• Damnation
    • Ghost Reveries
    • Watershed

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 13 2011, 09:23 PM)
QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Apr 13 2011, 10:58 PM)
What album should I start with if I want a more atmospheric one? Been meaning to give Opeth a listen

Depends...

- Are you apprehensive about the growling vocals, but not entirely dismissive? If so go with "Watershed" or "Damnation"

If you are fully accepting of the growls and welcome it, I'd go with "Blackwater Park", probably their best overall, and Produced by Steven Wilson.

If you are entirely dismissive of growling vocals, then you'd still Try my first recommendation... I was at one point entirely dismissive of Opeth just because of the death growls, but I actually gave them a try ("Ghost Reveries" was the first album I tried out actually), and the music was so fantastic that I could have kicked my own ass for being so dismissive of this band for so long............. and eventually the growling vocals grew on me and I can actually enjoy them...

Plus Opening the door to Opeth opened the door to other bands with harsh vocals that I would have otherwise dismissed as well, groups like Mastodon and Between the Buried and Me.

goodpost.gif yes.gif yes.gif applaudit.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself.

So me and -Ender- listened to Watershed together, and I think he may jump on the Opeth bandwagon. I was starting to lose hope, but I think he likes it. smile.gif

cheer.gif cheer.gif

QUOTE (-Jane- @ May 23 2011, 12:16 AM)
So me and -Ender- listened to Watershed together, and I think he may jump on the Opeth bandwagon. I was starting to lose hope, but I think he likes it. smile.gif
cheer.gif cheer.gif

You finally wore me down. It only took you what, a year and a half?

tongue.gif

QUOTE (-Ender- @ May 22 2011, 11:23 PM)
QUOTE (-Jane- @ May 23 2011, 12:16 AM)
cheer.gif  cheer.gif

You finally wore me down. It only took you what, a year and a half?

tongue.gif

Um...... WHAT?????!!!!!??????

ohmy.gif wacko.gif ohmy.gif wacko.gif ohmy.gif wacko.gif ohmy.gif wacko.gif ohmy.gif wacko.gif

Damn, Jane. You're good. I believe I owe you a drank! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Welcome to "the dark side," Ender. eyesre4.gif

I can't think of a better Opeth CD to start with, imo. Especially for a noob to the death metal genre. As it's been mentioned, you'd really like Damnation, too. At any rate, this is SO COOL! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 26 2011, 07:54 PM)
I listened to Blackwater Park the other day for the first time and was impressed. I wasn't sure if I'd like the growls but they really worked. Can't wait to get more of their albums.

If I might make a suggestion, pick up Ghost Reveries. It's the first Opeth album I bought and I love it!! Alternatively, Still Life (an album that doesn't get as much attention as it deserves) is another great choice.

QUOTE (tjtull @ May 27 2011, 11:41 AM)
More info on Heritage HERE, including this gem:

"To promote the disc, Opeth will embark on a seven-week, headline tour of the U.S. Dates will be announced imminently."

Really looking forward to this, I hope we get a UK tour soon as well. Opeth are fast becoming my favourite band. Ten tracks, though. If each one is an average Opeth length that means it must be a triple-cd at least laugh.gif

QUOTE (willowroolz @ May 27 2011, 08:39 AM)

"To promote the disc, Opeth will embark on a seven-week, headline tour of the U.S. Dates will be announced imminently."

Really looking forward to this, I hope we get a UK tour soon as well. Opeth are fast becoming my favourite band. Ten tracks, though. If each one is an average Opeth length that means it must be a triple-cd at least laugh.gif

I hear ya! I'm thinking they may be shorter song lengths than normal. I expect something completely different, from everything that MA has said about it. I haven't been disappointed by an Opeth album yet, I expect this one to be amazing!!

QUOTE (The Owl @ May 27 2011, 09:55 AM)
It's a longer set of songs, so are we going to get any 10 minute + songs? Oh, well, really looking forward to this.

Even a prog genius doesn't always get what he wants...

wink.gif

QUOTE (tjtull @ May 27 2011, 02:04 PM)
QUOTE (willowroolz @ May 27 2011, 08:39 AM)

I hear ya! I'm thinking they may be shorter song lengths than normal. I expect something completely different, from everything that MA has said about it. I haven't been disappointed by an Opeth album yet, I expect this one to be amazing!!

Yeah, I hope so. Watershed certainly started to go in some interesting directions so I'm curious as to how this one'll move on.

I think I am more excited about this than Clockwork Angels...

bolt.gif

Well Tied.... this is technically my first "New" Opeth album, when I started listening to Opeth "Watershed" was already out.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 26 2011, 07:54 PM)
I listened to Blackwater Park the other day for the first time and was impressed. I wasn't sure if I'd like the growls but they really worked. Can't wait to get more of their albums.

The only band i've ever heard that makes growls actually badass and not silly.

And another thing... SW (while not producing like he did on BWP-Dam) did mix this album.... I think it would be cool if Wilson did another guest vocal on a track.

Artwork for "Heritage"

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/248860_10150260186353410_7496603409_9002103_5549670_n.jpg

Looks like the evil twin of a Gabriel era Genesis cover... but I like it.

Edited by The Owl

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 1 2011, 11:01 AM)
Artwork for "Heritage"

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/248860_10150260186353410_7496603409_9002103_5549670_n.jpg

Looks like the evil twin of a Gabriel era Genesis cover... but I like it.

Oh yeah very nice...

I'm ready for it already...

1022.gif

QUOTE (tjtull @ Jun 1 2011, 03:34 PM)
I didn't really like it when I first saw it but the more I look at it, the more I like it. \m/

It sort of reminds me of the artwork for Steve Vai's Fire Garden...