Geddy's Voice

QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Jun 22 2010, 08:31 AM)
Maybe they should get a young boy from the Philippines to sing like Journey did. rofl3.gif

That guy is not so young laugh.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 18 2010, 01:43 AM)
All of this talk about how Geddy's voice has changed and he can't sing the old stuff anymore really gets under my skin. Why not just do the damn songs anyway? Surely they could make it work. It seems simple, really. Just rehearse it, and if it doesn't sound right, make adjustments. Geddy isn't the only singer whose voice has changed over the years, but I don't hear other bands talking about it. Hell, some bands have had singers die or leave the band and other guys sing the stuff. Is it the same? No. Does it still kick ass to hear it live? Absolutely. I've seen Iron Maiden without Bruce (Blaze Bailey) and they still kicked ass. Robert Plant still sings Led Zeppelin songs in the shows for his various projects (like the tour with Allison Krauss---they killed it on Black Dog, Battle of Evermore and When the Levee Breaks). Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend have got to be pushing 70 and they still do the old stuff. I saw the Dead after Jerry died and Bobby and Phil just sang the songs. BFD. I'm not alone in wanting to hear some old songs live. They ought to just play the stuff and quit worrying about if it sounds perfect or not.

Lol, its not about sounding perfect. He literally cannot sing much of their old stuff anymore, his range isnt even remotely close to what it used to be, so to play old Rush songs, they need to drop the key.

They can do that, and have done it, but rush only plays the songs they like to play, and they clearly avoid some of the more difficult ones vocally. He needs to sing each night for many nights, for a 57 year old man to keep doing this, it really tires out your vocal chords.

This is why by the end of every tour he sounds absolutely awful. They just have to pick songs that he can handle comfortably without straining too much for a sustained period of time.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 22 2010, 12:51 PM)
All of this talk about how Geddy's voice has changed and he can't sing the old stuff anymore really gets under my skin. Why not just do the damn songs anyway? Surely they could make it work. It seems simple, really. Just rehearse it, and if it doesn't sound right, make adjustments. Geddy isn't the only singer whose voice has changed over the years, but I don't hear other bands talking about it. Hell, some bands have had singers die or leave the band and other guys sing the stuff. Is it the same? No. Does it still kick ass to hear it live? Absolutely. I've seen Iron Maiden without Bruce (Blaze Bailey) and they still kicked ass. Robert Plant still sings Led Zeppelin songs in the shows for his various projects (like the tour with Allison Krauss---they killed it on Black Dog, Battle of Evermore and When the Levee Breaks). Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend have got to be pushing 70 and they still do the old stuff. I saw the Dead after Jerry died and Bobby and Phil just sang the songs. BFD. I'm not alone in wanting to hear some old songs live. They ought to just play the stuff and quit worrying about if it sounds perfect or not.

Lol, its not about sounding perfect. He literally cannot sing much of their old stuff anymore, his range isnt even remotely close to what it used to be, so to play old Rush songs, they need to drop the key.

They can do that, and have done it, but rush only plays the songs they like to play, and they clearly avoid some of the more difficult ones vocally. He needs to sing each night for many nights, for a 57 year old man to keep doing this, it really tires out your vocal chords.

This is why by the end of every tour he sounds absolutely awful. They just have to pick songs that he can handle comfortably without straining too much for a sustained period of time.

I agree.

Geddy sounded like he had trouble singing Limelight, never mind older songs like 2112, AFTK, or By Tor.

I realize that some folks crave hearing the older stuff, as do I, but let's face it -Those days are over. When Rush tour, they tour extensively. This isn't a group of 22 year olds, they are 57 year old men who do it night by night with little break, as a treat for everyone in different locations of the world. For Geddy's vocals to be strained (considering the state they're already in due to his age and smoking), isn't a good thing. He can't be jumping around the stage with shrieking vocals singing a song like Bastille Day. (But then again, he has proven us wrong with the "jumping around" part.... couldn't believe it myself)

I don't know what you people expect: he's a 57 year old man!

Edited by Hemispheres89

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Jun 22 2010, 01:11 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 22 2010, 12:51 PM)

I agree.

Geddy sounded like he had trouble singing Limelight, never mind older songs like 2112, AFTK, or By Tor.

I realize that some folks crave hearing the older stuff, as do I, but let's face it -Those days are over. When Rush tour, they tour extensively. This isn't a group of 22 year olds, they are 57 year old men who do it night by night with little break, as a treat for everyone in different locations of the world. For Geddy's vocals to be strained (considering the state they're already in due to his age and smoking), isn't a good thing. He can't be jumping around the stage with shrieking vocals singing a song like Bastille Day. (But then again, he has proven us wrong with the "jumping around" part.... couldn't believe it myself)

I don't know what you people expect: he's a 57 year old man!

Geddy hasn't even been able to sing Tom Sawyer right for at least 20 years. I notice it most on the "what you say about society" part.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 22 2010, 11:19 AM)
QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Jun 22 2010, 08:31 AM)
Maybe they should get a young boy from the Philippines to sing like Journey did.  rofl3.gif

That guy is not so young laugh.gif

Correct - Arnel is 43 or 44 yrs old -

someone above said that they dub Ged's voice in where it was too high for him to sing - first thing that came to my mind was "then they would be Journey" - no one wants Rush accused of lip synching - most of all them. They would never do that - their show is quality or not at all.

I don't think a lip-synch is necessary. If it's so dang high (and it is) SURELY there is a lower octave he can come down to - that's what "harmony" is all abou! Or, take Cygnus X-1, for instance, if it just HAS to be THAT high...then, it wouldn't bother me at all if they simply overlayed his "younger" voice in the background and played the frickin' song! If that's what it took to hear Hemispheres (Book II) or Something for Nothing or Cygnus again...it wouldn't bother me a bit. But, I realize I am probably in the minority on that.

I think they can make any song in their catalog work, it would just take some effort to change things up a bit.

I dont think we are all that far off from them having to drop limelight, that song is a serious struggle for him to sing, as others have said, he hasnt been able to sing tom sawyer well either in many years either.

Im fine with it. Id rather them drop the key for every song than for him to sound like someone is strangling him while he's trying to sing limeligh. He sounds so bad on their recent live DVDs. Just sing lower Ged!

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jun 23 2010, 01:30 PM)
I just hope they speed up Limelight and YYZ for this tour. They were both somewhat slow during the S&A Tour.

YYZ has been played with a slower tempo since the Vapor Trails tour I believe.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 23 2010, 12:25 PM)
I think they can make any song in their catalog work, it would just take some effort to change things up a bit.

I dont think we are all that far off from them having to drop limelight, that song is a serious struggle for him to sing, as others have said, he hasnt been able to sing tom sawyer well either in many years either.

Im fine with it. Id rather them drop the key for every song than for him to sound like someone is strangling him while he's trying to sing limeligh. He sounds so bad on their recent live DVDs. Just sing lower Ged!

really? i thought the s&a dvd sounded great.

i was pretty blown away when i heard his voice on limelight.

QUOTE (bigman208 @ Jun 23 2010, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jun 23 2010, 01:30 PM)
I just hope they speed up Limelight and YYZ for this tour. They were both somewhat slow during the S&A Tour.

YYZ has been played with a slower tempo since the Vapor Trails tour I believe.

Sounds fine on Rush in Rio and R30 to me confused13.gif

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Jun 18 2010, 10:49 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 18 2010, 04:28 PM)
QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jun 18 2010, 04:49 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jun 18 2010, 03:48 PM)
QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jun 18 2010, 04:38 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jun 18 2010, 03:21 PM)
Personally I don't care about anything Rush - COS, none of that material was that great anyway. I'm happy with the occasional By-Tor.

Exactly the way I feel. By-Tor is a great song, but that's about it. Everything else is your standard Zeppelin rock song. In the End just screams Zeppelin. Come to think of it, 2112 isn't even that great of an album.

No, your wrong on one thing. 2112 is an amazing album. It is landmark, and it was ahead of its time. It redefined an entire genre of music. atickhum.gif

Haha yeah I guess so, but I wasn't born then, so I can't say tongue.gif

Today, when I listen to it, I hear a great (not spectacular) first side, and then some average songs on the second. Something for Nothing and Bangkok are fine songs, but Tears, Lessons, and Twilight seem to fall short for me.

Heh, I pretty much feel the same about 2112. Side two is why I don't see it as a "great" album, it's hit-and-miss.

Maybe it's me, but I fail to see how it "redefined an entire genre of music". Can anyone else chip in and give me an answer as to what genre it redefined?

Progressive rock. There were many bands at the time that were writing songs within the 8-12 minute range, and record companies weren't signing them on, and radio stations wouldn't play them. Rush purposely created the first side of the album, as a direct hit at the record companies for not pomoting longer, and vividly detailed song structures. This, to me, is what makes them "redefine the genre" although I don't know how other people take it when they say "redefine".

This is the album that made Rush, "Rush", and what separated fans of previous Rush material into either hardcore fans or turned them off altogether, unless of course you include Caress of Steel. What you're basically left with afterwards is an intensely loyal and commited fanbase, and the rest all go "ewww, I never really liked those guys!"

My mom and dad are good examples of this. My dad cites 2112 as his favourite album, and my mom has said that she hated that album (and the couple directly after it), and stopped listening to them because of it.

2112 has got some of the most aggressive rock available at the time. If not the the most. Even against Sabbath. The screaming adds a lot.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 23 2010, 12:25 PM)

I'm fine with anything that lets me hear my favorite Rush songs live!

QUOTE (Alex @ Jun 18 2010, 08:12 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 18 2010, 08:09 AM)
And what happens when Ged's voice craps out after five shows?

LOL

Geddy:

Show 1: WE ARE THE PRIESTS OF THE TEMPLES

Show 2: WE ARE the PRIESTS of THE TEMPLEs

Show 3: WE ARE the priests of the TEMPLES

Show 4: WEEEEE ArE the PrIests of THE TEmples.

Show 5: we are the priests of the TEEEmples

Show 6: we are the- k f**k this.

OMFG this literally had me laughing out loud. Seriously, I actually did LOL.

We are the... f**k this.

Awesome.