Neil Peart's religious affiliation?

Guest Quigley_Moog

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (dweezil @ Apr 10 2005, 06:39 PM)
Pontification can, at times be pointless.

It is, I believe, pointless by definition.

But isms are a way of classifying ideologies. Surely there's value in that.

QUOTE (physics23 @ Apr 10 2005, 01:21 PM)
I don't know if "Freewill" can be construed as an atheist manifesto. It seems to me rather to be a rejection of determinism.

FYI.. In the 16th century, there was a guy by the name of Zwingly who wrote a very large volume titled "Freewill". It argued that God gave man a freewill, that he was a free agent able to choose. This freedom is part of the answer to why God does not stop evil in the world.

In response to this, a man named Luther answered back with his volume "Bondage to the will". His argument was the man's will was not so free at all. It is in chains to its selfish desires, it does not act so freely , even if it wants to.

They both have their points, and so does Neil. Yet I find the idea "I will choose freewill" awkward. What is there to choose? Freewill is a given. You dont have to choose it, you already have it. Goodwill seems like a noble choice. Freewill does not seem like the triumph that the song tauts. It only seems like a never ending series of standing at the cross roads...again. ..."I will choose the ability to choose"

is what the song sounds like to me. What is so liberating about that?

QUOTE (faultline @ Apr 16 2005, 02:49 AM)
I don't know if "Freewill" can be construed as an atheist manifesto. It seems to me rather to be a rejection of determinism.

FYI.. In the 16th century, there was a guy by the name of Zwingly who wrote a very large volume titled "Freewill". It argued that God gave man a freewill, that he was a free agent able to choose. This freedom is part of the answer to why God does not stop evil in the world.

In response to this, a man named Luther answered back with his volume "Bondage to the will". His argument was the man's will was not so free at all. It is in chains to its selfish desires, it does not act so freely , even if it wants to.

They both have their points, and so does Neil. Yet I find the idea "I will choose freewill" awkward. What is there to choose? Freewill is a given. You dont have to choose it, you already have it. Goodwill seems like a noble choice. Freewill does not seem like the triumph that the song tauts. It only seems like a never ending series of standing at the cross roads...again. ..."I will choose the ability to choose"

Ah, but there is something very liberating about that. If you believe, as I do, that man does not govern his actions, in effect you've chosen the path of determinism (or fatalism; I admit I don't quite know the difference). If you reject the doctrine of determinism, then you've chosen free will - man is master of his will.

It's a clever play on words is what it is - on the word choice. One philosophy says there's really no such thing as choice, and the other says there is. If you "choose not to decide," apparently that means you've chosen determinism, but fundamentally, according to the song, that's still a choice. However, if you've chosen free will, that's the "path that's clear."

QUOTE (faultline @ Apr 16 2005, 08:05 PM)
QUOTE (physics23 @ Apr 16 2005, 11:56 AM)
In Rush's earliest videos, Peart sports a large cross round his neck (and Geddy wears a Star of David).

And we all know that those red stars on the drum kit means Neil is a devil worshipper rofl3.gif rofl3.gif firedevil.gif

Uh... unsure.gif Probably not... laugh.gif

You know he could worship the devil for all i care, its none of our business as fans what they believe in. i dont share my religion with others, and they dont shair theirs back. never the less, i would still listen to them, and still think hes the best drummer.

Just MO

Neil used to read scriptures from the bible before every show when Rush was with Polygram records. I don't know what significance that has about his beliefs, but it's a fact. Their promotor lived next door to my brother and he told me about it. His beliefs should be kept private, though. Let's just listen to the great music and hope for another tour!!!!

QUOTE (earthshine21122 @ May 22 2005, 12:32 AM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Mar 21 2005, 08:29 AM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/jesus.gif

I don't think it's important what Neil believes.

What he brings as a musician and man is enough.

Spoken from a true Rush Fan no.gif

cmon.

you judgin whos a true Rush fan now?

please

QUOTE (earthshine21122 @ May 22 2005, 01:32 AM)

Who are you to dtermine who is a 2.gif fan or not???? Everybody on this board is a fan or otherwise they wouldn't be here. That's just plain wrong to say that. mad.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 22 2005, 01:12 AM)

Who are you to dtermine who is a 2.gif fan or not???? Everybody on this board is a fan or otherwise they wouldn't be here. That's just plain wrong to say that. mad.gif

love to you my brother AlienSmiley.gif

QUOTE (physics23 @ May 20 2005, 01:09 PM)

Ah, but there is something very liberating about that. If you believe, as I do, that man does not govern his actions, in effect you've chosen the path of determinism (or fatalism; I admit I don't quite know the difference). If you reject the doctrine of determinism, then you've chosen free will - man is master of his will.

It's a clever play on words is what it is - on the word choice. One philosophy says there's really no such thing as choice, and the other says there is. If you "choose not to decide," apparently that means you've chosen determinism, but fundamentally, according to the song, that's still a choice. However, if you've chosen free will, that's the "path that's clear."

How profound! I will choose Freewill. It's like a circular reference. It assumes an absolute truth is the ability to choose. And if that's valid, what's the significance about "choosing" it?

Unless the song was to meant to express each of our responsibility for oursnelves.

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ May 22 2005, 03:36 AM)
QUOTE (physics23 @ May 20 2005, 01:09 PM)

How profound! I will choose Freewill. It's like a circular reference. It assumes an absolute truth is the ability to choose. And if that's valid, what's the significance about "choosing" it?

Unless the song was to meant to express each of our responsibility for oursnelves.

When your good your good biggrin.gif

QUOTE (earthshine21122 @ May 22 2005, 07:32 AM)

How would you know anyway? fing.gif

Dweez doesn't feel the need to prove it every day like some no.gif

Anyhoo you just have it in for her, save your nasty personal attacks for the politics forum! mad.gif

QUOTE (Huck @ May 22 2005, 06:58 AM)

Anyhoo you just have it in for her, save your nasty personal attacks for the politics forum! mad.gif

It's okay babe.

She don't know me.

Remember that JA song?

Obvious

you don't know me but

you just keep on looking at me down low. oh no!

digging something up

QUOTE (dweezil @ May 22 2005, 05:10 PM)

It's okay babe.

She don't know me.

Remember that JA song?

Obvious

you don't know me but

digging something up

Yeah babe..why do they make it so so so obvious...

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 20 2005, 04:51 PM)
Here is a letter Neil sent to an editor of a paper which did an article of a Christian group which was running some seminar on the "evils of rock music". He pretty much sums up his beliefs as far as religion goes...I believe this was done in 1981. He also talked about this in his book Travelling Music (pages 265-267).

http://www.holysmoke.org/sdhok/sat31.htm

This answers my question in general discussions on the existence of the RUSH subliminal message on "Farewell to Kings" I think.... unsure.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 22 2005, 02:12 AM)

Well if you breakdown all posts made or replied on this RUSH forum you would come to the same conclusion. Another being constantly confused to post replies using RUSH lyrics. And posting pics of another band were all other members post pics of RUSH.

QUOTE (Huck @ May 22 2005, 07:58 AM)

Hey huck!!

Maybe you should review some of her topics.

The need to prove what everyday huck? What is it?? Being a Rush fan on a Rush forum?

Anywho I do not have it in for her, again review some of her topics and or mine. Its the other way around pal.

She has it in for any member who mentions the christian faith, she even started topics to cause a reason to bad mouth any replies made by members standing up to their faith.

And your comment meaning how would I know anyway meaning about RUSH? Well huck, my cat knows more about RUSH than dweezle.

Why are you answering for her anywho?? She thinks kids being raped and killed is shit happening?

She can dish it out, but when it comes to the pivital point she needs huck??

QUOTE (dweezil @ May 22 2005, 11:10 AM)

It's okay babe.

She don't know me.

Remember that JA song?

Obvious

you don't know me but

digging something up

fing.gif fing.gif EXAMPLE:

She don't know me.

Remember that ja song?????????

HELLO RUSH FORUM HERE??????

Yeah like ja I don't know her, nor does she know anyone on the forum either to spew what ever comes to her mind.

In order not to get another strike --------------- I guess "I'm" not the village idiot here huck..........

Archived