• Damnation
    • Ghost Reveries
    • Watershed

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Opeth's FB:

That's right! Opeth will start the recording of their 10th album on the 31st January 2011. The band has picked the legendary Atlantis studios (ex Metronome studios) in Stockholm and will once again work with Jens Bogren engineering. Mixing duties will be handled by Steven Wilson (Porcupine tree). Possible release worldwide in the fall of 2011, through Roadrunner Records.

SW mixing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will be outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (tjtull @ Dec 3 2010, 10:00 AM)
From Opeth's FB:

That's right! Opeth will start the recording of their 10th album on the 31st January 2011. The band has picked the legendary Atlantis studios (ex Metronome studios) in Stockholm and will once again work with Jens Bogren engineering. Mixing duties will be handled by Steven Wilson (Porcupine tree). Possible release worldwide in the Autumn of 2011, through Roadrunner Records.

SW mixing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It will be outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh crap, not that useless Tit. (That's SW not Jens)

Edited by Jean Simmons

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Mar 15 2011, 10:36 PM)
I need to check this band out, been procrastinating them for a while. Recommendations? I can get passed the growling vocals.

Almost anything , though I would start with their later albums first, their first 4 records are good, but when they were with Candlelight records, they were not of the best quality (Production Wise)

Blackwater Park, Deliverance, Damnation (their only fully clean vocal album) (All 3 produced by Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson)

Ghost Reveries, or Watershed

Edited by The Owl

I'd recommend either starting from the beginning with Orchid, or starting somewhere in the middle with Black Water Park, Deliverance or perhaps Ghost Reveries - if you like those, you'll like the rest.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Mar 15 2011, 10:36 PM)
I need to check this band out, been procrastinating them for a while. Recommendations? I can get passed the growling vocals.

If the growl doesn't bother you, go for Blackwater Park first. It's a masterpiece. I'd also recommend Still Life. It doesn't get a lot of mention but I love that album!! If you want a taste of their more recent stuff, get Ghost Reveries.

Opeth, and other, news from Steven Wilson's FB page:

A little update.....after last year was pretty much a year without any new music from me, I've been working very hard in the studio on various projects. Firstly, we finished mixing the incredible new Opeth album a few days ago, keep an eye on their website for details on that. Mikael and I also took the opportunity while he was here to finish writing our collaboration album - there's still a lot of recording work to do, but this should definitely be out in early 2012. The new SW solo record is still on track for September release, and I think the next two King Crimson remixes (Larks Tongues in Aspic and Starless and Bible Black) will be out around the same time. I'm now working on new stereo and 5.1 mixes of another very famous 70's progressive album for a deluxe reissue this year, can't say more about that just yet. Last but not least, over the last year I worked on and off on a new Bass Communion album called "Cenotaph", which is a kind of sequel to Ghosts on Magnetic Tape - news on when this will be released when I have it. I think that's enough for now! Off on tour with Blackfield soon. Best, S

QUOTE (tjtull @ Mar 24 2011, 08:15 AM)

A little update.....after last year was pretty much a year without any new music from me, I've been working very hard in the studio on various projects. Firstly, we finished mixing the incredible new Opeth album a few days ago, keep an eye on their website for details on that. Mikael and I also took the opportunity while he was here to finish writing our collaboration album - there's still a lot of recording work to do, but this should definitely be out in early 2012. The new SW solo record is still on track for September release, and I think the next two King Crimson remixes (Larks Tongues in Aspic and Starless and Bible Black) will be out around the same time. I'm now working on new stereo and 5.1 mixes of another very famous 70's progressive album for a deluxe reissue this year, can't say more about that just yet. Last but not least, over the last year I worked on and off on a new Bass Communion album called "Cenotaph", which is a kind of sequel to Ghosts on Magnetic Tape - news on when this will be released when I have it. I think that's enough for now! Off on tour with Blackfield soon. Best, S

That is GREAT news. Thanks for posting it, tj.

But... I'll be going insane wondering which "very famous 70's progressive album" he's re-mixing. I have some ideas, though.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Mar 24 2011, 08:50 AM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ Mar 24 2011, 08:15 AM)

That is GREAT news. Thanks for posting it, tj.

But... I'll be going insane wondering which "very famous 70's progressive album" he's re-mixing. I have some ideas, though.

I'm very curious as well. Can't wait to find out what it is. I've gotten all the KC remixes so far and plan to get the next two as well.

SW is a very busy guy. Good to hear he was involved in the Opeth project, they couldn't get a better guy to mix it.

Surprised that the Opeth album is that near completion! I have heard almost no updates on it from the Opeth site.... hopefully we'll have the album in no more than 2 months.

The Departure of Wiberg has me thinking, since he came into the band the keys have been more in the light on the last 2 Opeth albums, than on anything previously... Just listen to "Burden" and tell me I'm wrong... and Wieberg brought alot to the table, and I feel helped tremendously Opeth's sound.

Wieberg is replaceable, but I hope that Opeth can get someone of equal talent to come in as new keyboardist... What I would hate to see happen is that the sounds and dynamics that comes with having a keyboardist of that caliber fade out of Opeth's sound... because I feel that having Wieberg was tremendous progress for the Band, I would hate to see a regress in that sound..

But I have no doubt that Opeth has found a suitable keyboardist, Hell they were able to replace Peter, and make an album that is one of the best of their career, if not the best... (Watershed). I am not too worried about how this will effect the band.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Apr 13 2011, 10:58 PM)
What album should I start with if I want a more atmospheric one? Been meaning to give Opeth a listen

Depends...

- Are you apprehensive about the growling vocals, but not entirely dismissive? If so go with "Watershed" or "Damnation"

If you are fully accepting of the growls and welcome it, I'd go with "Blackwater Park", probably their best overall, and Produced by Steven Wilson.

If you are entirely dismissive of growling vocals, then you'd still Try my first recommendation... I was at one point entirely dismissive of Opeth just because of the death growls, but I actually gave them a try ("Ghost Reveries" was the first album I tried out actually), and the music was so fantastic that I could have kicked my own ass for being so dismissive of this band for so long............. and eventually the growling vocals grew on me and I can actually enjoy them...

Plus Opening the door to Opeth opened the door to other bands with harsh vocals that I would have otherwise dismissed as well, groups like Mastodon and Between the Buried and Me.