Should I be bitter?

GernTheFish

I've finally started coming to terms with the fact that Rush has no tour dates in my area. They are coming to NC, SC, Virginia or Tennessee. The closest venues, Atlanta and DC, are just not feasible for me.

First there was confusion, denial, then anger, and now deep profound sadness. I may miss the first tour since Counterparts (a subject I still have not come to terms with). How can this be???

Should I be bitter? After all, Rush has played Charlotte for the past 4 or 5 tours. I guess I should be thankful.

Those bastards!

fists crying.gif

There are fans that are disappointed on every tour.

All the same, I don't blame you. This is the first tour since Signals that they aren't making a Detroit stop. Their only tours that they didn't have at least one stop in Michigan were in support of "Archives" and "Exit Stage Left". Michigan has been very good to Rush for many, many years.

Alas, I have to think it is not so much a snub of those areas but rather an inability to schedule a date in the area that falls within that "hub & spoke" mode of touring that Geddy & Alex prefer. At least I had other options for this tour, though only one within a few hours' drive.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Apr 20 2010, 12:25 PM)
Doe the Carolina show do poorly? Must be some reason they're not going there

I am puzzled about Carolina myself. Usually they do VERY well in Charlotte. They get fans from NC, SC, VA, TN, and a lot of folks from Georgia who don't mind traveling the four hours between venues to catch both shows.

Best guess is that there was just nothing suitable this time around. confused13.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Apr 20 2010, 11:25 AM)
Doe the Carolina show do poorly? Must be some reason they're not going there

I'm sure if anything...it probably just had to do with scheduling conflicts.

However, remember that there could still be shows added to this tour, so don't give up hope yet!! smile.gif

The shows in the Carolinas in the past have doen just fine. All have been sold out and packed.

I think it's just the fact that the tour is by design very short to begin with, and some cities had to be cut. Nobody likes to think that their city should be the one, but choices have to be made. I was hoping they might throw the Carolinas a bone by doing Charlotte, but it just didn't work out.

I'm still debating on Atlanta. Just An Escape Artist is working hard trying to convince me to go, but personal budget may not allow it. And I haven't even pitched the idea to my wife yet, because right now at this moment, I KNOW the answer I would get. no.gif

The important factor to measure is REVENUE. Rush typically does in the 8k range attendance-wise for shows in NC. That's on the low side by a little bit. From a revenue perspective though they'll typically do in the 350k-400k range. That's a bit below average, but it's nowhere close to the 600k-800k-1 Million that they do in their bigger markets. In other words, any show that they do under 500k in revenue is easily expendable if they're looking to cut dates. And in this case - a short tour where a number of standard stops wouldn't get dates - eliminating cities on the lower side of the mean in both attendance and gross revenue like Charlotte & Raleigh is a pretty easy choice.

I'm spoiled. Living in Connecticut, any concert is a rocks throw away. If a band is touring I know if they don't play my state, the worst I have to do is travel to NYC or Boston. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (GernTheFish @ Apr 20 2010, 03:32 PM)
Yeah, I suggested to my wife that we could drive 6 hours or so to the DC show and she went through the roof - "To see Rush for the bazillionth time????".

I'll take that as a "no".

rage.gif

Take a road trip by yourself! Its good for the soul. Clear your head and enjoy the trip. I have always loved taking solo road trips. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Score Out @ Apr 20 2010, 03:29 PM)
The important factor to measure is REVENUE. Rush typically does in the 8k range attendance-wise for shows in NC. That's on the low side by a little bit.

Honestly.......the last show in Charlotte did not look that way at all. People were slow to get in there, yes, but by the start of the second set, that place was packed!

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 20 2010, 04:19 PM)
Yeah, I suggested to my wife that we could drive 6 hours or so to the DC show and she went through the roof - "To see Rush for the bazillionth time????". 

rage.gif

Take a road trip by yourself! Its good for the soul. Clear your head and enjoy the trip. I have always loved taking solo road trips. atickhum.gif

Agreed! From her perspective: I don't know if you have kids (I don't), but I like having the house all to myself sometimes when DH has an out-of-town trip scheduled. .

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Apr 20 2010, 03:46 PM)
The important factor to measure is REVENUE.  Rush typically does in the 8k range attendance-wise for shows in NC.  That's on the low side by a little bit.

Honestly.......the last show in Charlotte did not look that way at all. People were slow to get in there, yes, but by the start of the second set, that place was packed!

Here are the details for the 2008 Charlotte show:

attendance 8,997/12,517 ($399,279)

Highest grossing show in 2008 was United Center at 802k.

Hollywood Bowl grossed 1,074,000 in 2007. MSG was over 1M as well.

Take a road trip by yourself! Its good for the soul. Clear your head and enjoy the trip. I have always loved taking solo road trips. 

Agreed! From her perspective: I don't know if you have kids (I don't), but I like having the house all to myself sometimes when DH has an out-of-town trip scheduled. .

Hmmm....might not be a bad idea. A little crazy perhaps, but I could stay in a Motel 6 (or even pull over to the side of the road for that matter). This way I can even afford a little better seat! That's it, I'm doin' it. I'll leave all the nay-sayers in the dust. The world will be mine! And the best part is, nobody can stop me!!! 1287.gif

QUOTE (GernTheFish @ Apr 21 2010, 08:32 AM)

Take a road trip by yourself! Its good for the soul. Clear your head and enjoy the trip. I have always loved taking solo road trips. 

Hmmm....might not be a bad idea. A little crazy perhaps, but I could stay in a Motel 6 (or even pull over to the side of the road for that matter). This way I can even afford a little better seat! That's it, I'm doin' it. I'll leave all the nay-sayers in the dust. The world will be mine! And the best part is, nobody can stop me!!! 1287.gif

Enjoy your private adventure!!! and make sure to have some drinks with fellow Rush fans while your there! trink39.gif 1287.gif

QUOTE (GernTheFish @ Apr 21 2010, 06:32 AM)

Do It!!!.. yes.gif I'v done it many times and it is always a blast all the new folks you meet. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif No stopping you now trink39.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 20 2010, 03:19 PM)

rage.gif

I love doing that. Why wait for someone ?

I live in Raleigh. Moved here in 2003 from CT. I drove to Charlotte (2 hours) for R30, S&A 2007, and S&A 2008. They came to Raleigh in '07.

This time I'm flying to NY for the Jones Beach Show and I plan to get tix for DC and drive up.

The Charlotte shows have always been high energy/good crowds/band into it.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 21 2010, 08:17 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Apr 20 2010, 03:19 PM)

rage.gif

I love doing that. Why wait for someone ?

Yep...I'm strongly considering going to the Molson Amptheatre show solo. Not much of a road trip, as I'm only about an hour away from Toronto, but still...it would be interesting.

I've never been to a Rush show solo...could be cool to run into some fellow Rush fanatics! 1022.gif

I like going solo-

It opens up chances to pick up a great single seat the day of the show

You can go eat wherever you want to beforehand (I recommend stopping in Lexington, NC for Barbecue on the way to Charlotte)

It frees you up to meet people in the parking lot

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Apr 20 2010, 03:46 PM)
The important factor to measure is REVENUE.  Rush typically does in the 8k range attendance-wise for shows in NC.  That's on the low side by a little bit.

yeah man i was there. that was a great show.

...so the good news is that there is a new show on the schedule now which I'm sure will be announced soon. The bad news is that it's in an area they're already spending a fair amount of time in (the northeast). It's at a venue they normally hit on their summer tours.