Have You Ever Seen A Rush Tribute Band?

tangy

Well who amongst us has actually seen a rush tribute band?

please spare us all the lame attempt at humor by saying dream theater.

I for one have never seen one but really I never had to the chance to do so. I do know there several rush cover groups out there.

Have you seen a rush tribute band, who were they and were they good?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen two of them. Neither one of them was very good, but It was still fun getting drunk at the bar while watching them. laugh.gif

I saw one many years ago called Visions. This was back when Presto was the newest Rush album. They were alright, but suffered from what I can't abide in a tribute band: an almost sickening desire to look like, and copy the mannerisms of, the source band! Really dude, you're not Geddy Lee and we're not going to 'forget' that you're not. (Incidentally, I think there was later another Rush tribute band with the same name but different members.)

I also saw three (or was it only two?) Rush tribute bands at the first North American RushCon. The first was Rosho, which despite being Brazilian sounded very much like Rush. I forget the name of the last band (second or third?); at the time, they were based in Ohio but were planning to relocate. They didn't sound as similar to Rush as Rosho did, but they had a much better and much bigger setlist, including gems we never get to hear the real Rush play... stuff like "No One at the Bridge," all of "Hemispheres," and "Totem." Sean, their bass player/vocalist/keyboardist, ended up joining the Rush board I was on at the time (Tri-Net).

I have seen two of them. Neither one of them was very good, but It was still fun getting drunk at the bar while watching them.

That's the thing. It's not Rush, so you can't hold high expectations. Just enjoy those songs you love... and have a drink!

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 18 2009, 01:17 PM)
Well who amongst us has actually seen a rush tribute band?

please spare us all the lame attempt at humor by saying dream theater.

I for one have never seen one but really I never had to the chance to do so. I do know there several rush cover groups out there.

Have you seen a rush tribute band, who were they and were they good?

I have. I never cringed so much in my life. I've heard two others, again cringing. I didn't not cringe at DT....Although, they played the instrumental parts.

The answer is yes. I have seen two Rush tribute bands. The first one I saw spoiled me for all others, but the second one I saw was also very good.

Check this out.

Power Windows Tribute Band snippits

To see them play is the key. They have so much fun on-stage, are very energetic and interact with the crowd, and individually they are VERY talented musicians who play the shit out of these songs. They make it look easy.

This past February I went to see them with a very critical friend of mine who's a hard guy to please. He was blown away.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 18 2009, 01:19 PM)
Never have.  I don't think there are too many.
Edited by LakesideMaiden

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 18 2009, 12:40 PM)
Well gee Tangy, don't I feel like a horse's patoot.

Appreciate it.

well i knew there are several but had no idea there are that many. don't seem to be many in the south-east though.

i am pretty sure some current members of this forum play in rush tribute bands.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 18 2009, 01:53 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 18 2009, 01:51 PM)
don't seem to be many in the south-east though.

Thanks for helping me save face. laugh.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 18 2009, 01:25 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 18 2009, 12:19 PM)

Jacob's Ladder Raleigh, NC

tongue.gif heehee

I've seen two:

Toronto Airport at a Rushcon

and

Trilogy

One of the members of Trilogy is a mod here at TRF. They are very good and put on a great show. They play lots of hte more obscure stuff. (and the drummer has Neils PW/MP era set)

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Aug 18 2009, 02:17 PM)

tongue.gif heehee

scared.gif

Actually, Raleigh is not within 200 miles of either Tangy or I, so there!

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 18 2009, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Aug 18 2009, 02:17 PM)

tongue.gif heehee

scared.gif

Actually, Raleigh is not within 200 miles of either Tangy or I, so there!

I was just poking fun, cause wouldn't Raleigh be considered to be part of the south-east? Same with Florida - there's a couple there too LOL

I know what you mean tho - and just for my own input - the couple of tribute bands that I HAVE seen have sucked big time. I'm patiently awaiting my brother and friend Jeff to finish putting together their tribute band - that one'll be wicked 1022.gif

Edited by LakesideMaiden

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Aug 18 2009, 02:49 PM)
I was just poking fun, cause wouldn't Raleigh be considered to be part of the south-east? Same with Florida - there's a couple there too LOL

I know you're poking fun.

Well, well......saying that Florida is part of the Southeast is akin to saying that Maine is a part of Massachusetts.

Just because it isn't far away, doesn't mean that it isn't culturally very, very different.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 18 2009, 03:10 PM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Aug 18 2009, 02:49 PM)
I was just poking fun, cause wouldn't Raleigh be considered to be part of the south-east?  Same with Florida - there's a couple there too LOL

I know you're poking fun.

Well, well......saying that Florida is part of the Southeast is akin to saying that Maine is a part of Massachusetts.

Just because it isn't far away, doesn't mean that it isn't culturally very, very different.

laugh.gif http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeastern_United_States

regionally speaking, not culturally lol

I've never seen a Rush tribute band but I'd really like to. I wonder if Dream Theater is touring? I'M KIDDING! I'M KIDDING! Nobody get upset, please! laugh.gif

I truly would like to see a Rush tribute band. Back in the eighties, there was a Pink Floyd tribute band called Clear Light. I saw them three times and they were fantastic.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 18 2009, 03:56 PM)
Back in the eighties, there was a Pink Floyd tribute band called Clear Light. I saw them three times and they were fantastic.

A friend here at work is part of a Floyd tribute band called "Floydian Slip" that I really want to see.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 18 2009, 03:44 PM)
Oh Wikipedia, why didn't you say so!

They always get it right. laugh.gif

laugh.gif lmao...

Oh, just google "map of the southeastern us" and you'll see you're all part of the region tongue.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 18 2009, 03:56 PM)
I truly would like to see a Rush tribute band. Back in the eighties, there was a Pink Floyd tribute band called Clear Light. I saw them three times and they were fantastic.

After much searching I have found one....no idea if they're any good though...

http://charleston.craigslist.org/muc/1324453671.html

"LIMELIGHT", a TRUE 3-Piece RUSH TRIBUTE BAND will be performing at WET WILLIE'S on EAST BAY STREET, tonight! 10:00PM.
Do not miss an opportunity to hear such classics as TOM SAWYER, LIMELIGHT, SUBDIVISONS and XANADU!
Incredible Light Show, 3 full sets, and only a $3.00 cover!

Wet Willie's has THE best Frozen Drinks, in a PERFECT SETTING! Come to Wet Willie's for LIMELIGHT!

*edited to add that they already performed on August 15th LOL*

and they have a myspace page without their own music too:

http://www.myspace.com/limelightcharleston

Edited by LakesideMaiden