Get out of the water!

Jack Aubrey

Shark Week kicked off last night with a good show about South Africa's breaching Great Whites. The hi-def super-slow motion photography was stunning. I missed the second half of the show because Top Shot was on, and those of you who know me won't be surprised that I like that show. laugh.gif

So who's watching Shark Week? Stand up and be counted!

Edited by Jack Aubrey

I just remembered: the last time we discussed Shark Week in here our friend Rushhead666 told me that he went on Neptunic's (the company that manufactures those chain mail dive suits) website and ordered t-shirts for he and his wife. I thought that would be cool and I've had the site bookmarked for a while now but I haven't ordered a shirt yet but I'm gonna do it pretty soon. Here's the link to the site's store in case any of you folks want one of their shirts: Neptunic gear.

I saw the same show last night - did you catch the robotic seal they designed? Robo-Seal was quite cool, and remarkably hardy.

What was really interesting was that the sharks (Great Whites) in that particular bay have adapted to hunt the seals at night. Normally sharks need daylight in order to identify prey. The seals went nocturnal, and eventually, so did the sharks.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/jawkjaw/dosequisman1-1.jpg

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 2 2010, 08:15 AM)
http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/jawkjaw/dosequisman1-1.jpg

laugh.gif I love that guy. "Stay thirsty, my friends." Here's my favorite one: On: manscaping.

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 2 2010, 08:03 AM)
I saw the same show last night - did you catch the robotic seal they designed? Robo-Seal was quite cool, and remarkably hardy.

What was really interesting was that the sharks (Great Whites) in that particular bay have adapted to hunt the seals at night. Normally sharks need daylight in order to identify prey. The seals went nocturnal, and eventually, so did the sharks.

I missed the robo-seal, darn it! It sounds really cool. It's the Discovery Channel, though, so that means they'll show it again next week laugh.gif and I'll catch it then.

watched a doc last week which was about how a orca was captured on film killing a great white,behaviour never before having been witnessed and not thought possible.

The whale was not protecting its pups but had actually stalked the great white for food.

I was watching 40 yr old virgin, but I will start watching tonight. Luv me some shark week. Poor dolphins though

Shark Week ROCKS 1022.gif

I love the series but hate the seal sequences sad.gif

The robo-seal last night was a trip- those guys do not fool around

QUOTE (Analog Kelly @ Aug 2 2010, 11:04 PM)
Shark Week ROCKS 1022.gif

I love the series but hate the seal sequences sad.gif

The robo-seal last night was a trip- those guys do not fool around

I kinda want a robo-seal now. . . unsure.gif

Think of the fun you could have with a remote-control silicone-foam seal at the lake, or in the neighborhood pool.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 2 2010, 05:20 AM)
Shark Week kicked off last night with a good show about South Africa's breaching Great Whites. The hi-def super-slow motion photography was stunning. I missed the second half of the show because Top Shot was on, and those of you who know me won't be surprised that I like that show. laugh.gif

So who's watching Shark Week? Stand up and be counted!

I love it Dave but I usually wait for the blu-ray release. Wendy controls the boobtube while I rock out and watch my A's. trink39.gif

QUOTE (tkdryan @ Aug 3 2010, 12:32 AM)
Theres someone teaching shark attack survival . scared.gif

I could teach that, and it's a very short course. In fact, I will offer it here for free:

Don't swim in shark-infested waters.

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 3 2010, 10:05 AM)

I could teach that, and it's a very short course. In fact, I will offer it here for free:

Hey thanks. Good idea. Im more of a pool guy anyway

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 3 2010, 11:05 AM)

Whaaat? That's a b-grade answer for sure. The obvious best thing to do is transmutate into a dolphin and poke them with your bottle nose...

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Aug 3 2010, 11:55 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 3 2010, 11:05 AM)

Whaaat? That's a b-grade answer for sure. The obvious best thing to do is transmutate into a dolphin and poke them with your bottle nose...

tongue.gif

Well, you get what you pay for! I said it was "free"!

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 3 2010, 10:05 AM)

When I was in undergraduate school I had to dissect a shark once. The amazing thing to me was how small their brain is. They don't have bone, just cartilage so if you are being bitten by one a good hit between the eyes should hurt them and they may let go.

Statistically shark attacks are rare and most people actually survive being attacked which tells me that for the most part sharks don't eat people. There's no way someone could escape a shark attack if the shark really wanted them.

They are fascinating creatures.