How does TICKETMASTER get away with Auctions??

hazlnut

QUOTE (Rushgirl @ Apr 27 2010, 04:25 PM)
I got boned by the auction today and I am STEAMING mad, and will take ticketmaster and Live Nation to task for this.

Short story - myself and a friend co-ordinated the last 50 seconds of the auction, put in a HIGH bid that matched and won the auction! We get our notices and she is BANG on in the centre and I have the end crappy seats that were the MINIMUM bid.

No one at TM customer service can help, I ask for a supervisor, - we don't have one............OH REALLY

I have sent scathing e-mails on this!!!!!!!

I will be DAMNED if I am paying $580 for an end seat in 2nd row!!!!!!!! banghead.gif

Which Venue?

Because those second row (pit) seats are just right/left of center at Verizon Amp Irvine.

But second row end seats at Universal Amp (Gibson) are considered obstructed view.

But is sounds like they hosed you. This is why I hate when Stubhub doesn't always list seat numbers.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hazlnut @ Apr 28 2010, 11:11 AM)
I like Stubhub because if you're patient and it's not a one-time only show, then you can get good seats a fair price. It's also great for getting last minute baseball seats--some stadiums even have a Stubhub pickup window.

You can totally spot the brokers who overprice their seats, and then the average fan listing just over face, and sometimes below.

How does StubHub guarantee that you get your tickets?

I have never used it, or any other broker for that matter, as I'm a little skeptical, and never really understood how they work.

I would just want to know that if I'm paying quite a bit of money for tickets, I want to make sure that it is a guaranteed secure sale.

QUOTE (hazlnut @ Apr 28 2010, 09:33 AM)
I've sold tickets on Stubhub and I'm not a broker.

Oh sweet foot in mouth. tongue.gif  laugh.gif  cool.gif

Aren't the prices above face value when they are sold on StubHub? That is scalping. It's still bullshit.

I saw Rush on the RTB tour, spent the night outside for tickets, and got 15th row. The guy in front of me got 2nd row. I paid less than $20 for that ticket. It's utterly disgusting what you have to pay for tickets these days, and every time someone pays a broker, StubHub, whatever, more than face value for a ticket - all you're doing is enabling the bad behavior. Now that TM has gotten into the game, something really needs to be done about it.

QUOTE (Don Quixote @ Apr 28 2010, 12:14 PM)
QUOTE (hazlnut @ Apr 28 2010, 09:33 AM)
I've sold tickets on Stubhub and I'm not a broker.

Oh sweet foot in mouth. tongue.gif  laugh.gif  cool.gif

Aren't the prices above face value when they are sold on StubHub? That is scalping. It's still bullshit.

I saw Rush on the RTB tour, spent the night outside for tickets, and got 15th row. The guy in front of me got 2nd row. I paid less than $20 for that ticket. It's utterly disgusting what you have to pay for tickets these days, and every time someone pays a broker, StubHub, whatever, more than face value for a ticket - all you're doing is enabling the bad behavior. Now that TM has gotten into the game, something really needs to be done about it.

goodpost.gif

Unfortunately, that will never happen though.

For some reason, EVERYONE knows that what TM does is BS. However, no-one steps in to do anything about it.

I love going to concerts and live events in general, but I always dispise the whole ticket-buying process. That's mainly due to the lengths that people have to go to just to try and get a good ticket for something they enjoy.

It's unfortunate that the true fans always get shut out, unless they are willing to pay up more than they should ever have to. The process is unfair, but expect it to be that way for a long, long time. eh.gif

Last tour I paid $350 to sit at the end of row two. This tour $520! The problem is - and this is even worse - my friend paid $300 last time and got row 3 dead centre. I paid $50 a seat more, to sit two feet ahead of him but way over to the side. Edited by Syrinx

QUOTE (hazlnut @ Apr 28 2010, 10:15 AM)
I got boned by the auction today and I am STEAMING mad, and will take ticketmaster and Live Nation to task for this.

Short story - myself and a friend co-ordinated the last 50 seconds of the auction, put in a HIGH bid that matched and won the auction!  We get our notices and she is BANG on in the centre and I have the end crappy seats that were the MINIMUM bid.

No one at TM customer service can help, I ask for a supervisor, - we don't have one............OH REALLY

I will be DAMNED if I am paying $580 for an end seat in 2nd row!!!!!!!! banghead.gif

Which Venue?

Because those second row (pit) seats are just right/left of center at Verizon Amp Irvine.

But second row end seats at Universal Amp (Gibson) are considered obstructed view.

But is sounds like they hosed you. This is why I hate when Stubhub doesn't always list seat numbers.

Toronto at the ACC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still no word from TM!!!!!!!!!!! Theiving bastards...........

QUOTE (Syrinx @ Apr 28 2010, 01:11 PM)
Last tour I paid $350 to sit at the end of row two. This tour $520! The problem is - and this is even worse - my friend paid $300 last time and got row 3 dead centre. I paid $50 a seat more, to sit two feet ahead of him but way over to the side.

Yeah...like I saying, if they are going to run these auctions, then they should at the very least, do it right.

Just sell them as grouped blocks of seats.

Ex. Row 2: Seats 1-8, Row 2: Seats 9-16, Row 2: Seats 17-24, etc.

That way...people that are willing to put in more money, know EXACTLY where they will be sitting, should they decide to keep with the auction.

This way...people know what they are paying for, and how much they are willing to pay before moving to another block of seats.

Simple concept...but TM won't run that way.

QUOTE (Rushgirl @ Apr 28 2010, 01:47 PM)

Short story - myself and a friend co-ordinated the last 50 seconds of the auction, put in a HIGH bid that matched and won the auction!  We get our notices and she is BANG on in the centre and I have the end crappy seats that were the MINIMUM bid.

Which Venue?

laugh.gif

Well...according to your signature, you are going to at least 13 shows!!!

Intense. ohmy.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 28 2010, 01:49 PM)

Which Venue?

laugh.gif

Intense. ohmy.gif

Her member title on Counterparts is "Tour Whore"! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 28 2010, 02:11 PM)

Which Venue?

laugh.gif

Intense. ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

I wish I could see them that much, but both money and time would never permit me to do so. doh.gif

I have used the auction once. I decided what I was willing to pay and made my bid. I was in the first two rows up until the last minute, then got shoved back to about the tenth. So, I raised my bid a bit and wound up 5th row center aisle. I was very happy with that, and the price was bearable.

I've been going to concerts for a very long time (first saw Rush on the Hemispheres tour in '79), and I have spent my life in the nosebleeds, lower section at the rear of the arena, etc. I've waited in lines, and even camped overnight in freezing weather... and ALWAYS got crappy seats.

Now that I have a little bit of extra discretionary income, I appreciate the fact that I can buy a better seat if I want to.

All that said, I agree that Tickemaster's practices are questionable. Let's face it - most of the cream is scraped from the top befoe the presales even begin for corporate sponsors, friends, friends of friends, etc.

For this tour I bought the VIP package. Figured it was worth it and am content with my position at the venue.

QUOTE (Rushgirl @ Apr 27 2010, 02:25 PM)

Short story - myself and a friend co-ordinated the last 50 seconds of the auction, put in a HIGH bid that matched and won the auction! We get our notices and she is BANG on in the centre and I have the end crappy seats that were the MINIMUM bid.

I am pretty sick of the bullshit TM gets away with and many of us lost accessible seats for Red Rocks because they were gone at 9:59. I got on the radio when I called to complain about this crap. The guy wanted to dicker back and forth as to who is worthy of accessible and how can you prove it.

Eventually I had to hang up and leave to get my daughter from school but they said they had connections at Live Nation and would see what they could do to help me. I had an e-mail from TM waiting in my in-box when I get home telling me TM was looking into seating and would contact me shortly. So, we'll see what happens.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 28 2010, 11:30 AM)

Which Venue?

laugh.gif

Intense. ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

I wish I could see them that much, but both money and time would never permit me to do so. doh.gif

You and me both and probably most of the true fans. It must be nice to have that kind of money!

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Apr 28 2010, 04:50 PM)

Which Venue?

laugh.gif

Intense. ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

You and me both and probably most of the true fans. It must be nice to have that kind of money!

Excuse me?? You don't know what kind of money I have.........

and I will tell you this, I am NOT rich - far from it.

I save like mad, and use my line of credit, so there!

Don't judge someone based on what they spend, they are not always RICH!!!!!

I hate TM as the next guy but the auctions are usually the best way to secure primo seats at a decent price.

Also TM does not make most of the extra $$ on the auctions - when you receive them the face value of the ticket is what you paid. Alot of bands put the extra revenue from the auctions to charity, some it goes into their revenue pool.

Look at it this way someine is going to pay $400 a pop or more for those seats, why should a broker pay $125 and make the rest, when there is an avenue for the band to get the extra money and cut out the middle man. If you don't like it don't hate on TM hate on the band. Once again the extra $$ do not go TM, except for a fee to run the auctions for them.

QUOTE (Rushgirl @ Apr 28 2010, 09:44 PM)

Which Venue?

laugh.gif

Intense. ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

I definitely hear ya...no-one should assume that anyone is "rich" based on how many shows they see.

For me, I am actually more jealous about the time that you have! How do you have all that time to travel everywhere?? laugh.gif

Either way...I think it's awesome. Based on your sig, obviously Ged has noticed! I'll see ya at the ACC...4 rows behind you, but closer to Geddy! trink39.gif

Why the defensive attitude? Which person on this thread called you RICH?'

Lighten up, Bev.

By the way, I'm not rich either. However, I have made some very good investments during the last few years and I just bought a new house!

I bought the new house before the tour was in the works. So I will only be attending about 21 shows this summer because I now have lots of new bills.

QUOTE (Patty @ Apr 29 2010, 03:18 AM)
Why the defensive attitude? Which person on this thread called you RICH?'

Lighten up, Bev.

By the way, I'm not rich either. However, I have made some very good investments during the last few years and I just bought a new house!

I bought the new house before the tour was in the works. So I will only be attending about 21 shows this summer because I now have lots of new bills.

Patty I have gotten that comment before and YOU yourself have made some snide remarks my way on another board, so I will NOT lighten up!

Especially when YOU tell me to!

I am about as light as they come, as long as someone does not make assumptions about me.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 28 2010, 10:20 PM)

Which Venue?

laugh.gif

Intense. ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

I definitely hear ya...no-one should assume that anyone is "rich" based on how many shows they see.

For me, I am actually more jealous about the time that you have! How do you have all that time to travel everywhere?? laugh.gif

Either way...I think it's awesome. Based on your sig, obviously Ged has noticed! I'll see ya at the ACC...4 rows behind you, but closer to Geddy! trink39.gif

I am self employed and make the trips quick, in and out.

The longest I will be away from home is Vegas.

It helps that my husband is VERY tolerant of my "hobby" too!

Peace and hope to see you at a show!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (Rushgirl @ Apr 29 2010, 08:31 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 28 2010, 10:20 PM)

Which Venue?

laugh.gif

Intense. ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

I am self employed and make the trips quick, in and out.

The longest I will be away from home is Vegas.

It helps that my husband is VERY tolerant of my "hobby" too!

Peace and hope to see you at a show!!!!!!!!!

That's awesome! Very cool!! trink39.gif

3 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users):

Rushgirl, EmotionDetector

Beer on me at the show!

Sorry if I came off defensive, had that kind of assumption before smile.gif

QUOTE (Patty @ Apr 29 2010, 04:18 AM)

laugh.gif

I like the emphasis on the word "ONLY".

21 out of 40 dates...that's only 53% of the shows.

You should be ashamed to call yourself a fan! tongue.gif