif sad.gif

Something that old is bound to have its issues so don't worry about all that. Just take it to a man you trust and he'll get it straightened out. Over the years I have had to have several fretboard related repairs from years of use and - well - it's probably older than you. Ya know?

Take it all in stride. If it plays well that's all that matters.

Here's how you set up a RIC* for your World Domination Tour:

http://www.chroniclesofrush.com/images/GaryBash.png

*No picks were used** or needed for the creation of this image.

**Assholes.

1022.gif

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Sep 6 2010, 11:27 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Sep 3 2010, 09:03 AM)
**censored**

Don't ever post an image like this again. Just the sight of it made my teeth hurt. Damn....

I know, that was bloody awful to look at sad.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Sep 3 2010, 10:03 AM)
I would be very cautious about those 'splits' since you mentioned that they are under the first five frets. That is the area that is affected with the truss rods. Have you removed the TRC and inspected the rods? Are the threaded rods sticking way out of the nuts? If so, those rods have been turned A LOT. They might need to be replaced.

Well I heard some feedback from the repair shop and that's exactly what came from their mouths. It hasn't gotten up to the guy who will actually be doing the repairs yet...so there may still be a chance..but from what I'm hearing, this bass is toast. I'm so crushed sad.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 7 2010, 05:27 PM)
I would be very cautious about those 'splits' since you mentioned that they are under the first five frets. That is the area that is affected with the truss rods. Have you removed the TRC and inspected the rods? Are the threaded rods sticking way out of the nuts? If so, those rods have been turned A LOT. They might need to be replaced.

Well I heard some feedback from the repair shop and that's exactly what came from their mouths. It hasn't gotten up to the guy who will actually be doing the repairs yet...so there may still be a chance..but from what I'm hearing, this bass is toast. I'm so crushed sad.gif

Hope it's still salvagable and that you'll be slappin' and pluckin' that RIC soon enough

Honestly, this is looking like a sour deal. The guy was selling a musical instrument -- he should have known the deal with every square centimeter of that instrument, and his item description should have reflected everything. He should have known about those splits, no matter how hard they were to see.

Or, he knew about the splits and was hoping you wouldn't notice them. Either way, it is my opinion that he is an irresponsible seller and I'm wondering if all this trouble you're going through right now is worth it.

I think you'd be better off just returning the bass for a full refund and waiting for the right Ric to come along.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 7 2010, 04:39 PM)

Honestly, this is looking like a sour deal. The guy was selling a musical instrument -- he should have known the deal with every square centimeter of that instrument, and his item description should have reflected everything. He should have known about those splits, no matter how hard they were to see.

Or, he knew about the splits and was hoping you wouldn't notice them. Either way, it is my opinion that he is an irresponsible seller and I'm wondering if all this trouble you're going through right now is worth it.

I think you'd be better off just returning the bass for a full refund and waiting for the right Ric to come along.

I concur. Unless you get some incredible news from the repairman, get a full refund ASAP. The longer you wait, the harder it is. Paypal will hold the funds for a certain period of time and I'm willing to bet that this guy is pressuring them to release it. I have heard of them releasing the funds to the seller early, so you have no time to spare. Call the repair guy and get him to look at it... like today, so you can begin the process and you don't lose out.

It could be an honest mistake by the seller, but that doesn't mean he isn't liable for the misrepresentation of the bass. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope you get a refund and find the perfect Ric. Good luck and keep us posted.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Sep 7 2010, 06:30 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 7 2010, 04:39 PM)

I concur. Unless you get some incredible news from the repairman, get a full refund ASAP. The longer you wait, the harder it is. Paypal will hold the funds for a certain period of time and I'm willing to bet that this guy is pressuring them to release it. I have heard of them releasing the funds to the seller early, so you have no time to spare. Call the repair guy and get him to look at it... like today, so you can begin the process and you don't lose out.

It could be an honest mistake by the seller, but that doesn't mean he isn't liable for the misrepresentation of the bass. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope you get a refund and find the perfect Ric. Good luck and keep us posted.

Yes, making sure PayPal doesn't release those funds is your #1 priority right now. As soon as you read these posts, make sure of it.

The seller seems reasonable so far, but that can change. Jaye brought up an interesting point: just to cover your bases, ask the repairman if he thinks those splits could have happened during shipping. I'm guessing he'll say there were there before it was shipped. Whatever the repair shop says about these splits -- whether they do any actual work on the bass or not -- get them to put their findings/opinions and repair estimates in writing. The more detail, the better. If you're going for a full refund -- and we're talking a nice chunk of money here -- the more things you have in your corner, the better.

Most likely the seller knew about it......how could you not know about a problem this big?? I would try to get my money back now, whether it can be repaired or not..... Get your money back and buy another one.

Paypal really suck to deal with (in my experiences). Good luck.....hope it works out.

sux.

I've bought some amps that needed $100 of work off ebay to be 100%, both times the seller was pretty cool and we split the cost. It happens, maybe it transit maybe they knew, doesn't matter...if it cost less than 300 to fix have the seller pay at least 200 of it and you still have a nice bass at a good deal.

but yeah, be firm. Tell them you want x% of the repairs or you are opening a dispute. And get the money through paypal before repairs are started.

gl

Edited by jdouglas

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 7 2010, 05:39 PM)

Yeah I have to go with what you're saying on this now. I just went down to pick up the bass, pulled the plug on the repairs. I don't want them touching it if I'm trying to return it.

*after a conversation with seller*

Alright well I'm not sure if I can even get a damn refund on this now. The guy's bein pretty shady and suggesting damage during transit (psh). I'm not going to let this go lightly, but it's possible I'm f*cked facepalm.gif

Never...ever...doing this again.

Edit to add that his ebay page had some fine print saying the sale was final angry.gif

Edited by Tarkus406

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 7 2010, 09:08 PM)

Yeah I have to go with what you're saying on this now. I just went down to pick up the bass, pulled the plug on the repairs. I don't want them touching it if I'm trying to return it.

Alright well I'm not sure if I can even get a damn refund on this now. The guy's bein pretty shady and suggesting damage during transit (psh). I'm not going to let this go lightly, but it's possible I'm f*cked facepalm.gif

Edit to add that his ebay page had some fine print saying the sale was final angry.gif

Can you post a link to the auction page?

You have ebay buyers protection on that item:

"Just contact us if your item hasn't arrived or isn't as described to open a case. We're available from 5:00 AM-10:00 PM Pacific Standard Time (PST), every day. We'll contact the seller and ask them to resolve the issue. After 7 days (or 10 days, in case of international transactions), we'll ask you how it's going with the seller. If you tell us that the problem cannot be resolved between you and the seller, and your case qualifies for and is covered by eBay Buyer Protection, eBay will refund your full purchase price plus original shipping into your PayPal account."

You don't need the seller to cooperate. Ebay will refund your money since the item was not as described and you had a repair tech verify that. The auction is below, says nothing about issues or splits, etc...

Ric Auction Here

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 7 2010, 05:08 PM)

Doesn't mean a thing if he didn't disclose it was broken. Should be able to tell if it was done during transit or pre-existing as well. Fight him all the way!

I contacted Paypal by telephone just now and they suggested I open a dispute with the seller if he chooses not to cooperate. I'm calling the seller tomorrow afternoon to get his final decision on what to do, and if we don't reach an agreement I'm opening the dispute against the transaction. I am getting a detailed description of the damage from my repair guy, who definately thinks it happened from someone f*ckin with the truss rods, not shipping.

The lady on the phone told me I'd have a rather good case. I have printed out all of the emails I shared with the seller about the bass as well as the auction page with the false statements highlighted on everything. On top of that I took detail photographs of the damage and for the hell of it took a sound recording of how the damage affects the playability of the instrument (sounds like a fart laugh.gif )

Tomorrow when I talk to the guy I'm not going to mention I talked to Paypal already and we'll see how it goes. If all fails, I'll open this thing right up. Wish me luck people!

I swear once (if) I get my money back I'm goin right to New York City and buying a Ric that I can PLAY first! 1287.gif

Sakes... talk about being on all fours and takin' it up the tail pipe. You should have just bought one from the store... aww well. Live and learn right. I'd give him a HORRIBLE seller rating on eBay as well if I were you. That way he wont be able to screw over anyone else.

Tarkus:

How bad can the actual repair be? I've seen my guy repair guitars where they literally have been axe-murdered for a couple hundred bucks and they play just fine.

I bought a Boogie power amp off eBay that was completely hosed when I got it. It looks like the UPS driver actually dropped it 7 or 8 times. Not being sure if it was shipped like that or a valid UPS claim I filed a dispute with PayPal and it locked their account up meaning they couldn't even get the money that was sent to them for the piece until the matter was addressed and the UPS claim was done.

I received my $ back very shortly thereafter.

If this guy is a complete shady fucktoss then do not hesitate on the dispute. Nothing gets people's attention quite like their bank account being frozen.

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Sep 6 2010, 11:24 AM)
Something that old is bound to have its issues so don't worry about all that. Just take it to a man you trust and he'll get it straightened out. Over the years I have had to have several fretboard related repairs from years of use and - well - it's probably older than you. Ya know?

**Assholes.

1022.gif

Just saw this post.

CoR, what's with that little tag at the end? Was that necessary? Are you calling a few of us assholes because we argued your opinion about playing bass with a pick?

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Sep 8 2010, 07:51 AM)
Tarkus:

How bad can the actual repair be? I've seen my guy repair guitars where they literally have been axe-murdered for a couple hundred bucks and they play just fine.

I bought a Boogie power amp off eBay that was completely hosed when I got it. It looks like the UPS driver actually dropped it 7 or 8 times. Not being sure if it was shipped like that or a valid UPS claim I filed a dispute with PayPal and it locked their account up meaning they couldn't even get the money that was sent to them for the piece until the matter was addressed and the UPS claim was done.

I received my $ back very shortly thereafter.

If this guy is a complete shady fucktoss then do not hesitate on the dispute. Nothing gets people's attention quite like their bank account being frozen.

I tried contacting him all day yesterday and left messages, never got a response, so last night I filed the dispute. Now the waiting...September 28th is the last day the dispute will stay open until it either closes or I up it to a claim, which I'll do if there's still no response. This guy's a jerk, but I'll get him 1287.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 8 2010, 08:53 AM)
QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Sep 6 2010, 11:24 AM)

**Assholes.

1022.gif

Just saw this post.

CoR, what's with that little tag at the end? Was that necessary? Are you calling a few of us assholes because we argued your opinion about playing bass with a pick?

I thought it was a bit inflammatory as well. Those kinds of comments aren't really needed. no.gif