From Scotland for Rush

lyndale2112

Myself and a few friends are traveling over from Scotland to attend the Boston and Washington shows with a couple of days in NYC in between shows. Flight over and internal flights are all booked. Anyone got any info on the two venues, accommodation or any hints and tips regarding the visiting cities. Thanks in advance. 2.gif Edited by lyndale2112

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been to the Washington venue several times. It is 30 minutes West of Washington right off of Interstate 66. It is fairly easy to get to if you know where it is. Traffic in the area sucks but since it is a Sat. night you shouldn't have much of a problem. I'm 2 hours away and drive home after the shows so I'm not very familiar with lodging near the show. From memmory, I don't recall seeing alot of hotels very near the venue but because you are near Washington, you shouldn't have much of a problem.

The venue itself is in an isolated area. Pretty good so you don't annoy neighbors with noise. It is the standard shed venue with covered seats and then an open-air lawn. The parking lot tailgating scene has been a lot of fun there the last couple of tours. From my experience, security seems to pretty much leave you alone as long as you keep adult beverages in cups. I've had no problems sneaking airplane bottles of liquor in.

As far as DC itself goes, make sure you allow some time to visit. I strongly advise using the Metro subway system for getting around. It is clean and safe. Parking in DC is very difficult. You need to see the Smithsonean (sp??) museums. They are between the Capitol and Washington Monument. Best of all, they are free and all within walking distance of each other. There is also a Metro stop right in the middle. I recommend the Museum of Natural History and Air and Space Museum. It'll pretty much take you a day to see those 2.

Just thought of another tip: obviously hotels are cheaper the further you get away from DC. I think some of the lower prices are near Dulles airport which is West of DC and not to far from the venue.

My experience of Jiffy Lube Live (formerly Nissan Pavillion) in DC is different than the above post, particularly regarding security. I've found them to be very aggressive during the tailgate, even confrontational. And forget about hanging in the lot afterwards, cause they make sure you're in your car, stuck in traffic.

Which brings me to my next point, the traffic. Its an absolute nightmare getting out of that place, the traffic is completely mismanaged. Another bit of advice, get to the venue early, cause the traffic getting in is horrendous as well. The overall experience is so bad that that many of my friends in DC wont go to the venue because the experience outside the show itself is so bad.

As for the venue itself, its a standard, serviceable shed, same as the others. Sound is fine, sightlines are good. So if youre lucky enough to get to the show on time, unencumbered by the above, its all good.

Edited by greg2112

Parking is hell at Nissan/Jiffy Lube Live.

Its just a dirt field and its very hard to find your space at night even with the markers.

And also agree that traffic awful. Get here early at least an hour early.

Best bet is if the hotel has a shuttle to and from the venue, look into that.

If you try taking a cab to the show, its pretty easy. I've only done it one way though. Not sure how it is waiting for a cab at the end of the show with the traffic.

If you're flying into Logan, the venue is very close; in fact, it's a short cab ride under a tunnel to get there. I'm not familiar with hotels in the area, but here's a link that might help:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=...ved=0CB0QtQMwAA

You'll see the airport, and the venue is listed as "Boston Garden," right at the end of the 1/93 bridge. It looks like the 2 closest hotels are the Hilton Garden Inn and the Onyx Hotel. I've never stayed at either, so I can't vouch for them, but I have stayed at Garden Inns in the past, and I've been fairly pleased with them.

If you care to meet up with other TRFers, check out the thread for that venue in this section. Good luck with your shows!

I have lived in both cities. As a sweaty sock you will love the free musuem's in DC and you will love the Irish bars in Boston. Both cities are easy to walk around, but downtown DC isnt really a city (as everyone lives outside it) it's more of an area to visit ie the mall. Edited by exiled yorkie

Here's a thought, as a favor for those unfamiliar -

What areas to AVOID in any given city? I know the first time I went to DC we were in a Days Inn that was located in a very scary part of town. Economical is great unless you're afraid to step outside after dark.

Edited by Mara

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 24 2010, 10:07 PM)

What areas to AVOID in any given city? I know the first time I went to DC we were in a Days Inn that was located in a very scary part of town. Economical is great unless you're afraid to step outside after dark.

lol good point! there are quite a few areas in Boston I would avoid...sticking right around the Garden is a good idea, the North End is certainly one of the better neighborhoods. Back Bay is pretty nice too. BUT staying in the nicer areas of Boston will be expensive. Southie (the South End), Dorchester, Roxbury and Mattapan are a few of the ones to avoid!

You can stay just outside of Boston off I-93 (which runs right next to the Garden and is directly accessible from Logan Airport) - Malden, Medford, and Everett are within a 10 minute drive and are at least 85% safer than Boston proper and will certainly be nicer on the wallet!

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 24 2010, 09:07 PM)

Since I live 2 hours south of DC, I'm certainly no expert. But, I have been in plenty of scary areas of DC. Once again, I would advise getting around by the Metro and avoid the scary parts. Also, the Dulles airport area for hotels is close to the venue and a safe area.

In response to Greg2112: I've had pretty good experiences getting into the venue and not much trouble with security in the lot (obviously some security is rather laid back and some are dicks). You are SPOT ON about getting out of the venue. I remember one show (Allman Brothers I think) where we got in the traffic to exit and the car didn't move one inch for 30 minutes. Took an hour and a half to get out of the lot. I would love to hang out after the show and let traffic die down, but as you mentioned, they make you get in your car and sit.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Apr 27 2010, 09:35 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 24 2010, 09:07 PM)

What areas to AVOID in any given city?  I know the first time I went to DC we were in a Days Inn that was located in a very scary part of town.  Economical is great unless you're afraid to step outside after dark.

Since I live 2 hours south of DC, I'm certainly no expert. But, I have been in plenty of scary areas of DC. Once again, I would advise getting around by the Metro and avoid the scary parts. Also, the Dulles airport area for hotels is close to the venue and a safe area.

In response to Greg2112: I've had pretty good experiences getting into the venue and not much trouble with security in the lot (obviously some security is rather laid back and some are dicks). You are SPOT ON about getting out of the venue. I remember one show (Allman Brothers I think) where we got in the traffic to exit and the car didn't move one inch for 30 minutes. Took an hour and a half to get out of the lot. I would love to hang out after the show and let traffic die down, but as you mentioned, they make you get in your car and sit.

Yeah leaving is SUCH a nightmare! But again, outside of getting in and out, and aggressive security (for me at least), its a very good venue to see a show.

In reference to areas to AVOID in DC - I've lived in the city for 16 years, and many areas are much better than they used to be. However, outside of the Capitol Hill and Eastern Market neighborhoods, I would completely avoid the Southeast quadrant of the city. Also, there also are sketchy areas in the NE area (outside of Cap Hill and the Mall).

My advice is to stay in the NW part of town. Its the nicest part of town with a ton of great restaurants and bars, and plenty of hotels. If you send me some of the hotels you end up considering, on this thread or by PM, Im very glad to help out and give you my take.

Edited by greg2112

Thanks to all who have adviced on our trip so far. Keep it up please.

Managed to get some pretty good tickets through the presales.

Within 20 rows of the stage at both venues. Cant wait for September. 1022.gif

Edited by lyndale2112

QUOTE (lyndale2112 @ Apr 28 2010, 05:00 PM)
Thanks to all who have adviced on our trip so far. Keep it up please.
Managed to get some pretty good tickets through the presales.
Within 20 rows of the stage at both venues. Cant wait for September. 1022.gif

very cool! Keep tabs on the Boston thread for info and updates on the pre-show meetup! smile.gif

Just a little info about the Boston venue...It is actually officially called the TD BankNorth Garden, not the Boston Garden(anymore). The TD BankNorth Garden is where both The Boston Celtics and Boston Bruins play. Because of this, there are quite a few Sports Bars/Pubs located right across the street from the venue. If you've got some time to burn before the show, about an hour and a half before showtime I would head over to "The Fours". The food and drink is good there, and the place is wall to wall with Celtics/Bruins/Red Sox memorabilia. A real good vibe there. If you can't get in there, try Boston Beer Works. which is a half a block away. They have a gazillion beers there and they are all made there. The food there is good as well. So I wouldn't just go down to the Garden for the show...I'd go down there to eat dinner and have a few beers before as well. When you're done you simply walk across the street and right into the venue...

QUOTE (FootballYouBet @ Apr 28 2010, 10:47 PM)
Just a little info about the Boston venue...It is actually officially called the TD BankNorth Garden, not the Boston Garden(anymore). The TD BankNorth Garden is where both The Boston Celtics and Boston Bruins play. Because of this, there are quite a few Sports Bars/Pubs located right across the street from the venue. If you've got some time to burn before the show, about an hour and a half before showtime I would head over to "The Fours". The food and drink is good there, and the place is wall to wall with Celtics/Bruins/Red Sox memorabilia. A real good vibe there. If you can't get in there, try Boston Beer Works. which is a half a block away. They have a gazillion beers there and they are all made there. The food there is good as well. So I wouldn't just go down to the Garden for the show...I'd go down there to eat dinner and have a few beers before as well. When you're done you simply walk across the street and right into the venue...

Actually, it's just the TD Bank Garden now - TD Banknorth lost the 'north' about 9 months or so ago lol We've already started plans for a meetup, if you look at the Time Machine Hot Tub thread for the show date. It's all tentative until everyone agrees, but we've been talking about going to the Black Rose - it's a restaurant and pub just outside of Fanueil Hall on State Street - only about a 5 minute walk to the T station (Oak Grove, Orange Line) and 2 minute T ride directly into North Station (and directly under the Gahden).

I've been to the Black Rose many times, and understand the whole Irish Bar/music angle, which is cool, but I'm not sure that's the best way to go for the Rush gig. For example, I assume that most people are going to be driving in and parking at the parking garages inside or next to the venue. I would also venture to guess that most of them don't know their way around Boston either. Especially these people from Scotland. You want to make them take a train from the venue and then a train back to the venue in a city they don't know? To me it makes more sense and it's far more convenient to just walk across the street to one of the many Sports Bars across the street from the Garden. The Fours, Boston Beer Works, Hurricane O'Reilly's, and The Harp. Here's another one. Let's say you're running late getting out of the bar. It's a 30 second walk across the street to the venue. You run late coming out of The Black Rose and you could miss some of the show. Just my humble opinion.

QUOTE (FootballYouBet @ Apr 29 2010, 06:43 AM)
I've been to the Black Rose many times, and understand the whole Irish Bar/music angle, which is cool, but I'm not sure that's the best way to go for the Rush gig. For example, I assume that most people are going to be driving in and parking at the parking garages inside or next to the venue. I would also venture to guess that most of them don't know their way around Boston either. Especially these people from Scotland. You want to make them take a train from the venue and then a train back to the venue in a city they don't know?  To me it makes more sense and it's far more convenient to just walk across the street to one of the many Sports Bars across the street from the Garden. The Fours, Boston Beer Works, Hurricane O'Reilly's, and The Harp. Here's another one. Let's say you're running late getting out of the bar. It's a 30 second walk across the street to the venue. You run late coming out of The Black Rose and you could miss some of the show. Just my humble opinion.

I can see your point, and people do have the option to go to other places. Many of the people meeting up have done these meet ups before and always plan on leaving to get to the venue at least 30 minutes before showtime. For people who live outside the city or are unfamiliar with Boston, I always recommended to take the train in, because it is ridiculously expensive to park in Boston, especially around the Garden. The MBTA is the most inexpensive, least confusing mode of transportation. The only thing you have to know is where you're getting on and where your getting off, and the MBTA website can even plan your route for you beforehand. I myself am coming down from New Hampshire for the show, and will be coming in on the T because

1) Driving in Boston is HORRIBLE - especially for those who don't know the city - it's a maze of one-way streets (I grew up just outside of Boston and lived there for 28 years before moving up to NH - and I will not drive in Boston)

2) my husband and I will be dropping our son off with my parents in Framingham and it's more convenient for us.

Some people who aren't familiar with the whole Train system have the option of meeting us at the train station we're traveling in on and riding in with us (that would most likely be the Green Line, probably from Riverside).

Keep in mind that the plans are just tentatively being worked out right now. It's very easy to get to and from the Garden via the MBTA. To get back to the Garden, we'd all be walking as a group to the State Street station (Orange Line going towards Oak Grove), which is a 5 minute walk from the Black Rose, and taking the same train up the 2 minute ride to North Station (which lets off underneath the Garden).

*edited to add* just an FYI, those bars right around the Garden are small and are usually packed, especially on event nights. We'll have a fairly large group of people, some of them are minors who would not be able to get into a bar. The Black Rose is a restaurant and pub, where minors are allowed in (so long as they're sitting at a table) - and a location that is a little further away from the Garden won't be as packed on a Thursday night as one that is right across the street from the Garden.

Edited by LakesideMaiden

The Harp, The Fours, and Boston Beer Works are all restaurants too and allow minors, so no issue there. As for the size of the places by the Garden, The Fours is only semi-small, and The Harp and Boston Beer Works are both large. As for the crowds, if you get there at least an hour and a half before showtime there won't be any crowds and you'll get in just fine. I'm really not trying to be a dick here, but I just don't see any compelling reason to traipse half way across town to a place that really offers nothing remarkably better than places that are directly across the street from the venue? It's all good. To each his/her own. smile.gif

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Apr 29 2010, 09:49 AM)
I've been to the Black Rose many times, and understand the whole Irish Bar/music angle, which is cool, but I'm not sure that's the best way to go for the Rush gig. For example, I assume that most people are going to be driving in and parking at the parking garages inside or next to the venue. I would also venture to guess that most of them don't know their way around Boston either. Especially these people from Scotland. You want to make them take a train from the venue and then a train back to the venue in a city they don't know?  To me it makes more sense and it's far more convenient to just walk across the street to one of the many Sports Bars across the street from the Garden. The Fours, Boston Beer Works, Hurricane O'Reilly's, and The Harp. Here's another one. Let's say you're running late getting out of the bar. It's a 30 second walk across the street to the venue. You run late coming out of The Black Rose and you could miss some of the show. Just my humble opinion.

I can see your point, and people do have the option to go to other places. Many of the people meeting up have done these meet ups before and always plan on leaving to get to the venue at least 30 minutes before showtime. For people who live outside the city or are unfamiliar with Boston, I always recommended to take the train in, because it is ridiculously expensive to park in Boston, especially around the Garden. The MBTA is the most inexpensive, least confusing mode of transportation. The only thing you have to know is where you're getting on and where your getting off, and the MBTA website can even plan your route for you beforehand. I myself am coming down from New Hampshire for the show, and will be coming in on the T because

1) Driving in Boston is HORRIBLE - especially for those who don't know the city - it's a maze of one-way streets (I grew up just outside of Boston and lived there for 28 years before moving up to NH - and I will not drive in Boston)

2) my husband and I will be dropping our son off with my parents in Framingham and it's more convenient for us.

Some people who aren't familiar with the whole Train system have the option of meeting us at the train station we're traveling in on and riding in with us (that would most likely be the Green Line, probably from Riverside).

Keep in mind that the plans are just tentatively being worked out right now. It's very easy to get to and from the Garden via the MBTA. To get back to the Garden, we'd all be walking as a group to the State Street station (Orange Line going towards Oak Grove), which is a 5 minute walk from the Black Rose, and taking the same train up the 2 minute ride to North Station (which lets off underneath the Garden).

*edited to add* just an FYI, those bars right around the Garden are small and are usually packed, especially on event nights. We'll have a fairly large group of people, some of them are minors who would not be able to get into a bar. The Black Rose is a restaurant and pub, where minors are allowed in (so long as they're sitting at a table) - and a location that is a little further away from the Garden won't be as packed on a Thursday night as one that is right across the street from the Garden.

I've been going in to Boston almost my whole life. I am familiar with the Orange line mostly (because I used to live in Malden-about 4 miles outside of Boston). I do recommend using the "T" (MBTA) and riding in. The Green line and Orange line meet right at the Garden.

Like LSM said, if anyone is unsure about using the "T," let us know. We'll be more than happy to ride in with you. My guess is that we are either using the Red or the Green line....

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Apr 29 2010, 11:47 AM)

I've been going in to Boston almost my whole life. I am familiar with the Orange line mostly (because I used to live in Malden-about 4 miles outside of Boston). I do recommend using the "T" (MBTA) and riding in. The Green line and Orange line meet right at the Garden.

Like LSM said, if anyone is unsure about using the "T," let us know. We'll be more than happy to ride in with you. My guess is that we are either using the Red or the Green line....

I, too, as an avid dart player have shot in many of these pubs. They are over crowded and expensive. I'd assume we follow what LSM has for plans.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Apr 29 2010, 11:49 AM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Apr 29 2010, 11:47 AM)

I, too, as an avid dart player have shot in many of these pubs. They are over crowded and expensive. I'd assume we follow what LSM has for plans.

Most likely the Green Line, only cause we'll be coming in from Framingham, and the Red Line isn't really accessible from Framingham...

QUOTE (peoplecanteatmachinefood @ Apr 29 2010, 04:32 PM)
Make sure you have plenty of cash on you. Everything in Boston and DC is ridiculously expensive. wacko.gif

Gotta love state capitals....or in DC's case, the Nation's capital lol