Them Crooked Vultures

ElderberryRyan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read about them in Rolling Stone. Sounds interesting.

Some thoughts from a friend of mine on "Them Crooked Vultures"

http://thr33qu33ns.blogspot.com/

You have to have been hiding under a boulder the size of Texas to have not heard about the latest, and possibly greatest, "supergroup" ever, Them Crooked Vultures. To think that the sum of it's parts could be greater than it's simple mathematical equation has never seemed a more plausible scenario. You start with one of the greatest drummers of one of the greatest bands of all time, Nirvana's Dave Grohl. Then you throw in someone who virtually defines the phrase "rock royalty," Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones. Add to that one of the most highly esteemed and successful singer/guitarists of the past decade (or two), Queens of the Stone Age's Josh Homme. Ok, cliche as it may be, I have to use the phrase, "You do the math!" Impossible as it seems, it appears that this band is actually going to meet those unbelievably high expectations. Their debut self-titled album is scheduled to drop in a few weeks, and the first single "New Fang" will be released next week as a free download. But guess what, bitches? The Three Queens have got it for your sexy ass already! The tune is a madly driving southern-style boogie masterpiece, and here it is...

http://www.zshare.net/audio/6758727064dcd1b8/

and;

A couple weeks ago we posted the first single from the rock and roll behemoth that is Them Crooked Vultures, a smokin' track called "New Fang." Now a second track from the album has leaked, and it's possibly even more deliciously mad than "Fang." It's called "Mind Eraser, No Chaser," and it's chock-full of Josh Homme's insane riffing and twisted, jagged leads, Dave Grohl's elegantly brutish pounding and John Paul Jones' relentlessly driving bass. And that's just the tip of the iceberg, it even ends with a sweet little brass coda. It's as close to a rock and roll overdose as you're likely to come!

To answer the question............no

I've just barely heard of them. The review I read said it mostly sounded like Queens Of The Stone Age, like it was a bad thing. I'm a big fan of QOTSA (or anything Josh Homme, for that matter), so I may really like this.

Bought it last Tuesday but haven't listened to it yet.

I saw THEM CROOKED VULTURES in Oakland at The Fox.

They fukking blew the roof off that place. SOLD OUT HIGH OCTANE ENERGY!

All of you NIRVANA HATERS need to see Dave Grohl rip the shit out of the skins.

He was INCREDIBLE!

John Paul Jones played all kinds of instruments. Bass, guitar, keys and a KEYTAR!

It was nice to see a living Led Zep member in the flesh.

John was the backbone of the Mighty Zep if you ask me. He looked great for his age too!

John and Dave's eyes were locked onto each other throughout most of the night. "Warsaw" was MINDBLOWING!!

Josh is the "Weakest Link" for sure. I never was into the Queens Of The Stone Age so maybe that is an unfair statement. He was just alright that night.

There music is much better live than on that cd. Still that album is a MUST HAVE if you love ROCK.

I think Grohl can hit the drums just as hard as John Bonham did!!

Signed,

"IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR!" 1022.gif

Unfortunately, with Josh Homme being the Rock God among Indie Kids that he is over here, the album got hyped and now the Indie Kids don't like it because it isn't the rock album that changes all rock albums for the future. Why are people expecting this album to be change the face of rock? Gah. It's pure fun to listen to. That should do the trick.

Has anyone seen the Gunman video?

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Dec 1 2009, 02:33 PM)
Unfortunately, with Josh Homme being the Rock God among Indie Kids that he is over here, the album got hyped and now the Indie Kids don't like it because it isn't the rock album that changes all rock albums for the future. Why are people expecting this album to be change the face of rock? Gah. It's pure fun to listen to. That should do the trick.

Has anyone seen the Gunman video?

goodpost.gif

I love the GUNMAN video! This band RULES!

I heard that they are going to do a second record!

Maybe by then all the Indie Kids will wake up from their brainwashed minds!

Signed,

OPERATION MINDCRIME

I gave it a listen last Friday while finishing the new Ratchet and Clank game - in other words, I didn't give it a proper listen, as I had to take my headphones off to watch the ending of the game. But I definitely liked what I heard. I'll try and give it its deserved proper listen this weekend - and maybe I'll add in Porcupine Tree's The Incident.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Dec 1 2009, 07:25 PM)
I gave it a listen last Friday while finishing the new Ratchet and Clank game - in other words, I didn't give it a proper listen, as I had to take my headphones off to watch the ending of the game. But I definitely liked what I heard. I'll try and give it its deserved proper listen this weekend - and maybe I'll add in Porcupine Tree's The Incident.

It's all about the Epic "Warsaw" song dude.

Pop it in and CRANK IT!

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 27 2009, 04:13 AM)
I'm sort of interested in this despite not being much of a QOTSA fan nor a Dave Grohl freak. I've heard bits...sounded ok. Can anyone convince me further of the merits of the album?

It rocks balls.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Dec 27 2009, 04:40 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 27 2009, 04:13 AM)
I'm sort of interested in this despite not being much of a QOTSA fan nor a Dave Grohl freak. I've heard bits...sounded ok. Can anyone convince me further of the merits of the album?

It rocks balls.

as long as it doesn't suck balls

laugh.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 27 2009, 11:01 PM)
I saw THEM CROOKED VULTURES in Oakland at The Fox.
They fukking blew the roof off that place. SOLD OUT HIGH OCTANE ENERGY!
All of you NIRVANA HATERS need to see Dave Grohl rip the shit out of the skins.
He was INCREDIBLE!

John Paul Jones played all kinds of instruments. Bass, guitar, keys and a KEYTAR!
It was nice to see a living Led Zep member in the flesh.
John was the backbone of the Mighty Zep if you ask me. He looked great for his age too!
John and Dave's eyes were locked onto each other throughout most of the night. "Warsaw" was MINDBLOWING!!
Josh is the "Weakest Link" for sure. I never was into the Queens Of The Stone Age so maybe that is an unfair statement. He was just alright that night.

There music is much better live than on that cd. Still that album is a MUST HAVE if you love ROCK.

I think Grohl can hit the drums just as hard as John Bonham did!!

Signed,

"IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR!" 1022.gif

I was at the Oakland show too! Also caught them in LA on the night of the release. As good as the album is, you can't truly appreciate them unless you see them live.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 27 2009, 01:13 AM)

Nobody Loves Me and Neither Do I ~ A funky boogie tune with an EXPLOSION OF SOUND at about the 2:44 mark that still leaves me feeling like I've been pleasantly assaulted. JPJ's slide bass work sounds fantastic.

Mind Eraser (No Chaser) ~ Crunchy, angular and poppy, it's the most Foo Fighter sounding tune on the album, with a little Guns 'n' Roses thrown in for good measure. This will probably be the next single released, after...

New Fang ~ The first single and the most broadly appealing song. Texas blues with lots of twang.

Dead End Friends ~ A very Josh Homme led tune that sounds like something off of his side project, 'Desert Sessions'. Simple, raw Rock and Roll. Currently my favorite on the disc.

Elephants ~ One of my least favorites, it still has it's moments. The middle section is a bit plodding for me, but the intro and ending are crowd surfing, thrash metal bliss.

Scumbag Blues ~ Pure Fu*&ing CREAM. As in the band. Josh does and amazing Jack Bruce impersonation. It has an interesting and unique guitar chorus at 1:43.

Bandoliers ~ Hard to describe, it took me a few listens to get into this one, but it's grown on me. Pop rock with an alternative twist, it's one of those tunes that reminds you of several different bands, but you can't quite put your finger on whom. There is a really satisfying timing trick that they play toward the end, switching the start of the measure to the downbeat to the upbeat.

Reptiles ~ Probably the most Zep sounding tune on the album with frantic, demented vocals and Physical Graffiti style melody and beat. If Zep ever reunites, this song proves that Grohl is up to the task.

Interlude (with Ludes) ~ The strangest song on the disc that I appreciated more once I saw it live. An acquired taste to be sure.

Warsaw ~ The bolding is intentional. This by far their best live song and it's no coincidence that they've been ending their show with this tune for months. Mix the grungy slide of Clutch with the melodic sense of George Harrison and a taste of Primus and you have Warsaw. They've lengthened this song to about twelve minutes live into a Space Jam, trading guitar riffs and improvising in different ways. I've seen about twelve different versions of this song on Youtube and every one is different.

Caligulove ~ If Scumbag is Cream, than this song is The Doors. All of the band members channeled a lot of dead musicians from the 60s and 70s when they were writing this song. I suspect rampant drug use. 653.gif

Gunman ~ The 'Dance Tune' on the disc. Part disco, part White Zombie, part David Bowie. Love the funkiness of it and it sounded even better live.

Spinning In Daffodils ~ Urgent and dangerous, it makes me feel like I'm riding my Undead horse, chain smoking cigarettes while being ceaselessly pursued by the restless ghost of Stevie Ray Vaughn, and not in a bad way. Live, JPJ performed a short but absolutely beautiful piano solo. Another of my favorites from the album.

Overall, I'd give this recording four out of five stars. It's a great first effort and the band has only gotten tighter live as their tour has carried on.

They've already verbally committed to doing a followup album, the only question is...when? Neither Josh or Dave are ready to give up their regular bands, but this project has been successful enough for them to consider putting the Foos and QotSA on hiatus for a while.

Although I'm a QotSA addict, TCV has almost certainly surpassed them, and I wouldn't mind at all if this became their regular gig for the time being! martini_shaken.gif