MEGADETH!!!

ReturnOfTheRic

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bathory @ Sep 13 2012, 03:24 PM)
I've had many chances to see them and never did it, hopefully I can swing it this time

This november will be my seveth time seeing them. I've seen them in 1994, 1997, 2005, 2007, 2010 and last year. Dave does get caught in the rut of playing the same songs a lot live but i've always enjoyed every performance i've seen from them. With them playing all of CTE there's a chance to hear some songs they've never done or haven't played in years so that will be cool. The only songs i've ever heard them do off that album are Skin O'My Teeth, Syphony Of Destruction and Sweating Bullets. So i'm looking forward to seeing them play the whole albm since i've never seen them do most of the songs before.

I also read a recent concert review that said they're finally tuning down the guitars on this tour to help Mustaine's aging voice. That's a really good idea because when I saw them last year he was hard to hear at times and sounded like he was struggling a bit vocally.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I can't believe they're playing the Starland Ballroom here in New Jersey. I've gone to a handful of shows there and it blows my mind that they're playing there. If it holds 1,200 people, I'd be surprised. You can't find an actual capacity because the website says it depends on who's playing, that it can be altered to a degree. Tix go on-sale today at noon. I'm gonna try my best to get a ticket. Hopefully, I'll be seeing them for my 9th time.

I got to see them when they toured for Countdown in '92. So, this'll be kinda cool to see/ hear the whole album performed 20 years later.

QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Sep 14 2012, 08:58 AM)
I can't believe they're playing the Starland Ballroom here in New Jersey. I've gone to a handful of shows there and it blows my mind that they're playing there. If it holds 1,200 people, I'd be surprised. You can't find an actual capacity because the website says it depends on who's playing, that it can be altered to a degree. Tix go on-sale today at noon. I'm gonna try my best to get a ticket. Hopefully, I'll be seeing them for my 9th time.

I got to see them when they toured for Countdown in '92. So, this'll be kinda cool to see/ hear the whole album performed 20 years later.

The last two times I saw them headline here (2007 and 2010) they played the same venue both times and the place only holds 1,000 people. But i'll be damned if they didn't jam more than they could in there for both shows. Especially the 2010 show where they played all of Rust In Peace, there was not an empty space at all in the venue on that night. I've seen a number of metal shows at this place but both times I saw Megadeth there you couldn't even move it was so jammed up. Once you found a spot you didn't move for the rest of the show. In fact it was so packed that there wasn't any moshing going on simply because there was no room to do it.

The venue they're playing at this time is up in Niagara Falls and is much bigger, about a 2,000 capacity venue. So at least at this show i'll have a little breathing room and maybe i'll get to see a few good mosh pits get going, which is always a nice visual at a metal show 1022.gif

Launch the POLAAAAAARIS!

The end doesn't scare us!

When will it cease?

The warheads will all rust in peace!

Megadeth owns. I think RIP is better than anything Metallica ever put out (but Master of Puppets is pretty friggin' close).

should be a great show, ( hopefully dave can refrain from saying something foolish ) the RIP show i saw was kicking. i saw the CTE tour twice in denver. i think they peaked commercially at youthanasia as i saw them that tour at red rocks which holds around 8 to 9 thousand. the RIP tour was at venue that helds 1200.

my first tour was SFSGSW.

even though I disagree with dave's politics, I hope he makes a funny anti-obama remark, maybe adding some anti-obama lyrics to a song

HELLO AMERICA, MEET THE REAL OBAMA

IN HIS TERRORIST'S WAY OF LIFE

or something to that effect

QUOTE (bathory @ Sep 14 2012, 08:03 PM)
even though I disagree with dave's politics, I hope he makes a funny anti-obama remark, maybe adding some anti-obama lyrics to a song

tongue.gif

dave was ahead of his time as foreclosure of a dream rings true today for me.

dave is dave but like i said the last time is saw them it was great. great to have ellefson back in the band too.

Oh, that's nothing. Here's what Dave said at a concert in Singapore last month:

"Back in my country, my president, is trying to pass a gun ban so he's staging all of these murders. The 'Fast and Furious' thing down at the border. And Aurora, Colorado, all the people that were killed there. And now, the beautiful people at the Sikh temple. I don't know where I'm going to live if America keeps going the way it's going because it looks like it's turning into Nazi America."

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/15/d..._n_1784525.html

So yeah, I firmly believe that either Mustaine has completely lost his damn mind or has fallen off the wagon is back to drinking and shooting up like he was years ago. Whatever it is, i'm sure there will be no shortage of insane, paranoid quotes to come from him in the future.

I got my ticket for the show on november 17th yesterday. It came to $52 after all the charges. That is no doubt the most i've ever paid for not only Megadeth, but for a concert in a general admission venue.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 15 2012, 08:57 AM)

"Back in my country, my president, is trying to pass a gun ban so he's staging all of these murders. The 'Fast and Furious' thing down at the border. And Aurora, Colorado, all the people that were killed there. And now, the beautiful people at the Sikh temple. I don't know where I'm going to live if America keeps going the way it's going because it looks like it's turning into Nazi America."

So yeah, I firmly believe that either Mustaine has completely lost his damn mind or has fallen off the wagon is back to drinking and shooting up like he was years ago. Whatever it is, i'm sure there will be no shortage of insane, paranoid quotes to come from him in the future.

I got my ticket for the show on november 17th yesterday. It came to $52 after all the charges. That is no doubt the most i've ever paid for not only Megadeth, but for a concert in a general admission venue.

yeah, you notice the tour is not going through denver?

dave is dave but that may have been the straw that broke the camels back for me. the fact that he pretty much endorsed rick santorum is proof how much he has changed IMO. he later retracted the endorsement but still....

$52! holy shit, i think the RIP tour was $32 and i thought that was high.

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 15 2012, 09:49 AM)

dave is dave but that may have been the straw that broke the camels back for me. the fact that he pretty much endorsed rick santorum is proof how much he has changed IMO. he later retracted the endorsement but still....

I don't take anything Dave says like this seriously. At this point I just see them as the entertaining and somewhat amusing rants of a very paranoid person. When I read him saying stuff like this I think to myself "that's just Dave, I wonder what he'll come up with next?"

Yeah, for the RIP 20th aniversary tour I only paid around $40 or so after service charges. I saw Megadeth in an amphitheater on the first gigantour in 2005 and the tickets weren't even close to what I paid yesterday. It might depend on the venue to. Playing all of CTE is a great marketing ploy to get people to pay a little bit extra. It worked for them when they did all of RIP, so I don't blame them for trying it again.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 15 2012, 10:01 AM)

I don't take anything Dave says like this seriously. At this point I just see them as the entertaining and somewhat amusing rants of a very paranoid person. When I read him saying stuff like this I think to myself "that's just Dave, I wonder what he'll come up with next?"

Yeah, for the RIP 20th aniversary tour I only paid around $40 or so after service charges. I saw Megadeth in an amphitheater on the first gigantour in 2005 and the tickets weren't even close to what I paid yesterday. It might depend on the venue to. Playing all of CTE is a great marketing ploy to get people to pay a little bit extra. It worked for them when they did all of RIP, so I don't blame them for trying it again.

you are right that its great marketing. give them what they want.

i just checked my ticket and it was $40 not $32.

on a side note, the fact this disc has been out so long is making me mighty old.

must ingest more metal in a futile effort to stay young....... 1022.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 15 2012, 10:01 AM)

Even Ted Nugent would be embarrassed by what Dave Insane said about that shooting. Shame on him for that ignorant remark. dazed025.gif bitchslap.gif facepalm.gif

Edited by invisible airwave

QUOTE (Dream-Theater*#2358 @ Sep 15 2012, 02:47 PM)
Whats awesome is that they are releasing a new box set that has the original Countdown to Extinction remastered, a new live CD (I think it is the same show as the DVD from Warchest), a poster, and some collectible postcards! 1022.gif So far it is only being released in Europe. Anyone know if it is coming to America? confused13.gif

November 6th is the release date for it in America. The setlist on the bonus concert disc is awesome:

Holy Wars... The Punishment Due

Skin O' My Teeth

Wake Up Dead

Hangar 18

Countdown to Extinction

Foreclosure of a Dream

This Was My Life

Lucretia

Sweating Bullets

In My Darkest Hour

The Conjuring

Tornado Of Souls

Ashes in Your Mouth

Peace Sells

Anarchy in the UK

Strange that Symphony Of Destruction isn't on the live bonus disc. Still worth buying just to have a live recording of that set.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Sep 14 2012, 10:59 AM)
Launch the POLAAAAAARIS!
When will it cease?

Megadeth owns. I think RIP is better than anything Metallica ever put out (but Master of Puppets is pretty friggin' close).

I have a kindred spirit in this regard. RIP is one of the most scorching, technical thrash albums EVER...wtf did he let Friedman and Menza slip away??? Dumbass...is the new stuff worthy of RIP praise?

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 18 2012, 08:57 AM)
Launch the POLAAAAAARIS!
When will it cease?

I have a kindred spirit in this regard. RIP is one of the most scorching, technical thrash albums EVER...wtf did he let Friedman and Menza slip away??? Dumbass...is the new stuff worthy of RIP praise?

to me the new music is good however the lyrics have really really fallen off.

the new guys are great players but yeah friedman and menza were awesome. i have friedman solo disc that is great.

as good as friedman is i think the best player dave let go was chris poland. poland is doing some killer fusion in band called ohm.

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 18 2012, 09:04 AM)
Launch the POLAAAAAARIS!
When will it cease?

the new guys are great players but yeah friedman and menza were awesome. i have friedman solo disc that is great.

as good as friedman is i think the best player dave let go was chris poland. poland is doing some killer fusion in band called ohm.

Poland era was good, but never struck me as menza and friedman. Countdown to Extinction has some great Megadeth songs, plus the band was really growing together at that point.

I'm happily stuck with RIP and CTE.

which friedman solo works do you have...Scenes is wonderful art...what an album...

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 18 2012, 09:09 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 18 2012, 09:04 AM)
Launch the POLAAAAAARIS!
When will it cease?

Poland era was good, but never struck me as menza and friedman. Countdown to Extinction has some great Megadeth songs, plus the band was really growing together at that point.

I'm happily stuck with RIP and CTE.

which friedman solo works do you have...Scenes is wonderful art...what an album...

i have music for speeding.

one of the better tunes is

its the unreal thing

looks like he has steve vais drummer playing with him? never seen this video before.

Launch the POLAAAAAARIS!
When will it cease?

Menza was let go because he couldn't participate in the tour for Cryptic Writing's because he had a tumor removed from his knee. Dave didn't wanna cancel shows so they hired another guy to fill in and just kept him. Friedman left in 2000 because he said he got tired of playing metal. He then proceeded to lose his mind, move to Japan, adopt their culture and has pretty much lived in obscurity since then. So, one guy leaving was kind of Mustaine's fault but the other was not.

Of course none of the new stuff is worthy of the praise that RIP gets. That's probably the best thrash metal album ever. But that doesn't mean that Dave still doesn't write some good stuff because he absolutely does.

Here are a few of my favorites from their more recent albums:

"Kick The Chair"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-d2QBSZAwI

"Washington Is Next"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwEp37Yp9rg

"Dialectic Chaos/This Day We Fight!"

"Sudden Death"

For best results, listen with headphones 1022.gif 1022.gif

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 18 2012, 10:13 AM)
Launch the POLAAAAAARIS!
When will it cease?

Menza was let go because he couldn't participate in the tour for Cryptic Writing's because he had a tumor removed from his knee. Dave didn't wanna cancel shows so they hired another guy to fill in and just kept him. Friedman left in 2000 because he said he got tired of playing metal. He then proceeded to lose his mind, move to Japan, adopt their culture and has pretty much lived in obscurity since then. So, one guy leaving was kind of Mustaine's fault but the other was not.

Of course none of the new stuff is worthy of the praise that RIP gets. That's probably the best thrash metal album ever. But that doesn't mean that Dave still doesn't write some good stuff because he absolutely does.

"Kick The Chair"

"Washington Is Next"

"Sudden Death"

Friedman actually has done TV in Japan, hosting a show if I'm not mistaken. His album "scenes" is a stellar, stellar album. Wow...totally unexpected from him.

RIP sounds so awesome great mix on it I felt. Drums sound spectacular. Marty's solo's, tone, fluidity are such monsters. Too bad about Menza, always loved his playing.

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 18 2012, 10:22 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 18 2012, 10:13 AM)
Launch the POLAAAAAARIS!
When will it cease?

"Kick The Chair"

"Washington Is Next"

"Sudden Death"

Friedman actually has done TV in Japan, hosting a show if I'm not mistaken. His album "scenes" is a stellar, stellar album. Wow...totally unexpected from him.

RIP sounds so awesome great mix on it I felt. Drums sound spectacular. Marty's solo's, tone, fluidity are such monsters. Too bad about Menza, always loved his playing.

kick the chair is a good song, probably the best IMO since youthanasia

blackmail the universe is good too. there are poland solos on those songs. he and dave were a good match on peace sells. 1022.gif

menza is playing again. it must a few years ago that i looked him up and listened to his new band. sounded like a poor pantera clone to me so never went any further. menza is a great drummer with a unique sound IMO.