So I Was Watching "Circumstances" on S&A Live

SlyJeff

I was watching "Circumstances", totally rocking out and thinking how awesome a song it is- and had the sudden thought that when I made my "top 50" list this song did not crack my Rush top 40. And then the next song, "Between the Wheels", came on and I had roughly the same thought. I LOVE the song, especially watching them play it live, but it also is not top 40 for me. And before "Circumstances" was "Secret Touch", The Larger Bowl", and TMMB. 5 songs in a row that I think are great, all of which fall below at least 40 other songs by this band. And I was loving every minute of the concert.

I mean, how much Rocket Sauce can this band to have all of these songs that I love* (even "The Larger Bowl"- what can I say?) and those not even be the best of their catalog in my opinion? That they can find this many songs to play in a row that aren't anywhere near the top of my list, and still put on a killer show?

If "Circumstances" was the best song Rush ever wrote, they'd still be my favorite band, but they might have some competition. As it is it just really isn't fair to the other bands how much good music these guys have put out.

I'm guessing I'm not alone on this one- Anyone else amazed at how great a show they can put on playing great music that you don't even put at the top of your own person "Rush Favorites" list?

I could not agree more - I really don't like voting for or responding to any posts where a "Favourite" is required. Not even decade. Most of us will always anchor down in the era we grew up in, so for me Hemi, PeW & MP are magic.

So often poster's slate a particular song and three posts in someone else is loving it. My "favourites" change almost daily and I find it hard to nail down a top 20 tracks.

I had a fad on PoW recently and now it has faded, but only in the fact that I am not listening to Manhattan Project everyday .. just every other day.

The wealth of material is quite staggering really and I guess we should be grateful that these guys are the way they are ..

if i were to do a pie chart of the rush catalogue it would probably be something like...

70% killer

20% meh

10% binfodder

as for circumstances.....killer,but ged struggled with it on s&a live (imo)

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Aug 4 2010, 09:25 AM)
QUOTE (tel @ Aug 4 2010, 02:50 AM)

70% killer

most of that was in the first 10 years.....

100% co-wrecked wink.gif

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Aug 3 2010, 10:56 PM)
I was watching "Circumstances", totally rocking out and thinking how awesome a song it is- and had the sudden thought that when I made my "top 50" list this song did not crack my Rush top 40. And then the next song, "Between the Wheels", came on and I had roughly the same thought. I LOVE the song, especially watching them play it live, but it also is not top 40 for me. And before "Circumstances" was "Secret Touch", The Larger Bowl", and TMMB. 5 songs in a row that I think are great, all of which fall below at least 40 other songs by this band. And I was loving every minute of the concert.

I mean, how much Rocket Sauce can this band to have all of these songs that I love* (even "The Larger Bowl"- what can I say?) and those not even be the best of their catalog in my opinion? That they can find this many songs to play in a row that aren't anywhere near the top of my list, and still put on a killer show?

If "Circumstances" was the best song Rush ever wrote, they'd still be my favorite band, but they might have some competition. As it is it just really isn't fair to the other bands how much good music these guys have put out.

I'm guessing I'm not alone on this one- Anyone else amazed at how great a show they can put on playing great music that you don't even put at the top of your own person "Rush Favorites" list?

I agree with you here. Rush just has tremendous depth when it comes to how many great songs they have. Every album has songs that I love on them. There are songs that are favorites of mine but to compose a list of my top whatever Rush songs ever I wouldn't be able to do. There are just too many great songs I would still be leaving out.

Also, isn't Circumstances in the worst spot on any album ever? laugh.gif It follows Hemispheres which is something a lot of songs can't do. But it pulls off off rather nicely I think.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Aug 3 2010, 11:56 PM)
If "Circumstances" was the best song Rush ever wrote, they'd still be my favorite band

If "Circumstances" was the best song Rush ever wrote, I would have bever have heard of them.

Archived