I finally did it!

Tarkus406

No - I am not calling you an asshole for arguing (..the f**k?) with me about anything.

I am just re-enforcing my beliefs on what a real bass player is.

A quick story if I may? GREAT!

When auditioning new bass players for Chronicles I ran an ad that specifically said "If you play with a pick stay @ home" and sure as shit the first guy that showed up was a "bassist" with pick in hand.

I sent him away immediately without even hearing him even though my drummer was all like, "WHY DID YOU DO THAT HE MIGHT HAVE BEEN WHAT WE NEEDED!?"

Not quite.

The next guy through the door was one John Dyke who is quite possibly the best RUSH bassist I have ever had the pleasure to play with. As you can see he doesn't like picks either.

Lesson learned? You betcha! Stand by your convictions and they will serve you well in life. You can argue up and down [on things you really have no idea about] all you want but I stand by what I said.

Don't waste your time on things you know to be wrong.

Playing bass with a pick is wrong.

Fin.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Sep 9 2010, 03:18 PM)
No - I am not calling you an asshole for arguing (..the f**k?) with me about anything.

When auditioning new bass players for Chronicles I ran an ad that specifically said "If you play with a pick stay @ home" and sure as shit the first guy that showed up was a "bassist" with pick in hand.

I sent him away immediately without even hearing him even though my drummer was all like, "WHY DID YOU DO THAT HE MIGHT HAVE BEEN WHAT WE NEEDED!?"

Not quite.

The next guy through the door was one John Dyke who is quite possibly the best RUSH bassist I have ever had the pleasure to play with. As you can see he doesn't like picks either.

Lesson learned? You betcha! Stand by your convictions and they will serve you well in life. You can argue up and down [on things you really have no idea about] all you want but I stand by what I said.

Fin.

Well...playing RUSH with a pick is wrong...I've tried playing YYZ with a pick and it was retarded no.gif

Some things just need to be played on bass by fingers and nothing more. I, for one, never use a pick on a bass. It's unnatural to me. That's just me, though.

To me, a bassist who benefits from a pick is a bassist who only has to worry about playing quarter notes the whole song...maybe a couple of eighth notes here and there, and a total of 3 or 4 notes throughout. That's just an observation I've made about bassists who pick. I haven't seen to many good ones confused13.gif

But if you want to play complex lines where you're jumping back and forth between strings in fractions of a beat, fingers are the best for that. 1022.gif

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Sep 9 2010, 11:18 AM)

Not quite.

Fin.

Standing by your convictions is only honourable when those convictions are based on reality and not some absurd prejudice. Is Roger Waters not a "real" bassist? Paul McCartney? Chris Squire? Jason Newstead? The list goes on. Hell, even John Entwistle, arguably the greatest rock bassist ever, used them ocassionally. It's just a different style. It's like disregarding Geddy's playing because he doesn't do slap. You don't have to play that way, you don't even have to like it, but to associate it in any way with talent is just damned ignorant.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 9 2010, 05:10 PM)
To me, a bassist who benefits from a pick is a bassist who only has to worry about playing quarter notes the whole song...maybe a couple of eighth notes here and there, and a total of 3 or 4 notes throughout. That's just an observation I've made about bassists who pick. I haven't seen to many good ones confused13.gif
But if you want to play complex lines where you're jumping back and forth between strings in fractions of a beat, fingers are the best for that. 1022.gif

There's nothing a finger bassist can do that Chris Squire can't do.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 9 2010, 05:28 PM)

Not quite.

Fin.

Standing by your convictions is only honourable when those convictions are based on reality and not some absurd prejudice. Is Roger Waters not a "real" bassist? Paul McCartney? Chris Squire? Jason Newstead? The list goes on. Hell, even John Entwistle, arguably the greatest rock bassist ever, used them ocassionally. It's just a different style. It's like disregarding Geddy's playing because he doesn't do slap. You don't have to play that way, you don't even have to like it, but to associate it in any way with talent is just damned ignorant.

Exactly. Especially those first and last sentences.

Geddy doesn't use a pick, and yet, of the four bassists who were his biggest influences -- Chris Squire, Paul McCartney, John Entwistle and Jack Bruce -- three of them used a pick either all the time or part of the time. That means he was more influenced by WHAT they played and how they sounded than HOW they played, right? Sounds like Ged had his priorities straight.

It's fine if you prefer playing with fingers, but this isn't old-school jazz and we're not talking about playing an upright bass. This is rock and roll. Picks are allowed. Being a technique snob only limits you.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 9 2010, 06:26 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 9 2010, 05:28 PM)

Not quite.

Fin.

Exactly. Especially those first and last sentences.

Geddy doesn't use a pick, and yet, of the four bassists who were his biggest influences -- Chris Squire, Paul McCartney, John Entwistle and Jack Bruce -- three of them used a pick either all the time or part of the time. That means he was more influenced by WHAT they played and how they sounded than HOW they played, right? Sounds like Ged had his priorities straight.

It's fine if you prefer playing with fingers, but this isn't old-school jazz and we're not talking about playing an upright bass. This is rock and roll. Picks are allowed. Being a technique snob only limits you.

And please don't treat other musicians like you did the bassist who tried out with a pick. At least, let the guy play. I mean, come on man. That is just a crappy thing to do, if that is true.

Just a few bassists that use or have used picks.

CAROL KAYE

PAUL MCCARTNEY

BILL WYMAN

JOHN ENTWISTLE

JOHN PAUL JONES

ROGER WATERS

CHRIS SQUIRE

ANDY WEST

Geezer Butler

Glenn Hughes

Ray Shulman (from Gentle Giant)

Lemmy

Ian Hill

Jimmy Bain

Tony Levin

Tom Hamilton

John Deacon

Gene Simmons

Roger Glover

Mike Inez

Jason Newstead

Cliff Williams

Eddie Jackson (Queensryche) uses a pick in the studio

John Taylor

Tony Franklin

Bootsy Collins

Justin Chancellor (of Tool)

Flea has used a pick

Stu Hamm has used a pick

Billy Sheehan has used a pick

Anthony Jackson

T-Bone Wolk

Oteil Burbridge (with Allman Bros.)

Steve Swallow

Jerry Peek

Dave LaRue

Phil Lesh

Mike Gordon

Peter Cetera

Tom Fowler

Scott Thunes

Sting

Tiran Porter (Doobies: Taking it to the Streets)

Tom Peterson (Cheap Trick)

Mike Rutherford

Greg Lake

Jim Chrichton (Saga)

Phil Lynott

Doug Pinnick, Kings X

Bob Daisley

Jeff Amment

Robert Trujilo

Berry Oakley (with the Allman Bros.)

Leon Wilkeson (of Lynyrd Skynyrd)

Dave Schools (of Widespread Panic)

MOD EDIT: added Dave Larue to the list. Had to. wink.gif

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

Hey Derek, just saw this thread. I remember you mentioning at the PNC show that your bass was all effed up. I hope it works out in your favor. Don't give up too easily. Ebay's reputation is on the line here. It's shady deals like this that give Ebay a bad name.

Fight to the death! 1287.gif

Ok...maybe not to the death. But, don't give up.

Good luck!

QUOTE (Natch @ Sep 10 2010, 03:56 PM)
Hey Derek, just saw this thread. I remember you mentioning at the PNC show that your bass was all effed up. I hope it works out in your favor. Don't give up too easily. Ebay's reputation is on the line here. It's shady deals like this that give Ebay a bad name.

Fight to the death! 1287.gif

Good luck!

It's all good, the fighting's over. Paypal reviewed the claim and made a decision real quick! I'm gettin a refund new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Just gotta ship the bass back to the guy and once he signs for it, badaboom I got my 1400 smackers back! 653.gif

Second attempt at a Rickenbacker 4001, here I come! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 10 2010, 07:56 PM)

Fight to the death!  1287.gif

Good luck!

It's all good, the fighting's over. Paypal reviewed the claim and made a decision real quick! I'm gettin a refund new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Just gotta ship the bass back to the guy and once he signs for it, badaboom I got my 1400 smackers back! 653.gif

Excellent work! Glad PayPal came through for you.

Now, be patient and wait for the right Ric to come along. yes.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 10 2010, 06:56 PM)

Fight to the death!  1287.gif

Good luck!

Glad to hear everything is working out man. I hate to hear about anyone getting screwed on music equipment. There are deals to be found out there in this economy. Lots of people are selling their stuff. Good luck.

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Sep 9 2010, 12:18 PM)

Not quite.

Fin.

The only lesson here is that you are rude.

Not that I am not, but that's all I gather from this little "story."

Geddy played with a pick on the intro to Jacob's Ladder.

I play bass with my fingers, but will use a pick for songs that need more aggression or percussion. Then again I play more than just Rush professionally and sometimes a songwriter asks me to use a pick. Should I turn down the money and not play with a pick then lose business? Whatever the situation calls for is the right answer. Being a dick rarely is (but still is sometimes, like now). smile.gif

What about finger picks? I have used those to play bass. Are those wrong too? How about Tony Levin's little stick jobs? Those are kinds of picks.

QUOTE (Jaye @ Sep 13 2010, 07:11 PM)
Now that Tarky's problem is sorted, is this going to turn into a debate about playing bass with a pick?? eyesre4.gif

That's what it turned into before my problem was even sorted laugh.gif

Now my next mission is to find another Ric wacko.gif

Edited by Tarkus406

Nice to hear you got a refund. Be very careful on the next one, this is an extremely common problem to all 4001's - no way this happened in transit, and no way the seller didn't know about it.

A common misconception is that the 4001 could not accomodate the added string tension of Roundwounds, which is not true. The fretboard separation that occurs on the lower 5 frets of the 4001s occurs during trussrod adjustment, not after higher tension strings are put on.

When everybody started putting Roundwounds on their Ric's in the 70's, the action came up due to added string tension, so out came the Allen keys, a couple of turns and crack! Off comes the fretboard. What was needed to be done was to actually push the neck into place and then make the truss rod adjustment. The truss rod design did not allow truss rod torque to be sufficient to actually pull that massive neck into position, you had to help it along with your hands before tightening the rods. As a result of improper truss rod adjustment technique, many 4001's have this fretboard separation at the first 5 frets. This is well documented in the Ric forum. Repairable, but severely impacts resale value. That's the first thing to look for in a 4001 - ask for close up pictures of the neck binding for the first 5 frets on both sides.

The 4003 truss rod design was modified so that regular truss rod ajdustment technique will not damage the neck. Still, I wouldn't touch the truss rods on mine - some things are better left to the experts!