Star Trek

progrush2112

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 7 2011, 06:28 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 6 2011, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 6 2011, 10:22 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 6 2011, 08:25 PM)
So, they wouldn't be remaking The Wrath of Khan, only telling a new Khan story.

I don't see how they could do that. The Enterprise came across the Botany Bay, awakened Khan and his crew, and then Khan immediately tried to take the ship. What other story is there to tell?

Everything has changed! Maybe the come across Khan sooner or later then the originally did or may Khan threatens the Vulcans that survived? The possibilities are endless!!

Yes, the possibilities are endless, which is why the producers of Star Trek will not be regurgitating a Khan story.

The whole point of the Star Trek reboot was to open up the entire film series to new adventures - not repeats. The characters' destinies were changed, their futures rewritten. There is no reason to copy one of the older films.

If the producers redo a Khan film, then what's after that - more whales? Another Search for Spock? They can do better..... yes.gif

You seem fixated on "remake" or "redo". IF they eventually use the Kahn character it won't be to "remake" or "redo" a story, they will tell a new story. That's the point of the reboot. Anyway, it' not gonna be Kahn...

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one said botany bay had to be discovered by the Enterprise this time. Someone else could have discovered them. Perhaps the Romulans, who would see it as a cleverly disguised plot by the federation. Perhaps not the Klingons, because then it would likely sound like the Enterprise episode with the augments. However, maybe even if the vulcans wind up discovering it.....it could be cool.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 7 2011, 06:47 AM)
You seem fixated on "remake" or "redo". IF they eventually use the Khan character it won't be to "remake" or "redo" a story, they will tell a new story. That's the point of the reboot. Anyway, it' not gonna be Khan...

I'm not fixated on anything. I am merely pointing out that any attempt to bring back the character of Khan would not be a good idea. They can't recapture the magic of that film, as it was unique.

Like you said, the point of the reboot was to tell new stories. Why, then, would they want to bring back Khan? IMO, that's not telling a new story. That's going back to an old story. I would hope that the producers don't chain themselves to the characters of the previous films. They would do better to create new ones.... yes.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 7 2011, 09:01 PM)
You seem fixated on "remake" or "redo". IF they eventually use the Khan character it won't be to "remake" or "redo" a story, they will tell a new story. That's the point of the reboot. Anyway, it' not gonna be Khan...

I'm not fixated on anything. I am merely pointing out that any attempt to bring back the character of Khan would not be a good idea. They can't recapture the magic of that film, as it was unique.

Like you said, the point of the reboot was to tell new stories. Why, then, would they want to bring back Khan? IMO, that's not telling a new story. That's going back to an old story. I would hope that the producers don't chain themselves to the characters of the previous films. They would do better to create new ones.... yes.gif

Well, apparently, they are bringing back an old character for the next movie. So, the producers and writers are doing the opposite of what you think they should. Anyway, I have no problem with them bringing Kahn back for future movies. Kahn is a great character, it would be a shame not to explore him further, especially if they cast the right actor, kind of like they did with Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, Uhura, etc.

Why not KAAAHHHNNNN!!!!!!!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 7 2011, 08:12 PM)

Because his name is spelled KHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tongue.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 7 2011, 09:28 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 7 2011, 08:12 PM)

Because his name is spelled KHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tongue.gif laugh.gif

Damn you!!!! KHAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!!

KHAAAAA--

Okay I'm done.

Random question! Are any of you into the 'Trek novels? I got hooked on the Enterprise series (Trip's "death" was TOTALLY a conspiracy! O:) which takes place post-"These Are the Voyages..". But so far it's only a trilogy. The books are by Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin, and I'd highly recommend them even if you weren't nuts about ENT.

I also picked up the (maybe?) latest DS9 Relaunch novel. I loved the unofficial series of sorts and "The Rough Beasts of Empire (Typhon Pact series)" is really, really good. But any book where I get Sisko and Spock between the same covers is awesome to me.

I almost prefer the novels to the series because, while never "canon", are free to go outside that realm. You get more crossovers, more backstory, wider interpretations... I find it kind of refreshing!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 8 2011, 10:12 AM)
QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 7 2011, 09:01 PM)

Well, apparently, they are bringing back an old character for the next movie. So, the producers and writers are doing the opposite of what you think they should. Anyway, I have no problem with them bringing Kahn back for future movies. Kahn is a great character, it would be a shame not to explore him further, especially if they cast the right actor, kind of like they did with Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, Uhura, etc.

If they're smart they'd go with the really old school butthead guys from The Menagerie/The Cage.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/epics/TOS16a.jpghttp://www.homevideos.com/freezes-tv/Trek-Menagerie37.jpeghttp://www.homevideos.com/freezes-tv/Trek-Menagerie44.jpeg

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Apr 7 2011, 11:26 PM)
KHAAAAA--
Okay I'm done.

Random question! Are any of you into the 'Trek novels? I got hooked on the Enterprise series (Trip's "death" was TOTALLY a conspiracy! O:) which takes place post-"These Are the Voyages..". But so far it's only a trilogy. The books are by Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin, and I'd highly recommend them even if you weren't nuts about ENT.

I also picked up the (maybe?) latest DS9 Relaunch novel. I loved the unofficial series of sorts and "The Rough Beasts of Empire (Typhon Pact series)" is really, really good. But any book where I get Sisko and Spock between the same covers is awesome to me.

I almost prefer the novels to the series because, while never "canon", are free to go outside that realm. You get more crossovers, more backstory, wider interpretations... I find it kind of refreshing!

I tried reading a few TNG novels, but I found the character's personalities were different, so I never finished them. Characters being IN character is really important to me when I read a book. When I have time over the summer I'm definetely considering picking up one of the Enterprise or DS9 relaunch novels.

Just to start some more conversation, has anybody heard the two Enterprise openings? I personally preferred the first version a lot more. The melody seemed to reinforce the idea of evolution being portrayed by the video. The second I found to be overly reminiscent of songs by artists like James Blunt.

For those who haven't heard them:

Star Trek: Enterprise season 1-2 opening theme

QUOTE (usb_connector @ May 1 2011, 05:50 PM)
Just to start some more conversation, has anybody heard the two Enterprise openings? I personally preferred the first version a lot more. The melody seemed to reinforce the idea of evolution being portrayed by the video. The second I found to be overly reminiscent of songs by artists like James Blunt.

Star Trek: Enterprise season 3-4 opening theme

Nooo, seasons 3-4, if only because I associate those seasons with being far superior to the first two. (Yes, I liked the Xindi crisis era. And season four was stellar beyond reason.

...ALTERNATE UNIVERSE, OH MY GAWD YES.

And Trip/T'Pol. Yaay.)

I prefer the upbeat version of the song. And that beat in the background. Just me, though. The original version does have its virtues, though.

But we all know Voyager had the best opening music. |D

And I thought BSG was okay. I never really got into it; wasn't much my cup of tea. Watched a few episodes if I was bored enough and it was on Sci-Fi (Syfy?). But isn't comparing BSG to Star Trek kind of like comparing Star Trek and Star Wars, or Fringe and X-Files? They're similar but way too different for fair comparison. Heck, you can't even fairly compare different 'Trek series because some of them had way different plotlines. Different things are good about different series. Some plots worked and some didn't.

On that thought... What are your guys' opinions on Voyager? It's often regarded as the least popular, sometimes after ENT (which I love!), but it had its moments: Good (like when Seven of Nine joined in) and bad (like "Threshold".. 'nuff said). I've also heard others comment that it just got too monotonous.. Always trying to find their way home, later running into the Borg all the time so they practically became "Villian of the Week", a handful of not-so-great episodes...

What's your take? Great idea or did it fall flat?

QUOTE (CMWriter @ May 8 2011, 02:40 PM)

Nooo, seasons 3-4, if only because I associate those seasons with being far superior to the first two. (Yes, I liked the Xindi crisis era. And season four was stellar beyond reason.

And Trip/T'Pol. Yaay.)

I prefer the upbeat version of the song. And that beat in the background. Just me, though. The original version does have its virtues, though.

And I thought BSG was okay. I never really got into it; wasn't much my cup of tea. Watched a few episodes if I was bored enough and it was on Sci-Fi (Syfy?). But isn't comparing BSG to Star Trek kind of like comparing Star Trek and Star Wars, or Fringe and X-Files? They're similar but way too different for fair comparison. Heck, you can't even fairly compare different 'Trek series because some of them had way different plotlines. Different things are good about different series. Some plots worked and some didn't.

On that thought... What are your guys' opinions on Voyager? It's often regarded as the least popular, sometimes after ENT (which I love!), but it had its moments: Good (like when Seven of Nine joined in) and bad (like "Threshold".. 'nuff said). I've also heard others comment that it just got too monotonous.. Always trying to find their way home, later running into the Borg all the time so they practically became "Villian of the Week", a handful of not-so-great episodes...

Voyager ruined the Borg. While having some great episodes, overall, as a series, Voyager was a miss.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ May 8 2011, 01:40 PM)

Voyager had some good and even very good episodes, but it was very inconsistant in its script-writing. Janeway, Tuvoc, Chakotay were pretty good characters. Harry Kim was a total bore; you could have vaporized him with a phaser, and no one would have noticed.... laugh.gif The Doctor bugged me too much. He was a friggin' hologram program, people!!

I lost all respect for Voyager when they made Jeri Ryan's very large (but beautiful) breasts the main subject of the show. Once Seven Of Nine came aboard, you could tell the series was going to be about her path to becoming human again, and especially who she was going to fall in love with.... She was to Voyager as Spock, Data, and Odo were to their respective series, but with the T & A added....

The Series did have some good season cliff-hangers and two-part episodes, and the Final Show was really good. Kudos to Alice Krige for her cameo as the Borg Queen. Overall, I gave it a C+.

Next Generation: A

Original Series: A

Deep Space Nine: B

Voyager: C+

Enterprise: D

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ May 8 2011, 02:51 PM)
Voyager had some good and even very good episodes, but it was very inconsistant in its script-writing. Janeway, Tuvoc, Chakotay were pretty good characters. Harry Kim was a total bore; you could have vaporized him with a phaser, and no one would have noticed.... laugh.gif The Doctor bugged me too much. He was a friggin' hologram program, people!!

I lost all respect for Voyager when they made Jeri Ryan's very large (but beautiful) breasts the main subject of the show. Once Seven Of Nine came aboard, you could tell the series was going to be about her path to becoming human again, and especially who she was going to fall in love with.... She was to Voyager as Spock, Data, and Odo were to their respective series, but with the T & A added....

The Series did have some good season cliff-hangers and two-part episodes, and the Final Show was really good. Kudos to Alice Krige for her cameo as the Borg Queen. Overall, I gave it a C+.

Next Generation: A
Original Series: A
Deep Space Nine: B
Voyager: C+
Enterprise: D

Ooo, low, low score for ENT. Might I inquire as to why?

Personally I liked it better than VOY because it got better towards the end, rather than worse and monotonous (imo). I think if it had been given the chance at a 5th season (and maybe beyond) it would've been right up there with DS9 in terms of quality.

I'm sometimes a little surprised by the high marks for TOS, consistently. While I would give it an "A" for the first couple seasons, the third season didn't impress me at all (a few episodes excepted). Granted, there are a variety of excuses one could come up with for the decline in quality, but still.. I think DS9 and TNG were better in some aspects.

But I suppose with episodes like "Balance of Terror" and "City on the Edge of Forever" TOS pretty much blows the other series out of the water.

Like I said; good and bad in each series.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ May 8 2011, 02:40 PM)

And Trip/T'Pol. Yaay.)

Hands down the last two seasons were superior to the first two, but you still have to admit, the first season's theme is a lot better. I love how they explained the TOS Klingons in season 4, referencing Khan and showing Data's conception at the same time. However, the episode had a lot of padding in it and could have been shortened to two parts.

As for voyager, the first few seasons were great. It brought about a new tone for Trek. It brought back the mystery of space from TNG and it gave the whole ship a sort of family vibe, which was cool compared to the strict rules of TNG.

Once the borg queen came into play, the borg just lost their threat value. TNG made them to be the enemy with no face and that cannot be spoken to/reasoned with. Now they were no more threatening than the romulans and the last few episodes that featured them were kinda lame.

Seven of Nine was also clearly brought in to boost ratings, which I found very pitiful. They could have brought in anybody, but no! They used a bombshell with almost NO acting capability! Seven was an interesting character at first but after one season or so it just got silly. All of her "becoming human" episodes could have been merged into others as subplots, as seasons 5-6 were devoid of them if you compare them to the early seasons. At one point, I really hoped there would be an episode where the borg would re-assimilate her and Janeway would be forced to destroy the cube.

ranton.gif

Lastly, there was season seven and the finale. Every subplot was rushed (but seasons five and six were almost devoid of subplots!) such as Chakotay's romance with seven, which seemed to develop over 3 episodes. The series finale was unsatisfying. The premise was good (old Janeway goes back in time to save lives and help Voyager come back early), but the execution was horrible (transwarp conduits?! REALLY? WTF was that?) and no aftermath was shown as to what happened to the crew afterwards (we saw what happened to the DS9 cast after Cisco died, we saw the founding of the Federation at the end of ENT).

The only thing that saved the series in the late seasons were the introduction of the Hirogen, which acted as a Delta Quadrant version of the Gem Hadar, and they picked up the "threat factor" that was lost with the borg.

I REALLY didn't like the final season of Voyager. The writer's excuse was that he couldn't juggle between writing the seventh season and Nemesis (which is one of the worst movies IMO).

rantoff.gif

My grade of the Star Trek series:

TOS: 9/10

TNG: 9/10

DS9: 10/10

VOY (seasons 1-4): 9.5/10

VOY (seasons 5-7): 7/10

VOY (overall): 8.5/10

ENT: 8/10

TOS Reboot: 12/10

Enterprise got better in the final two seasons, but half of the first two seasons were weak and riddled with plotholes (ESPECIALLY the borg episode). Even the premise is flawed. Kirk says in one of the TOS episodes that their ship is the first starfleet vessel to be named Enterprise. That aside, there were some great stories, some of my favorites are in seasons 1-2 but I can't let my rating surpass voyager's because of the plotholes.

Edited by usb_connector

QUOTE (CMWriter @ May 8 2011, 03:36 PM)
Ooo, low, low score for ENT. Might I inquire as to why?
Personally I liked it better than VOY because it got better towards the end, rather than worse and monotonous (imo). I think if it had been given the chance at a 5th season (and maybe beyond) it would've been right up there with DS9 in terms of quality.

I'm sometimes a little surprised by the high marks for TOS, consistently. While I would give it an "A" for the first couple seasons, the third season didn't impress me at all (a few episodes excepted). Granted, there are a variety of excuses one could come up with for the decline in quality, but still.. I think DS9 and TNG were better in some aspects.
But I suppose with episodes like "Balance of Terror" and "City on the Edge of Forever" TOS pretty much blows the other series out of the water.
Like I said; good and bad in each series.

Enterprise turned me off from the start. I wish it hadn't. Scott Bakula just didn't do it for me; I've never liked him as an actor. The character of Tripp really turned me off. His "Southern boy" personality was almost laughable. T'Pol's constant frown/scowl was a turn-off as well. I think the plotlines took way too long to develop and finish. It can make a viewer lose interest.

One of The Next Generation's best qualities was never staying too long with a storyline. They continued some sideplots from time to time (like Worf's conflict with the Duras), but they never strung it out too much. Enterprise took months to conclude a storyline....just too long.

And, by the time Enterprise was made, I had come to the belief that Star Trek had run its course. As much as I loved it as a child and as a young man, it was done. There was nothing left to do anymore in that fictional universe, other than put out more 2nd-rate alien species (just more humans with weird makeup on their heads) and more techno-babble about shields, transporters, and phasers....Same sh*t, different episode....

I love Star Trek, but, as Q once said, "All good things must come to an end." smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

QUOTE (CMWriter @ May 8 2011, 10:40 AM)

It was clearly established in TNG that the Borg were from the Delta Quadrant (making it obvious Voyager would run into them frequently). Also, Guinan told Picard that "maybe, one day" they would be able to communicate and negotiate with the Borg. So the idea was planted well before Voyager got started.

I liked Voyager a lot for what it was: episodic science fiction. It had the best stand alone episodes of any series: Living Witness, Death Wish, Blink of an Eye, Timeless, The Haunting of Deck Twelve....

It also had the best two-parters, including Year of Hell, which stand just behind All Good Things... as my favorite episode of any series.

For me, it was Deep Space Nine I couldn't stand. Too much interpersonal melodrama, an unintentionally funny war between "liquids and solids", all that religious stuff...or as someone else put it: Deep Space Nine: Staying Put Where No One Has Stayed Put Before!

laugh.gif

I guess I never really had the issue with ENT taking a long time to finish its storylines, since I didn't start watching Star Trek until ENT had ended (oops! latecomer). I watched it every day after school and the episodes went in order, so I never really had to wait. If I was really impatient I could just go online and watch. laugh.gif

DS9 is my favourite for the reasons some have stated it's their least favourite.. because it stayed put. I felt it gave more time for relationships to develop between characters, both main cast and guest cast. I think the only truly bad decisions made for DS9 were (A) killing off Jadzia Dax (okay, so the actress left) and then REPLACING HER with a new Dax, Ezri... and ( B ) involving the whole Kai Adami-Dukat-Pah'wraiths-thing in with the Dominion War. It was completely unnecessary and, to me, really kind of stupid. There was enough going on with the Dominion, Cardassians, etc. and they didn't need the subplot. |:

Still, despite that, I was most impressed with DS9 through the end. I felt it had some of the best writing and maybe dialogue and plots, too. Loved the diverse characters, and I thought the acting was pretty stellar. I mean, in TNG we had Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner, and they were both amazing, and in TOS of course Shatner, Nimoy, and Deforest Kelley, but DS9 had a lot of great actors and actresses.

But I realize my 'Trek opinions can be a bit.. unorthodox. wink.gif

QUOTE (CMWriter @ May 9 2011, 03:03 AM)
I didn't start watching Star Trek until ENT had ended (oops! latecomer).

Wow, I've been watching it longer that you, but you know waaaaaayy more about it than I do (and seen more than I have)! laugh.gif

I remember when Enterprise started: We watched a few episodes but we couldn't get into it at all... Plus, the only film I've seen is The Voyage Home. But I'm following TOS at the moment, (again, not seen oops.gif ) so I'm hoping they'll show the films after, like FX have done twice with Babylon 5. *crosses fingers*