I finally did it!

Tarkus406

Now that you have both, nice par btw, can you see why Ged uses the Jazz now? I have no idea, I liked the Ric, says Rush to me. Nice score. Edited by ridertoo98

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ridertoo98 @ Sep 20 2010, 08:15 PM)
Now that you have both, nice par btw, can you see why Ged uses the Jazz now? I have no idea, I liked the Ric, says Rush to me. Nice score.

I can see why he plays the Jazz bass all the time now, seeing that the neck is more comfortable and the bass is lighter. But each bass has its own sound you can't get from the other. I love both sounds a lot new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 21 2010, 03:59 PM)
The J also contours to one's body and the Ric as sharper edges.

But, the Ric looks so damn cool with those sharp edges. I love the way the Ric looks. If I was a pro bass man, I would definitely have one and have to get over any sharp trauma that may ensue.

I gotta go with Cow on this one. Sharper edges are damn cool. What I love about the Rickenbacker body is that it's a lot thinner than the jazz bass. And that's probably why there are sharper edges. The jazz has enough thickness so there's room for the large radius roundovers. I find no discomfort with the Rickenbacker, despite the sharpness of the edges, which I don't find digging into my body in any uncomfortable way. Both basses are A+'s in my bass gradebook new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 21 2010, 03:59 PM)
The J also contours to one's body and the Ric as sharper edges.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Sep 21 2010, 06:48 PM)
But, the Ric looks so damn cool with those sharp edges. I love the way the Ric looks. If I was a pro bass man, I would definitely have one and have to get over any sharp trauma that may ensue.

Love that Rick-O-Sound! Here is my 1977 4001... yep, them sharp edged cut, just like it sounds! wink.gif

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/rushbass/myspace/931c85ac.jpg

Edited by rushbass

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Aug 26 2010, 05:20 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 26 2010, 05:43 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 26 2010, 04:49 PM)
Agreed. I still have the original R bridge on mine. Don't monkey with the value of that instrument.

Would he have to drill new holes to put a Badass bridge on there? Does Badass make a direct replacement bridge for the Ric?

That's the main thing about it. If the screwholes were exactly the same I would feel better about it, just being careful not to strip the threads and to keep the original bridge. Stuff like that is alright in my opinion. I actually plan on making a new pickguard out of Corian similar to what I did with my jazz bass. But as long as I keep the original pickguards to those instruments, I'm not losing anything. Easily switched back.

Hipshot makes a direct replacement bridge for Rickenbackers. I put one on mine and it's great. It's tedious and frustrating trying to adjust the action or intonation on the stock bridges. The Hipshot also allows you to adjust the string spacing.

Yeah, that one was covered somewhere around page 3 or 4. smile.gif

The Ric does look cool. It took me a while to like the J shape actually. My dad has an old P from his regular playing days so I was used to looking at the symmetrical shape of the lower body, but the J has the extra pickup giving it that bite and edge in tone which was more appealing to me. Even in a stand a J can be difficult, but they play like a dream!

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 28 2010, 03:14 AM)
Yeah, that one was covered somewhere around page 3 or 4. smile.gif

The Ric does look cool. It took me a while to like the J shape actually. My dad has an old P from his regular playing days so I was used to looking at the symmetrical shape of the lower body, but the J has the extra pickup giving it that bite and edge in tone which was more appealing to me. Even in a stand a J can be difficult, but they play like a dream!

That would be so kewl to have a dad that played bass, Cyg. You're lucky. My dad wouldn't even support my musical education past high school.

Wow! Nice Rik!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif