Judy Blume

barney_rebel

You'd think all this was tame by today's standards, but some extreme-right religious groups still have a problem with some of Blume's stuff. A few of her books are on the "Top 100 List" of frequently challenged books for school libraries. "Forever" was the second most challenged book of 2005.

"Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret" dared to comfort girls through puberty, and even - gasp - discussed periods! Margaret is also the daughter of a Christian mother and a Jewish father, wrestling with her own understanding and beliefs about God.

"Forever," for slightly older girls, was about a teenaged couple who had pre-marital sex regularly! ohmy.gif It's handled well, in my opinion: they discuss their feelings carefully before deciding to have sex, and they obtain contraception at a clinic.

Her book "Deenie" is about a teenaged girl with an overbearing mother; she also learns she has scoliosis and will have to wear a back brace for four years. This one gets attacked because Deenie masturbates. "[That week] I touched my special place practically every night. It was the only way I could fall asleep and besides, it felt good." [p. 90] and "Usually I take a shower and get out as fast as I can, but I liked the feeling of relaxation and I rubbed my special spot with my wash cloth until I got that special feeling." [p. 97]

You'd think all this was tame by today's standards, but some extreme-right religious groups still have a problem with some of Blume's stuff. A few of her books are on the "Top 100 List" of frequently challenged books for school libraries. "Forever" was the second most challenged book of 2005.

You're politicizing the thread. This is probably the third or fourth time you've done something like this and I've had to call you on it. I don't have any other "repeat offenders" as I've never had to tell anyone else more than once not to do this. How many times am I going to have to tell you that such things aren't allowed outside of SOCN? Did you forget or do you just think that the rules don't apply to you?

I read most of her books. I'd recommend It's Not The End Of The World for any kid whose parents are divorcing.

Never could understand why Margaret was so dadgum anxious to get her dadgum period. I was seriously bummed, myself.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 21 2009, 10:14 AM)

You're politicizing the thread. This is probably the third or fourth time you've done something like this and I've had to call you on it. I don't have any other "repeat offenders" as I've never had to tell anyone else more than once not to do this. How many times am I going to have to tell you that such things aren't allowed outside of SOCN? Did you forget or do you just think that the rules don't apply to you?

I dunno Jack, I didn't take it as political and I'm very sensitive about that stuff (which is why I don't go in SCON).

I think that's more of a fact: conservatives have been challenging her books for years. As a librarian, I can tell you book challenges come from either extreme -- the liberal side and the conservative side. I think GR was repsonding to the thread bringing up the book challenges because Judy Blum is known for this anyways..

Just my $.02. I doubt this thread would turn political if it hadn't been pointed out as such. Maybe it would have, then it could have been dealt with, yes?

trink39.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Oct 21 2009, 11:03 AM)

I dunno Jack, I didn't take it as political and I'm very sensitive about that stuff (which is why I don't go in SCON).

I think that's more of a fact: conservatives have been challenging her books for years. As a librarian, I can tell you book challenges come from either extreme -- the liberal side and the conservative side. I think GR was repsonding to the thread bringing up the book challenges because Judy Blum is known for this anyways..

Just my $.02. I doubt this thread would turn political if it hadn't been pointed out as such. Maybe it would have, then it could have been dealt with, yes?

trink39.gif

I agree.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Oct 21 2009, 11:03 AM)

trink39.gif

Thanks for your input.

I didn't see it as overly political; on the contrary, I think everyone is being fairly restrained in their comments. GR did editorialize a little (the gaspy-faced smiley after premarital sex), but it was pretty mild.

Maybe move the thread? I dunno.

I will say that the best way to send a book straight to the top of the best-seller list is to try to get it banned. That's been the case ever since the Catholic Church started its Index of Banned Books - stuff Catholics couldn't read without risking eternal damnation. At least if they didn't confess it and do penance. wink.gif

Edited by Mara

See, the problem is that all it takes is one little mention of "those rotten liberals" or "those rotten conservatives" and then before you know it someone else comes along and piles on about how those rotten take-your-picks are so bad that they cause babies to be born naked and they just hate them so much for ruining everything and before you know it there's a rollicking political brawl happening outside of SOCN. And we have limited political discussion to one forum for a reason: there's lots of folks here who just don't want to see it. So if I see something that has the potential of becoming political I step right in and quash it. Especially when it's someone who has been warned about it before and should know better. Maybe it could have just sat here on it's own and not become political, there is always that possibility. However, I'm not going to take that chance and if I'm going to err then at least I have erred on the side of caution.

Trust me, I've been a mod since this board was founded and I know what I'm doing.

Y'all take care.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 21 2009, 11:57 AM)
See, the problem is that all it takes is one little mention of "those rotten liberals" or "those rotten conservatives" and then before you know it someone else comes along and piles on about how those rotten take-your-picks are so bad that they cause babies to be born naked and they just hate them so much for ruining everything and before you know it there's a rollicking political brawl happening outside of SOCN. And we have limited political discussion to one forum for a reason: there's lots of folks here who just don't want to see it. So if I see something that has the potential of becoming political I step right in and quash it. Especially when it's someone who has been warned about it before and should know better. Maybe it could have just sat here on it's own and not become political, there is always that possibility. However, I'm not going to take that chance and if I'm going to err then at least I have erred on the side of caution.

Trust me, I've been a mod since this board was founded and I know what I'm doing.

Y'all take care.

I do understand; I'm sure it must be tricky to monitor the gazillion posts and threads that come upon TRF. On whole, I say you all do a great job.

smile.gif

What was this thread about again? tongue.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Oct 21 2009, 12:41 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 21 2009, 11:57 AM)

Y'all take care.

I do understand; I'm sure it must be tricky to monitor the gazillion posts and threads that come upon TRF. On whole, I say you all do a great job.

smile.gif

What was this thread about again? tongue.gif

I do understand; I'm sure it must be tricky to monitor the gazillion posts and threads that come upon TRF.  On whole, I say you all do a great job.

Most kind! Thank you very much. It's people like you who motivate me to do the best job I can.

Sorry. Let me re-phrase:

Certain un-named groups have a problem with the themes Judy Blume has tackled in her Young Adult books - such as menstruation, questioning the religious beliefs of one's parents, pre-marital sex, and masturbation. These groups have fought to have Blume's books removed from school libraries.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 21 2009, 01:01 PM)
These groups have fought to have Blume's books removed from school libraries.

and public libraries.

Get your facts straight, young man! wink.gif tongue.gif

just teasin lol

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 21 2009, 01:01 PM)
Sorry. Let me re-phrase:

Certain un-named groups have a problem with the themes Judy Blume has tackled in her Young Adult books - such as menstruation, questioning the religious beliefs of one's parents, pre-marital sex, and masturbation. These groups have fought to have Blume's books removed from school libraries.

That's better, you should've done that in the first place.

Blume is pretty timid reading now, but it wasn't in the 70's.

The issue, I think, is that some parents say they want to explain these topics to their children on their own. But more often than not, they don't tell their kids anything, thinking that if they don't know about it, they won't do it - yeah, that'll work.

I don't have kids, so what do I know... unsure.gif

QUOTE (librarian @ Oct 21 2009, 03:19 PM)
The issue, I think, is that some parents say they want to explain these topics to their children on their own. But more often than not, they don't tell their kids anything, thinking that if they don't know about it, they won't do it

We have a winner! goodpost.gif

I don't mind books like this because they get kids thinking, and more importantly, asking questions. I want to be able to pour my life experiences and wisdom I gained from them into my children, and books like this actually make it easier to say "oh yeah, I need to talk to junior about that...."

Parents who isolate their kids from these kinds of books are NOT doing them a favor in dealing with the real world, I can tell you that.

Good response for the most part, Rush Cocky. Except for one thing:

If I'd had a question about masturbation, believe me, my parents would have been the LAST people I'd have asked!

And I was not happy at all when I got my period. 30 years later, it still pisses me off every month.

QUOTE (Mara @ Oct 21 2009, 08:45 PM)
Good response for the most part, Rush Cocky. Except for one thing:
If I'd had a question about masturbation, believe me, my parents would have been the LAST people I'd have asked!
And I was not happy at all when I got my period. 30 years later, it still pisses me off every month.

And that's all the more reason to allow kids to read these books, right? They can privately read about other teens dealing with the same things, without the embarrassment of talking to mom or dad. Sure, mom and dad will probably want to discuss these things with them, too... but the kids can get a start on the dialogue by reading about it on their own.

I agree that sweeping these issues under the rug and trying to keep your kids from knowing about them doesn't work, nor does an abstinence-only sex education. Teens need the whole story about what they'll find in the world.

A few years ago I was in the car with my brother (who is a year older 41) than me driving somewhere (can't remember) and he turned to me and said,

"You know, mom and dad didn't teach us anything about anything?"

and I said, "You're just figuring this out NOW?!?" laugh.gif

QUOTE (librarian @ Oct 22 2009, 02:38 PM)
A few years ago I was in the car with my brother (who is a year older 41) than me driving somewhere (can't remember) and he turned to me and said,

I didn't even know who my parents were...

QUOTE (librarian @ Oct 22 2009, 02:38 PM)

My parents didn't teach me anything about anything either. Mom tossed me a few books on reproduction when I was around 10 (by which point I already knew about sex, thanks to the fact that I rode the school bus every morning). That was it.

I remember in school 5th grade, the teacher sent the boys to the library so she could talk to the girls. unsure.gif

and vice versa

In 6th grade we saw movies with frogs and bugs - one kid had to go home because he actually turned green wacko.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

So pleasant was the onset of first menses, that my mother said to me,

"I angry.gif was angry.gif wondering angry.gif why angry.gif you angry.gif were angry.gif being angry.gif so angry.gif hateful!"

Very nice.

So kids, if you're out there and want to read judy blume - go right ahead, read it all.

bekloppt.gif