Is there a definitive list of versions of Rush

ytserush

One of these days I'm going to have to get with it and start collecting these songs should they not be compiled for a release down the road.

Through video games or itunes or whatever Rush has released a bunch of songs that have not appeared on one of their official releases (I'm going to include DVD releases in this too)

What are these songs?

I know that there are vault versions of Working Man and The Trees that were released a few years back and there is that version of The Spirit Of Radio from the Permanent Waves Tour (Where was that recorded again?) There is also a live version of Hope that is a different performance than the the one on Snakes and Arrows Live.

I'm sure there are some others that I'm missing. Can anyone else add to this list?

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Feb 23 2010, 06:33 PM)
Tough Break

<3

Tough Break is a bit of a stretch, if you're going to include that then you may as well include stuff like Battlescar where they all played on it but it's not really a Rush song.

Also, you could include Not Fade Away and Can't Fight It which were only released on the original 45s as well as the version of Vital Signs cut from ESL that ended up as a B side to New World Man. Those are all official releases that are only available on 45 singles so I don't know if you're counting those or not. Another thing that's iffy is the version of Lock and Key that was only available on the first pressings of the ASOH laserdisc. A very obscure official release that's not available now. Plus there's the live version of Force Ten that was only on the Japanese issue of Different Stages.

There's obviously a few scattered video things other than Lock and Key that have technically been officially released but are next to impossible to find except through bootleggers. The video for the live version of Closer to the Heart from Different Stages (Why was this left off Retrospective III?), Best I Can from Don Kirschner's show that was left off of R30, and the remaining official videos from the 80s that are still only on the VHS Through the Camera Eye: Vital Signs, The Body Electric, and Countdown. Plus, the only place that the full-length version of the Big Money video exists is the original GUP concert VHS. The shortened one on Chronicles drives me crazy, it's cut to pieces.

Anyway, I don't know which of that stuff you're counting but hopefully it'll help some.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Feb 24 2010, 01:11 PM)
Tough Break is a bit of a stretch, if you're going to include that then you may as well include stuff like Battlescar where they all played on it but it's not really a Rush song.

Also, you could include Not Fade Away and Can't Fight It which were only released on the original 45s as well as the version of Vital Signs cut from ESL that ended up as a B side to New World Man. Those are all official releases that are only available on 45 singles so I don't know if you're counting those or not. Another thing that's iffy is the version of Lock and Key that was only available on the first pressings of the ASOH laserdisc. A very obscure official release that's not available now. Plus there's the live version of Force Ten that was only on the Japanese issue of Different Stages.

There's obviously a few scattered video things other than Lock and Key that have technically been officially released but are next to impossible to find except through bootleggers. The video for the live version of Closer to the Heart from Different Stages (Why was this left off Retrospective III?), Best I Can from Don Kirschner's show that was left off of R30, and the remaining official videos from the 80s that are still only on the VHS Through the Camera Eye: Vital Signs, The Body Electric, and Countdown. Plus, the only place that the full-length version of the Big Money video exists is the original GUP concert VHS. The shortened one on Chronicles drives me crazy, it's cut to pieces.

Anyway, I don't know which of that stuff you're counting but hopefully it'll help some.

What I meant to ask was a list of music that was officially released by the band at some point, but is only commercially available as a sound or video file somewhere.

For example, I wouldn't count Not Fade Away/You Can't Fight It because it WAS released by the band. Same with the Vital Signs Live.

I wouldn't count Lock and Key either because it was released (if in a limited way) or those refugees from the Through The Camera Eye video.

I wouldn't count Force Ten as that appeared on an official release (although it was foreign).

I hadn't thought about that Closer To The Heart video (isn't the audio from the Different stages release?), but the video is obviously different (at least the clips from the Toronto show on 6/30/97).

As an aside, I think this was left off of Retropective III because Mercury/Polygram/Universal/Vivendi owns all of the footage that didn't come from the 6/30/97 performance.

I'm not sure about the Best I Can performance either. I suppose that is a gray area as the other performances from that show were eventually released, but that wasn't.

But primarily, I was looking for stuff that never appeared on a video/DVD/record/CD.

That live version of Hope is on the Songs of Peace for Tibet CD.

I think most of what I'm after are any tracks that were released only as a download or for Rock Band or whatever.

Thanks for the response.

Probably not info you're looking for, but on the MFSL version of Signals, there is one line of verse or chorus (I can't remember) on The Weapon that isn't sung and is just music, whereas on the regluar release of Signals, that line is there. It's a simple variation, but notable for those who care about such things.

Probably not info you're looking for, but on the MFSL version of Signals, there is one line of verse or chorus (I can't remember) on The Weapon that isn't sung and is just music, whereas on the regluar release of Signals, that line is there. It's a simple variation, but notable for those who care about such things.

That totally threw me when I bought that gold Signals cd. I did a double take at the missing lyrics.

What I meant to ask was a list of music that was officially released by the band at some point, but is only commercially available as a sound or video file somewhere.

I understand, that's why I said that might not be what you're looking for because they were technically released but since they aren't on any modern cd or dvd I thought I'd include them for completeness' sake or for anyone else reading this thread who might not know about those rare items.

I really want that version of TSOR from 1980 without all the video game noise. I had hoped it would be on itunes at least by now but who knows.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Feb 24 2010, 06:19 PM)

That totally threw me when I bought that gold Signals cd. I did a double take at the missing lyrics.

I understand, that's why I said that might not be what you're looking for because they were technically released but since they aren't on any modern cd or dvd I thought I'd include them for completeness' sake or for anyone else reading this thread who might not know about those rare items.

I really want that version of TSOR from 1980 without all the video game noise. I had hoped it would be on itunes at least by now but who knows.

There story I heard about that missing lyric was that it was added later and wasn't on the original master but who knows. I was thrown too when I first put it on.

You're right though. In any case, it's a pretty good list for those that didn't know or don't know where to find this stuff.

You would think that The Big Money video single would have had the full version, but even that has the edit on it.

Hey there! I've got the videos for Vital Signs, The Body Electric and Countdown. I'm in the process of getting these converted to digital versions to put on my PC. I'll keep y'all posted, if you're interested.

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Mar 4 2010, 06:24 PM)

Hey there! I've got the videos for Vital Signs, The Body Electric and Countdown. I'm in the process of getting these converted to digital versions to put on my PC. I'll keep y'all posted, if you're interested.

I think those are probably out there somewhere already. You Tube maybe?

I appreciate it, thanks, but I've still got my original copy of Through the Camera Eye (along with all the other original VHS releases) which is in surprisingly good shape. I'm sure that others would love to take you up on your offer though! I think there are a lot of people who are probably still unaware of those.

I think you're right, ytserush, I don't have time to look right now but I know they were all there on youtube at least in the recent past and probably still are.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 12 2010, 10:49 PM)

I appreciate it, thanks, but I've still got my original copy of Through the Camera Eye (along with all the other original VHS releases) which is in surprisingly good shape. I'm sure that others would love to take you up on your offer though! I think there are a lot of people who are probably still unaware of those.

I think you're right, ytserush, I don't have time to look right now but I know they were all there on youtube at least in the recent past and probably still are.

I'm pretty sure that someone recorded the "Rushashanah" special on VH1 Classic a few years back. So those digital versions may have come from there.

I've got Through The Camera Eye video (and the others) myself, but I try not to watch them too much.

I should break out the Grace Under Pressure video to refamiliarize myself with the proper version of The Big Money though.

QUOTE (ytserush @ Mar 14 2010, 08:59 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 12 2010, 10:49 PM)

I'm pretty sure that someone recorded the "Rushashanah" special on VH1 Classic a few years back. So those digital versions may have come from there.

I've got Through The Camera Eye video (and the others) myself, but I try not to watch them too much.

I should break out the Grace Under Pressure video to refamiliarize myself with the proper version of The Big Money though.

I watched the full version of the Big Money video the other night.

I still can't believe they didn't put this on Chronicles. Would the extra 42 seconds have killed them?

Archived