Does anyone here still use Dialup?

The Owl

Im just wondering how many TRF'ers still use a dialup internet connection.... I know TRF doesn't allow video embed, and restricts the amount of space that a sig can be because of people's internet connection....(plus a long sig is very annoying)

I'm not criticizing any of these rules or anything, but am wondering if anyone here still uses a dialup modem? I figured at least 95% of us are on DSL, or a Cabel Modem.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 12 2009, 11:33 PM)
strange as it is...... I actually miss the sounds the computer made when you were connecting to the net...

I'm sure you can find some samples online and listen over and over again to your heart's content. tongue.gif

As far as I know there are still SOME people out there with dial-up, but it's becoming an extreme minority. Aren't most ISP's dumping that as an option? This is all an educated guess though, and I'm sure someone with more direct information will know better...

At the company I work for we still have customers that dial-in to our database servers using old fashioned modem dial-ups at an alarming speed of 33.6 kbits per second!

It's kind of quaint to hear that familiar white-noise when it tries to make a connection.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 13 2009, 07:19 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 12 2009, 11:33 PM)
strange as it is...... I actually miss the sounds the computer made when you were connecting to the net...

I'm sure you can find some samples online and listen over and over again to your heart's content. tongue.gif

As far as I know there are still SOME people out there with dial-up, but it's becoming an extreme minority. Aren't most ISP's dumping that as an option? This is all an educated guess though, and I'm sure someone with more direct information will know better...

I did a quick search and this was the first article that popped up..from almost 3 years ago..

http://blog.tmcnet.com/wireless-mobility/m...connections.asp

Land lines are becoming obsolete. I just read that Verizon layed off a sizable amount of their work force because of this very problem.

QUOTE (Sonatine @ Oct 13 2009, 08:25 AM)
At the company I work for we still have customers that dial-in to our database servers using old fashioned modem dial-ups at an alarming speed of 33.6 kbits per second!

It's kind of quaint to hear that familiar white-noise when it tries to make a connection.

Do they do it by choice or do you not offer VPN or Citrix as another option?

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 13 2009, 07:33 AM)

I never want to hear those awful screeching noises again wacko.gif

I never did have dial-up; went straight to cable. But that's not because I live in a high-tech hotbed. Quite the reverse; I'm way behind the times tech-wise and only got a computer with internet capability in 2004. ph34r.gif

I am spoiled at work. We have a whole T-1 all to ourselves.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Oct 13 2009, 02:38 PM)
QUOTE (Sonatine @ Oct 13 2009, 08:25 AM)

Do they do it by choice or do you not offer VPN or Citrix as another option?

By choice: don't ask me why though.

We would love to offer them VPN, Citrix, even bog-standard SFTP. But nope, they wan't their dial-up. Although our local telecom provider might pull the plug (ha!) sooner or later, so it will be goodbye to the screeching and little red flashy lights laugh.gif

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif At my shop/work I have only "Dial Up"

Don't use it enough here to justify any extra cost's,

Plus we have been about to close this shop for a while now, just waiting for the hammer to fall.

This TRF site works fine with dial up, but about everything else sucks 062802puke_prv.gif

( using it to post this post..... )

My PC is trouble comp26.gif

But what's new about that !

QUOTE (Jaye @ Oct 13 2009, 10:24 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 13 2009, 07:33 AM)

I never want to hear those awful screeching noises again wacko.gif

Same here... and I thought I didnt have to ever again until the other day when I bought something with my debit card, and the store's credit card machine took like a hour to connect or something and it made those noises laugh.gif

i should have just used cash laugh.gif

http://www.yourdictionary.com/images/computer/_ACUPLER.GIF

I'm still old enough to remember those ancient accoustic couplers to connect modems from the late 70s early 80s.

Joy! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Oct 14 2009, 10:03 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 13 2009, 02:33 AM)

Yes, that is strangely nostalgic for me as well.

While I have no nostalgia for dialup noises, I do have a soft spot in my heart for my brother's Apple IIe from the mid-80's and video games on floppy discs, back when discs really were floppy and video games were much, much simpler than today - sigh...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 14 2009, 02:29 PM)
I do have a soft spot in my heart for my brother's Apple IIe from the mid-80's and video games on floppy discs, back when discs really were floppy and video games were much, much simpler than today - sigh...

I had that same Apple IIe, complete with a ton of great games. Later I upgraded to an Apple IIc, and both computers were awesome, but the latter one finally kicked the bucket in 1995.

However, I have many of those games that are compatible for my PC today. I'm playing one of them right now!

Archived