Bringing Kids To The Show...

crunch

Ok.

Me and Mrs. Crunch are going to see the guys in San Antonio.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice.

However, we're thinking about bringing the entire family to see them in Houston, and sitting lawn seating. Thoughts? Kids are 9/11/13. Rush always seemed to possess a slightly more intellectual crowd (read: not terribly annoying), but will it be some kinda crazy drunken idiot party back there, can one actually SEE from back there, or can we expect a pretty good time?

(whoops, my youngest just a birthday - Mrs. Crunch is now mocking me. Crap.)

Edited by crunch

I took my oldest to the Test For Echo tour when he was 7, and my other two to Snakes & Arrows at 9 and 12. They had a blast. There's always a chance that some drunk idiot will be nearby, and they may hear some salty langauge and possibly smell something funny, but overall it's a cool experience for them.

I was at the Chicago show last night, and saw lots of kids rocking out and having a great time.

Note, however, make sure they are wearing ear plugs.

Finally, just be aware that you will be ruining all future concert going experiences for them, as they are starting with the best band they will ever see. It's all downhill from there.

- TMD

Edited by The Mighty Dudad

I think you'll have a good time, and think the lawn is a good choice for bringing the family. I brought my son when he was around 8 or 9. I think he was more interested in watching the crowd than the show itself, but he seemed to enjoy it overall. He also complained about the loudness of the show and some guy appeared out of nowhere and gave him some earplugs to muffle the sound. I would highly recommend bringing a couple pair of earplugs.

Go for it, the band has clean fun (no "How the F*** is it going Milwaukee?!?") and I have never had a hard time with people around me, although I have never been to that venue.

When I saw them in Milwaukee, there was a 5yr old girl a few seats down that sang EVERY song, start to finish, in the Moving Pictures set. Pretty cool to see.

I went with my cousin and his 8 and 13 year old sons. They had a blast! Like someone else stated...get ear plugs for the kids.

I took my daughter to her first Rush show when she was 5. I started her on the Grateful Dead when she was 3 (or 4...I forget). She loves going to concerts. It turned into "our thing". We have A LOT of great memories from the concerts we attended together. She is 18 and in college now and we are going to the Atlanta show in September. It will be her 11th Rush show. Both of us are excited about seeing another show together.

Took my 11 year old nephew to his first "major" concert in Wichita. I bought him some 'Hearos' and had him wear them. When we first sat in our seats the largest, MOST obnoxious trailer park 'Bubba'...and his 'kin folk'.....were right in front of us - dropping f-bombs, "I ohn't geeve-a-sheet who's har other'n me!" attitude a-flyin'. SERIOUSLY, if you are at a show.....there are other people around you!!! KIDS as well!! Do you really HAVE to act like that? Really?? angry.gif Anyway, my nephew had to go to the bathroom and I followed him up. On the way back, I spotted some empty seats in very back of the section and we sat there for the night....MUCH better people in front of us and around us! Had a great time!!

Thanks folks... After reading the responses here and a quick call to the venue to more or less "gauge the barometer" of what it would be like as it pertains to "drunken fukwits", I'm going for it. Why the hell not? Of course, I'm hoping the guys get the album completed and get back to San Antonio pronto so we can sit and watch inside...

FWIW, the kids are pretty evenly split between Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Test For Echo and Vapor Trails... And, my oldest, "the G" gets pissed whenever anyone talks during Jacob's Ladder, the youngest sings Dog Years really loudly, and the middle one is baffled Geddy (The Gedster? Gedley? Glee?) can play bass, keys and sing at once, so I guess they ready ARE ready, lol...

My son was initially gravely concerned that Neal didn't play ALL his drums, as we watch the Test For Echo/Work in Progress DVD lot's and we never quite noticed him hit the tiny 6" or 8" splash on top of the ride... UNTIL we finally saw it get hit I think at the end of "Virtuality" (or whatever song is last on the disk...)... Then he said... "Wow. I guess he does. He is the best drummer..."

Took my two oldest (8.5 and 7) to their first show in Camden. No problems at all -- everyone was really cool, and a few random folks high-fived them on the way in/out. Going again to the hometown show in Bristow in a few weeks.

Just bring earplugs for them.

Peace,

Ron

San Antonio?

People don't get drunk and act crazy in Texas......do they?

Take the kids.......have a good time!

1022.gif 2.gif