**SPOILER ALERT***

Andrew1

Marathon. One of my favorites and a song I've been waiting for them to bring back since Presto.

I was checking out it's "return" on YouTube from opening night. Sounded great but they cut it short. About forty seconds short, roughly.

You know that bad ass ending they do on A Show Of Hands? Where Neil right at the end hits the cymbal....TSSH,TSSH,TSSH... And ged raises his fist, and punches along with it at 6:01? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP58U_R3gK0 and Time Machine

....if you want to compare the two.

It's only about 30 - 40 seconds. If that even... Why the hell would they cut that killer ending out? Don't get me wrong. I'm thrilled they brought back 'Marathon'. It really isn't even a big deal but I was kind of let down. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Anyone?

Is 'TSSH' a good cymbal sound?

Edited by Andrew1

QUOTE (Andrew1 @ Jul 1 2010, 01:23 AM)
Marathon. One of my favorites and a song I've been waiting for them to bring back since Presto.

I was checking out it's "return" on YouTube from opening night. Sounded great but they cut it short. About forty seconds short, roughly.

You know that bad ass ending they do on A Show Of Hands? Where Neil right at the end hits the cymbal....TSSH,TSSH,TSSH... And ged raises his fist, and punches along with it at 6:01? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP58U_R3gK0 and Time Machine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuuRxywEelU ....if you want to compare the two.

It's only about 30 - 40 seconds. If that even... Why the hell would they cut that killer ending out? Don't get me wrong. I'm thrilled they brought back 'Marathon'. It really isn't even a big deal but I was kind of let down. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Anyone?

I think it's just a different arrangement. Both videos are almost identical in length.

Did you notice the extended jam at 4:20 on the current arrangement? That was kinda cool! applaudit.gif

QUOTE (BrightAntennae @ Jul 1 2010, 03:11 AM)

You know that bad ass ending they do on A Show Of Hands? Where Neil right at the end hits the cymbal....TSSH,TSSH,TSSH... And ged raises his fist, and punches along with it at 6:01?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP58U_R3gK0 and Time Machine                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuuRxywEelU ....if you want to compare the two.

Anyone?

I think it's just a different arrangement. Both videos are almost identical in length.

Did you notice the extended jam at 4:20 on the current arrangement? That was kinda cool! applaudit.gif

Yes. I did notice that. Very cool.

Maybe they just wanted to change it up a little bit and that took the place of the ending. Regardless, I still can't understand why the wouldn't just finish it out like before. It's a great part.

Still can't wait to hear it in four days....

You know that bad ass ending they do on A Show Of Hands? Where Neil right at the end hits the cymbal....TSSH,TSSH,TSSH... And ged raises his fist, and punches along with it at 6:01? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP58U_R3gK0 and Time Machine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuuRxywEelU ....if you want to compare the two.

Anyone?

You see this a lot in most modern Rush tour. Often I think this has to do with the fact that Neil doesnt know his own parts as well as we do from listening to the albums so many times, and watching all their old videos.

He doesnt listen to their own music, all of them have talked about this, except right before a tour, so he just isnt as familiar with all these little things like you are. I notice he constantly plays parts wrong, some of it may be on purpose, and ill be other parts he just doesnt know like he used to.

When he was younger his fills and whatnot were always nailed to a tee, its different now, probably isnt wanting to put in as much effort learning every last part of every song.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 1 2010, 12:46 PM)

You know that bad ass ending they do on A Show Of Hands? Where Neil right at the end hits the cymbal....TSSH,TSSH,TSSH... And ged raises his fist, and punches along with it at 6:01?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP58U_R3gK0 and Time Machine                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuuRxywEelU ....if you want to compare the two.

Anyone?

You see this a lot in most modern Rush tour. Often I think this has to do with the fact that Neil doesnt know his own parts as well as we do from listening to the albums so many times, and watching all their old videos.

He doesnt listen to their own music, all of them have talked about this, except right before a tour, so he just isnt as familiar with all these little things like you are. I notice he constantly plays parts wrong, some of it may be on purpose, and ill be other parts he just doesnt know like he used to.

When he was younger his fills and whatnot were always nailed to a tee, its different now, probably isnt wanting to put in as much effort learning every last part of every song.

So what you're saying is that they decided to cut out that climactic ending of 'Marathon' because Neil is lazy and incapable?

Anyone else?

Please.......

Eh, it sounds like they did the extended ending (that you hear on PoW as it fades out), but didn't do the very end like on ASOH where the keys do a little lead into that cymbal thing. They still played most of the original live ending.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Jul 1 2010, 09:40 PM)
Eh, it sounds like they did the extended ending (that you hear on PoW as it fades out), but didn't do the very end like on ASOH where the keys do a little lead into that cymbal thing.  They still played most of the original live ending.

I understand that part but why? That ending is epic. Why cut out the thirty or so seconds it would have took to finish it out like they always did? I'm asking if anyone has an answer to that question. I just dont get it. I've been waiting for this song to come back for 20 years and I'm not complaining. I'm just curious as to WHY?

I know this probably sounds ridiculous to some, but if you're a fan of this song, then you're going to know exactly what I'm getting at. Even if you fans don't have an answer, at least acknowledge where I'm coming from so I don't feel like an idiot that's wasting people's time.

Edited by Andrew1

QUOTE (red sector animal @ Jul 1 2010, 10:41 PM)
Quit freakin wasting my time, moron.

Kidding. I can relate. It's a cool part. But I like when they change stuff up a bit too... so it's not like Rush karaoke with the SoH CD playing on the PA.

I guess. I'm going to miss it though. They should have kept it the same. If they're going to change it up, change up a song they play all the time. Still cant wait to hear it! 1022.gif

MARATHON

R.I.P.

1986-1990

QUOTE (Andrew1 @ Jul 1 2010, 11:18 PM)
QUOTE (red sector animal @ Jul 1 2010, 10:41 PM)
Quit freakin wasting my time, moron. 

Kidding. I can relate. It's a cool part. But I like when they change stuff up a bit too... so it's not like Rush karaoke with the SoH CD playing on the PA.

I guess. I'm going to miss it though. They should have kept it the same. If they're going to change it up, change up a song they play all the time. Still cant wait to hear it! 1022.gif

MARATHON

R.I.P.

1986-1990

Maybe there was a screwup somewhere? (Disclaimer - I haven't watched the YT vid). After all, it was the first night. I guess we'll know after tonight.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 1 2010, 11:46 AM)

Anyone?

This is an interesting and hilarious concept. I've never thought of it this way at all, that we might actually know their music better than they do.

Like someone else said on here, the worst part about Rush is that they aren't Rush fans.

Like someone else said on here, the worst part about Rush is that they aren't Rush fans.

Yes that was me. At the ACC last night I kept a close eye on Neil (I'm a drummer who knows every Rush song, well...almost!...Not much of S&A) and you can see how Neil just doesn't play like he did before the "Break" (1997/2002). He cuts corners on most of his classic drumfills... I don't know if all that Jazz phase he's been into has screwed up his playing, or his desire to recreate note for note all his classic drum fills is gone, or if it's his age but everything seems simplified to me... (A trained eye and ear)... But maybe he just doesn't "Know" his own stuff anymore.... Geddy was so awesome last night (His bass sound was the best since the '80's!! Red Barchetta sounded like the good ol' days) and he keeps getting better and better and he seems so loose on the bass, and just jamming along.... Neil to me seems like he's struggling a bit.... I'm not criticizing, but it's my honest observation..... He said in an interview this week that he had written on his Website about "never before played songs" they were rehearsing and that The Camera Eye was one of them, until a fan pointed out that it wasn't the case, and Neil mentions that he had forgotten that they had played it on the MP Tour.... Neil seems to forget that they also played it on the Signals tour since I was there myself to witness it at my very first Rush concert on April 8 1983 at the Montreal Forum and I have the video boot to prove it to him!! Neil seems to be focused on too many drumming ventures, and having Hot Rod drumkits built for his viewing pleasure... Maybe he should focus more on learning his parts...

QUOTE (Supersyl @ Jul 19 2010, 12:01 AM)

Yes that was me. At the ACC last night I kept a close eye on Neil (I'm a drummer who knows every Rush song, well...almost!...Not much of S&A) and you can see how Neil just doesn't play like he did before the "Break" (1997/2002). He cuts corners on most of his classic drumfills... I don't know if all that Jazz phase he's been into has screwed up his playing, or his desire to recreate note for note all his classic drum fills is gone, or if it's his age but everything seems simplified to me... (A trained eye and ear)... But maybe he just doesn't "Know" his own stuff anymore.... Geddy was so awesome last night (His bass sound was the best since the '80's!! Red Barchetta sounded like the good ol' days) and he keeps getting better and better and he seems so loose on the bass, and just jamming along.... Neil to me seems like he's struggling a bit.... I'm not criticizing, but it's my honest observation..... He said in an interview this week that he had written on his Website about "never before played songs" they were rehearsing and that The Camera Eye was one of them, until a fan pointed out that it wasn't the case, and Neil mentions that he had forgotten that they had played it on the MP Tour.... Neil seems to forget that they also played it on the Signals tour since I was there myself to witness it at my very first Rush concert on April 8 1983 at the Montreal Forum and I have the video boot to prove it to him!! Neil seems to be focused on too many drumming ventures, and having Hot Rod drumkits built for his viewing pleasure... Maybe he should focus more on learning his parts...

I saw them July 5th in Chicago. I'm not a drummer but I know this band and I have to agree with you a little bit. Something is up with Neil. There were some parts of the show where he blew me away and there were other parts where he did seem to be "cutting corners" or the fills seemed a bit slower than usual. Very noticable at times but nothing that made me think he was just going through the motions either. He is a different drummer now. Like he said in the documentary. "There is a different clock at work." I'm guessing that's what we're hearing. He was still phenomenal. Ferocious at times even. I'm guessing that when he incorporates this new style into the songs we haven't heard for awhile, it sounds so obvious to us that it would seem like he was confused or struggling when in fact, that's just not the case what-so-ever. That's just my "theory" I guess, but I totally get what you're saying. Anyway...

The show was outstanding. Ged and Alex were dead on. You could tell the whole band were having a great time. That's what will make it one of the most memorable for me. They were smiling and goofing off the whole show. Ged was SHREDDING that bass. He was going off during songs where he shouldn't have been going off. I had to travel to Chicago and believe me, I DID NOT want to travel at all but I'm thinking about getting tickets to the Columbus, OH show if that tells you anything.

Yeah, I'm not saying Neil sucks by any means... He's still great, but you can see how different he sounds than on the ESL DVD for exemple... Red Barchetta was a good exemple... Just the way he sits is different. The show was AWESOME last night at the ACC!!!!

2.gif

Edited by Supersyl

QUOTE (BIAS2112 @ Jul 20 2010, 06:09 PM)
I heard from a reliable source (20 year avid Rush influenced drummer) that Neil matched the Moving Pictures drums note for note to the album for the most part at the Chicago July5 show. Including the drum tuning.

That's an oxymoron. You can't match it note for note "for the most part". That doesn't make any sense. Either he matched it perfectly, or he didn't.

This is the version I saw.

I loved it.

I find Neil to be great in this version.

Well, I really like the version all around, and the whole show was excellent too. (well what I saw... I missed the first 4 songs due to hooooooorible traffic so I still have NOT SEEN PRESTO LIVE.... sad.gif ....)

I would have to think it was one of the bigger crowds so far, estimated at over 80,000. There was a ton of people every freaking where.

Edit... shit... and the version of Presto was really good.... dammit.

Edited by Solitudeix