Toyota

Tick

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Alex @ Jan 28 2010, 10:17 AM)
You know what? I think all cars these days suck.

Except for that Indian one for 2500 bucks.

I could put that on the credit card and have it paid off in no time.

Plus it's a bargain for the money. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jan 28 2010, 11:13 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jan 27 2010, 06:36 PM)
QUOTE (daveyt @ Jan 27 2010, 07:35 PM)
GM ALL DAY

goodpost.gif

I think we see the true agenda behind the thread now.

Thanks tick. eyesre4.gif

I'm a GM guy. Every car I have ever owned was a GM, except by 82 Charger, which was a piece of shit. It was sad it was even called a Charger, cause it was an econo crap car.

That being said, why do you feel like defending Toyota to the death just because you like there cars ? Tell me how it makes sense to recall millions of cars, but tell the owners of these cars to just keep driving them ? wacko.gif

I'm a huge car guy folks. My grandfather was a mechanic. My father is a mechanic that ran a motor pool for the Air Force for almost 30 years. I was raised around cars, and my love affair with the automobile runs long and deep.

My father is a huge GM fan, and as they say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. During the 80's and 90's I owned some serious pigs. I had a 1988 Beretta that was always broke. Then I had a 1993 Olds that had problems that never got corrected. I almost swore of GM products. I even test drove a Maxima once. But in 2000, I bought a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. That was the first car I had ever owned that required nothing of me beyond maintenance. Since that car, I have seen first hand the quality improvements in the products GM and even Ford have made.

For years, the Car and Driver 10 best list was always void of cars from GM. Now the Corvette and Cadillac CTS make regular appearances in the list. If you haven't seen the new Taurus, Malibu, CTS, Camaro, or Buick LaCrosse, you really need to.

American cars are not what they used to be. I think it's cool when folks like Tick have a little pride in the products that are designed and built in this country. Especially now, when we are seeing some products that are coming out of Detroit that are truly world class.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 28 2010, 10:29 AM)
American cars are not what they used to be

This exact statement is why many in this country chose Toyotas or Hondas when we were growing up and old enough to afford a great car.

I'll freely admit I'm biased and I take a little offense at the attempt to trash my car of choice in this thread. I will put my nearly 300,000 mile Toyota of 12 years up against ANY like make of Chrysler, Dodge, Chevy, Ford, Buick you name it. I have had nothing but fantastic experiences with my car.

On the other hand, my first car was a Ford and I spent well over $5,000 repeatedly repairing just the ENGINE on that car (aside from other problems and routine maintenance). I owned a Cavalier which ran decent, but had problems right after I paid it off (around 100,000 miles) and my wife's car, a Malibu, has had numerous problems already at only 130,000 miles.

My Toyota has had no.....REPEAT NO.....major problems in my 12 years of owning the car. It will be a very sad day for me when it finally dies, because I don't know if I will see its equal ever again.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Jan 28 2010, 10:26 AM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jan 28 2010, 10:14 AM)

American cars comprise 80% of this list.

I can't say that surprises me one bit.

My point was that this Toyota recall isn't that huge. It has happened before on a much larger scale.

Yes, I got that point.

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 28 2010, 10:22 AM)
Tell me how it makes sense to recall millions of cars, but tell the owners of these cars to just keep driving them ? wacko.gif

But what else are they supposed to do? They are making people aware of the problem and giving advice on what to do if it happens. Other cars that have been recalled for other various problems were still driven on the road until they were fixed by the manufacturer, am I correct?

I'm not trying to make this post sound snotty, I guess I want to see what else can be done. If Toyota truly doens't know how to fix the problem, well, I assume they will figure it out. Until then, instead of tinkering with the cars and making the problem (heaven forbid) worse... this is what it is.

Dangerous? Perhaps, but I don't see Toyota ignoring this problem and making light of it. My understanding is the problem was first thought to be the car mats getting stuck in the gas pedal. If they truly thought that was the case and did no extra research into the cause, all the car mats would be recalled, people would go on their merry way thinking the problem was fixed when it really wasn't -- and then yes, accidents would still happen. They discovered the mats really aren't the problem and something else has to be done.

It's a truly crappy situation but I can't find a better solution at the moment...then again, I'm not a Toyota spokeswoman either. confused13.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jan 28 2010, 12:30 PM)
Tell me how it makes sense to recall millions of cars, but tell the owners of these cars to just keep driving them ?  wacko.gif

But what else are they supposed to do? They are making people aware of the problem and giving advice on what to do if it happens. Other cars that have been recalled for other various problems were still driven on the road until they were fixed by the manufacturer, am I correct?

I'm not trying to make this post sound snotty, I guess I want to see what else can be done. If Toyota truly doens't know how to fix the problem, well, I assume they will figure it out. Until then, instead of tinkering with the cars and making the problem (heaven forbid) worse... this is what it is.

Dangerous? Perhaps, but I don't see Toyota ignoring this problem and making light of it. My understanding is the problem was first thought to be the car mats getting stuck in the gas pedal. If they truly thought that was the case and did no extra research into the cause, all the car mats would be recalled, people would go on their merry way thinking the problem was fixed when it really wasn't -- and then yes, accidents would still happen. They discovered the mats really aren't the problem and something else has to be done.

It's a truly crappy situation but I can't find a better solution at the moment...then again, I'm not a Toyota spokeswoman either. confused13.gif

Sorry, that answer does not work for me. How can you justify recalling millions of cars with no solution on how to fix them, but your answer to your concerned customers carting there kids around in them is they should just be extra careful and keep driving the unsafe recalled vehicles ? Your recalling cars because you are deeming them unsafe, but your telling people to drive them anyway ?

I know Toyota is in a tough spot, but what if someone crashes tomorrow and dies in the midst of there most recent advise? Then what happens?

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 28 2010, 11:41 AM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jan 28 2010, 12:30 PM)
Tell me how it makes sense to recall millions of cars, but tell the owners of these cars to just keep driving them ?  wacko.gif

Sorry, that answer does not work for me. How can you justify recalling millions of cars with no solution on how to fix them, but your answer to your concerned customers carting there kids around in them is they should just be extra careful and keep driving the unsafe recalled vehicles ? Your recalling cars because you are deeming them unsafe, but your telling people to drive them anyway ?

I know Toyota is in a tough spot, but what if someone crashes tomorrow and dies in the midst of there most recent advise? Then what happens?

It would terrible, absolutely. And I hope it doesn't happen, truly.

I just wonder how many other recalls caused the manufacturers to make people stop driving their calls altogether. I'm not sure since I don't keep up on recall history..

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jan 28 2010, 10:39 AM)

This exact statement is why many in this country chose Toyotas or Hondas when we were growing up and old enough to afford a great car.

Those people are behind the curve. You didn't read ILSnowdog's post. American cars have been steadily improving for years. They bottomed out in quality in the eighties and that was when the Japanese cars became popular. In the seventies labor unions, the strong dollar and the high price of gasoline all contributed to handicapping American car companies. They had to cut corners to make a profit and were behind the Japanese in economy cars. At the time, you could buy a Japanese car for about 30% less than a comparable American car. So the Japanese cars could be made better and still compete with the American cars that were being made with less quality control.

My dad was a huge buy American guy but in the seventies after a bunch of lemons from GM and Ford, he decided to buy a Nissan Stanza in 1982. He loved that car and became a Nissan guy. But, just like in the seventies, things change. The handicaps that American car makers had to deal with Japan in the seventies have been evened out somewhat. U.S. cars are no longer 30% more expensive, in fact the trend is the other way now. I think Japanese cars are more expensive for a comparable model. Many of the Japanese only car buyers don't know what they're missing.

And if you live in America, that all things being equal, buying American products is smart.

This was just on CNN:

http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/27/autos/toyo...ndex.htm?hpt=T1

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Toyota's recall troubles continue to grow, with the total number of vehicles affected by two recalls involving gas pedals growing to at least 5.3 million.

The latest addition to the recalls was announced Wednesday, with 1.1 million vehicles added to the 4.2 million recalled in November to fix a problem in which the gas pedal can become caught on the edge of the removable floormat, causing the vehicle to accelerate uncontrollably.

Facebook Digg Twitter Buzz Up! Email Print Comment on this story

A separate recall of 2.3 million vehicles announced last week, involving accelerator pedals that can stick on their own -- is being expanded to include an undisclosed number of vehicles in Europe.

In most cases, the same vehicles are involved in both recalls. It was not immediately clear how many different vehicles, in total, are part of the two actions.

The vehicles being added to the floormat-related recall are the 2008-2010 Highlander, 2009-2010 Corolla, 2009-2010 Venza, 2009-2010 Matrix, 2009-2010 Pontiac Vibe.

General Motors' Pontiac car is included in the recall because the Vibe and Toyota's Matrix are similar vehicles that were produced under a partnership between the two companies.

The vehicles originally included in the floormat-related recall were the 2007-2010 Toyota Camry, 2005-2010 Avalon, 2004-2009 Prius, 2010 Tacoma, 2007-2010 Tundra and the 2007-2010 Lexus ES350, 2006-2010 IS250 and the 2006-2010 IS350.

Most, but not all, of the vehicles involved in the stuck pedal recall are also involved in the other recall. They are the 2009-2010 Toyota RAV4, Corolla and Matrix and the Pontiac Vibe; the 2005-2010 Avalon; 2010 Highlander; 2007-2010 Tundra and the 2008-2010 Sequoia; and some 2007-2010 Camrys.

Toyota has been working with the pedal supplier and is close to having a new pedal design ready for approval by regulators, a Toyota spokesman said Thursday.

In the meantime, owners who experience sticking or slowness in the movement of their car's gas pedal should stop driving the car and call a Toyota dealer immediately.

The stuck pedal recall is being expanded to Europe, Toyota announced late Wednesday. The numbers of vehicles involved in the European recall is not yet known.

"A running change in production using different parts has already been implemented model-by-model in the European production," Toyota said in a statement. "Therefore there is no need or intention to stop production in Europe."

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Jan 28 2010, 12:12 PM)

Those people are behind the curve. You didn't read ILSnowdog's post. American cars have been steadily improving for years. They bottomed out in quality in the eighties and that was when the Japanese cars became popular.

Yes I did read his post.

And take a wild guess when I made my first car buying decision?

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 28 2010, 08:40 AM)
QUOTE (Rendclaw @ Jan 28 2010, 02:36 AM)
Yeah tick, I think you need to eat some saltpeter, because your hard-on for Toyota is showing.

Think what you want but maybe its you who gets a hard on from Toyota ? I'm merely discussing a major car company with a major issue, and many just just reasoning it away. People have died, Toyota has recalled millions of cars they can't fix, and they advise to there customers at this time is too just keep driving them in the meantime ? Sounds like they just don't want customers to feel justified in not making there monthly payments. yes.gif

Tick, can you please attach a link for the article which states that a death occurred because of this Toyota issue??

From what I heard as of this morning, there have been no reported accidents, injuries, or deaths from this problem.

Also...from what I heard, a new redesigned pedal is in full production, and will start being made available within 10-14 days.

http://m.freep.com/news.jsp?key=592403&rc=ne

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 28 2010, 02:53 PM)
Yeah tick, I think you need to eat some saltpeter, because your hard-on for Toyota is showing.

Think what you want but maybe its you who gets a hard on from Toyota ? I'm merely discussing a major car company with a major issue, and many just just reasoning it away. People have died, Toyota has recalled millions of cars they can't fix, and they advise to there customers at this time is too just keep driving them in the meantime ? Sounds like they just don't want customers to feel justified in not making there monthly payments. yes.gif

Tick, can you please attach a link for the article which states that a death occurred because of this Toyota issue??

From what I heard as of this morning, there have been no reported accidents, injuries, or deaths from this problem.

Also...from what I heard, a new redesigned pedal is in full production, and will start being made available within 10-14 days.

I don't have a link, but I do remember seeing on the TV news that a family couldn't stop their car, it drove through the intersection and the fatal accident occurred.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jan 28 2010, 01:15 PM)

Those people are behind the curve. You didn't read ILSnowdog's post. American cars have been steadily improving for years. They bottomed out in quality in the eighties and that was when the Japanese cars became popular.

Yes I did read his post.

I was right there with you. I drove a new 1987 Celica when I was college. It was a great car and in its class nothing made in America even came close to it. (The Ford Probe comes to mind 062802puke_prv.gif )

But that was then, it's now 2010 and things change. Japan has nothing that comes close to this:

http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/08/2010-chevrolet-camaro-ss.jpg

smile.gif

I think different folks have different criteria for determining a great car. Reliability is still top for me. The vast majority of data that I have seen points to the Japanese making the most reliable cars. This has been born out in my personal experience as well.

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Jan 28 2010, 03:42 PM)
I think different folks have different criteria for determining a great car. Reliability is still top for me. The vast majority of data that I have seen points to the Japanese making the most reliable cars. This has been born out in my personal experience as well.

goodpost.gif

That's among my top criteria as well.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jan 28 2010, 04:19 AM)
Ill never buy an american car again. Ive had toyotas and now own a Mazda, and they both are solid. Every american car ive owned started acting up after about 60 to 80,000 miles.

Regular maintenance, oil change, etc. was done , and they always shit the bed way to soon. Maybe it was just bad luck, but they always gave me problems. I mean, its cool you are backing the GM models, but for the last 25 years, the Japanese cars have been more reliable. Maybe they are now starting to catch up, but to little, to late.

My dad brought his car in today to be checked . Good to go

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jan 28 2010, 03:58 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jan 28 2010, 04:19 AM)
Ill never buy an american car again. Ive had toyotas and now own a Mazda, and they both are solid. Every american car ive owned started acting up after about 60 to 80,000 miles.

Regular maintenance, oil change, etc. was done , and they always shit the bed way to soon. Maybe it was just bad luck, but they always gave me problems. I mean, its cool you are backing the GM models, but for the last 25 years, the Japanese cars have been more reliable. Maybe they are now starting to catch up, but to little, to late.

You are not alone as this reflects my experience as well.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Jan 28 2010, 04:17 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jan 28 2010, 01:15 PM)

Yes I did read his post.

I was right there with you. I drove a new 1987 Celica when I was college. It was a great car and in its class nothing made in America even came close to it. (The Ford Probe comes to mind 062802puke_prv.gif )

But that was then, it's now 2010 and things change. Japan has nothing that comes close to this:

http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/08/2010-chevrolet-camaro-ss.jpg

smile.gif

Hell yeah !!!!! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

http://www.chevroletcamaro.info/images/camaro7.jpg

Damn straight nothing from Japan can touch it !

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 28 2010, 03:53 PM)

"Sean Kane, director of Safety Research and Strategies, a consumer group that conducts research into motor vehicle safety issues, said his firm has identified 2,274 incidents of sudden unintended acceleration in Toyota vehicles leading to at least 275 crashes and 18 deaths since 1999."

http://www.leadertelegram.com/news/daily_u...b0d10a8224.html

Archived