Toyota

Tick

Will the mighty Toyota survive the suspension of sales for 8 models and a recall of several years and models of there cars ? What a complete disaster. They recall millions of cars with no solution on how to rectify the problem at hand. The worst thing is there customers must keeping making payments while Toyota trys to figure out how to fix these cars from being potential death traps.

so, who owns a Toyota, and what are your feeling on this matter ? If I had money money to spend on my cars I probably would drive Toyota or Honda, but since I don't I drive GM cars.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an '05 Corolla and it's not under the recalled cars. Still, my father is scared out of his boots about me getting into a wreck with it (due to the gas pedal sticking situation).

Idk, I like my Toyota. This could happen to any car company, model, etc. and has happened in the past. You can't win either way.

CARS SUCK! The minute you drive it off the lot, the value drops and continues to as you put more miles on. They are the worst "investments" but for most walks of life, a necessity comp26.gif

They'll be fine.

Should they show signs of NOT being fine, though, I do not. Not. Want to see them get US rescue money. Let Japan take care of them.

I hope Johnny Blaze pops in here with his opinion. I've always understood that a failure of this magnitude is an extremely big deal in terms of "honor" in Japan. I doubt anyone's going to be committing seppuku over it, but I'd like further explanation from someone there.

I have a Camry and am not the least bit concerned. Of course, my Camry is a little older than the cars with the acceleration problems. And I would buy another in a minute.

I am sorry; I know this post is on the fine line between RS and SOCN. Edit away (or tell me to), should you think it appropriate.

i live in the mtns so i go with subaru. i would like to get an older toyota pickup one of these days though.

toyota has some real issues and i called my parents last night to make sure they knew about the recall as they have a toyota.

apparently the thing to remember if your accelerator goes nuts is to shift it into neutral and coast it out.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 27 2010, 11:06 AM)
They'll be fine.
Should they show signs of NOT being fine, though, I do not. Not. Want to see them get US rescue money. Let Japan take care of them.

I hope Johnny Blaze pops in here with his opinion. I've always understood that a failure of this magnitude is an extremely big deal in terms of "honor" in Japan. I doubt anyone's going to be committing seppuku over it, but I'd like further explanation from someone there.

I have a Camry and am not the least bit concerned. Of course, my Camry is a little older than the cars with the acceleration problems. And I would buy another in a minute.

I am sorry; I know this post is on the fine line between RS and SOCN. Edit away (or tell me to), should you think it appropriate.

I heard on the news that Japans Toyota's are fine because they use different parts in there cars. How messed up is that ?

Hey, here's an idea, use the same parts and ya might not have a problem anymore ? wacko.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jan 27 2010, 11:03 AM)

Idk, I like my Toyota. This could happen to any car company, model, etc. and has happened in the past. You can't win either way.

It could happen to any car, but its happening to Toyota at a time they can ill afford it.

I'm sure all the other company's are loving this one, and I'll bet the US car company's will feed off it when advertising their cars.

For a company that has always prided itself on safety, I would say I believe they are in deep shit right now.

If I was making payments on a Toyota I would be insanely angry that they think I should keep making my payments when I'm driving a death trap they made, and don't know how to fix.

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 27 2010, 10:18 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 27 2010, 11:06 AM)
They'll be fine.
Should they show signs of NOT being fine, though, I do not.  Not.  Want to see them get US rescue money.  Let Japan take care of them. 

I hope Johnny Blaze pops in here with his opinion.  I've always understood that a failure of this magnitude is an extremely big deal in terms of "honor" in Japan.  I doubt anyone's going to be committing seppuku over it, but I'd like further explanation from someone there.

I have a Camry and am not the least bit concerned.  Of course, my Camry is a little older than the cars with the acceleration problems.  And I would buy another in a minute.

I am sorry; I know this post is on the fine line between RS and SOCN.  Edit away (or tell me to), should you think it appropriate.

I heard on the news that Japans Toyota's are fine because they use different parts in there cars. How messed up is that ?

Hey, here's an idea, use the same parts and ya might not have a problem anymore ? wacko.gif

Could be because many Toyotas are indeed manufactured in the U.S. This is not an excuse my any means, just a fact. Mine was a manufactured in the states.

I own a Toyota! But its an 89 Supra back when they made good cars with actual horsepower biggrin.gif

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp199/PeartRules/DSC00508.jpg

So no, Im not effected by this embaressment.

I love my Toyota: 1998 Camry, 269,000 miles, hardly any problems whatsoever. I have never owned a better car and likely never will.

If I could afford to, I would trade my Chevy in for a Toyota in a heartbeat. I almost did last year, but then came to my senses when i realized the payment could not be afforded when pay raises are non-existent.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Jan 27 2010, 03:42 PM)
Toyota will be fine. I have a 4Runner and I'm a Toyota guy for life now!

unless your gas pedal gets stuck and you go off a cliff. tongue.gif

I don't see how anyone could possibly feel not selling 8 models and recalled entire years of cars is no big deal ? This is an unprecedented move. Its one that will surely have a damaging impact on Toyota. I'm personally glad I'm not making monthly payments on a recalled vehicle that could kill me.

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 27 2010, 02:48 PM)
I don't see how anyone could possibly feel not selling 8 models and recalled entire years of cars is no big deal ? This is an unprecedented move. Its one that will surely have a damaging impact on Toyota. I'm personally glad I'm not making monthly payments on a recalled vehicle that could kill me.

I heard a Toyota commercial the other day that stated "80% of all Toyota made in the last 20 years are still on the road. FYI, my Toyota wasn't one of the ones called back but if it was, I'd still buy Toyota.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Jan 27 2010, 03:54 PM)

I heard a Toyota commercial the other day that stated "80% of all Toyota made in the last 20 years are still on the road.

The other 20% went off a cliff ! icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 27 2010, 02:58 PM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Jan 27 2010, 03:54 PM)

I heard a Toyota commercial the other day that stated "80% of all Toyota made in the last 20 years are still on the road.

The other 20% went off a cliff ! icon_really_happy_guy.gif

spit6ph.gif

Personally, I think they will be fine in the end.

You're right though Tick, this is a big deal. Very big. One of NA's major Toyota factories is within our region, so it has been making BIG news around the city!

The majority of my family has been driving Toyota cars for a long time now, and everyone seems to thoroughly enjoy them.

Personally, I drive a Honda Accord, which I also love alot. It's been pretty reliable up to this point (knock on wood), and I've been really happy with it.

All-in-all, I think Toyota will survive. This is just a big deal because it's happening to a company that is not known for these kind of issues, because let's face it, recalls have been happening for years in the auto industry. This is unfortunately, just another one added to that long list.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 27 2010, 03:20 PM)
This is just a big deal because it's happening to a company that is not known for these kind of issues, because let's face it, recalls have been happening for years in the auto industry. This is unfortunately, just another one added to that long list.

Yes.

And in theory, all recalls occur because manufacturing defects can cause bodily harm and sometimes death.

The Japanese auto industry has a lot of quality capital in the minds of the average U.S. consumer so it will take more than this to do any serious damage to Toyota. But it does go to show that they aren't the super car maker that everyone thinks they are.

I have an 03 and she runs just fine.

I agree, these things happen to every car manufacturer. At least they aren't like the Ford Pintos from back in the day which could, you know, like EXPLODE... Or maybe the Pontiac Fieros which looked good, but were literal death traps if you got into a serious accident.

Toyotas have had recalls before as well. I had to take my car in to replace the window bolts because if they weren't replaced, the window could blow out on me. It took all of 30 minutes.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Jan 27 2010, 06:47 PM)
The Japanese auto industry has a lot of quality capital in the minds of the average U.S. consumer so it will take more than this to do any serious damage to Toyota.

Really ? Let a few months go bye without a solution and see how strong they are.

I love the way people are making light of this as if its no big deal ? Name an issue with any American car that is equal to this ? I'm curious if anything of this magnitude has ever happened ?

QUOTE (Rendclaw @ Jan 27 2010, 06:49 PM)
I have an 03 and she runs just fine.

I agree, these things happen to every car manufacturer. At least they aren't like the Ford Pintos from back in the day which could, you know, like EXPLODE... Or maybe the Pontiac Fieros which looked good, but were literal death traps if you got into a serious accident.

Toyotas have had recalls before as well. I had to take my car in to replace the window bolts because if they weren't replaced, the window could blow out on me. It took all of 30 minutes.

Are you for real ? This is not an ordinary recall, this is a total hault of sales on 8 different models and a recall on ENTIRE YEARS of there cars. Fiero was a deathtrap? what do you call the current problem with Toyota's cars ?

Archived