Brooks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Limelight

The Solar Federation

or

Cask of '43

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 24 2010, 03:00 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 23 2010, 10:51 PM)
I like the idea of having a name as the name: Jack Secret  ph34r.gif

Interesting. I think I know what that means, but I'm not going there.

There's nothing dark or dirty about it. It's the name used for the unofficial 4th member in the past that has played keyboards, etc. I'm sure you can look it up and find it pretty easily. I thought it was something every diehard Rush fan knew. I just like the idea of a name. Being named after a popular song seems done just to draw the casual fans to the gig (and that's obviously fine).

unobtrusive companions tongue.gif

middletown rhythms

For my first tribute band project (which never made it to a live stage after over 3 years of trying to get a firm lineup), I wanted to pick a line from a song rather than a song name or album title, just to be a bit different. I had picked "Illusion of Integrity" from TSOR as I thought it would be a fitting name for a Rush cover band. My bandmates were not crazy about it, but is sort of grew on them (a little). I went on to another band who chose the rather un-original (and confusing) "Limelight". Pretty much every popular song title has been taken many times, and a lot of bands have to specify "Band X from location Y".

On the one hand, you don't want to pick a band name so obscure only the die-hards would get it, but on the other hand, you want to avoid confusion, especially with bands other bands in the area. It would be a good idea to check the Rush Tribute band list website, it has them all, including all 7 2112's. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Jan 24 2010, 04:34 PM)
YYZ RDU

Ha!!! actually, since we're greensboro/winston, ours should be YYZ PTI...

QUOTE (PW_Guitarist @ Jan 27 2010, 08:40 AM)

On the one hand, you don't want to pick a band name so obscure only the die-hards would get it, but on the other hand, you want to avoid confusion, especially with bands other bands in the area. It would be a good idea to check the Rush Tribute band list website, it has them all, including all 7 2112's. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

yep! decided this already.

it is fun kicking around obscure lyric names.

how do you spell "ross-in-non-tay"?

i like "spiral sea unending", sounds like a jamband.

"never turn your back on a monster!".

QUOTE (Brooks @ Jan 27 2010, 08:53 AM)
it is fun kicking around obscure lyric names.
how do you spell "ross-in-non-tay"?

Rocinante.

I included it with my three suggestions back on Page One. wink.gif

Rocinante is the name of Don Quixote's horse, in the novel Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes.

Elsewhere in the arts and literature, Rocinante refers to:

The name John Steinbeck gives to the modified camper truck in which he travelled the country in his book Travels With Charley.

The interstellar vessel piloted into a black hole by a man who has fallen for his own misguided interest into it, in the two part mini-saga Cygnus X-1 by Canadian progressive rock band Rush.

Julia de Burgos's description of herself in her 1938 poem 'A Julia de Burgos': "que yo soy Rocinante corriendo desbocado" (trans. by Grace Schulman: "I am Rocinante, bolting free, wildly").

Giannina Braschi's horses are named Rocinante and Clarin in the bilingual novel "Yo-Yo Boing!"

The ship flown by Cervantes Quinn, a colorful freelance trader, in "Harbinger," the first volume of the Star Trek Vanguard novel series.

The name "Rocinante" is also the name given to a captured alien ship in Marathon 2: Durandal, and its fan-made sequel Marathon: Rubicon.

Rocinante is the name of a horse in the Inside Track Betting in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

Rocinante is the name of a defunct publication from Chile.

An airplane that crashed while smuggling diamonds in the TV comedy series Psych on the USA Network.

In Alexis Gilliland's Rosinante trilogy, Rosinante is a man-made and inhabited satellite orbiting the Earth. Its partner satellite is called Don Quixote.

I always liked my screenname as a potential tribute band name.

I used to sing with a guy who wanted to start a band called Pop Culture Prophets and I was like oh you like Rush? Because of Totem and all .... but he had no idea what I was talking about.

Archived