Overlooked Iron Maiden song....

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 20 2012, 11:08 AM)
Mother Russia from an absolute shit album

Love Mother Russia. For me there are a few good songs on that record. Tailgunner and the title track I love as well. For me nothing beats Afraid To Shoot Strangers for under-rated tracks.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes.gif That album was the beginning of the end for me. That is until Bruce and Adrian returned. If only that fukking jerk off Gers would leave or get fired already we'd have the classic lineup. angry.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Apr 21 2012, 12:15 AM)

yes.gif That album was the beginning of the end for me. That is until Bruce and Adrian returned. If only that fukking jerk off Gers would leave or get fired already we'd have the classic lineup. angry.gif

Technically we do have the classic lineup since Dave and Adrian do the same guitar work they've always done together even with Gers there. I think another reason Janick is still there is because he does move around the stage while Dave and Adrian reamin pretty stationary during the shows. But Bruce and Steve do enough running around the stage anyways so they don't need Janick for that either.

I would like the add Only The Good Die Young to the group of overlooked songs. Not sure why that one was never played live confused13.gif

Man, I don't get all of the dissent over NPFTD. Of course its inferior to SSOASS, especially as a follow-up album. But at that point they needed to go in another direction. I think its Maiden's most under-rated album, and far better than FOTD.

It's not absolute shit to me (see Bayley's albums...those apply), but I agree, it's the gem of the lot. I've actually grown to like Holy Smoke a bunch. I love digs at fundamental Christians anyhow, so I'm amused by it.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 21 2012, 12:10 PM)

It's not absolute shit to me (see Bayley's albums...those apply), but I agree, it's the gem of the lot. I've actually grown to like Holy Smoke a bunch. I love digs at fundamental Christians anyhow, so I'm amused by it.

I've always had a soft spot for Holy Smoke. A fun track.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 21 2012, 05:59 AM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Apr 21 2012, 12:15 AM)

Technically we do have the classic lineup since Dave and Adrian do the same guitar work they've always done together even with Gers there. I think another reason Janick is still there is because he does move around the stage while Dave and Adrian reamin pretty stationary during the shows. But Bruce and Steve do enough running around the stage anyways so they don't need Janick for that either.

I would like the add Only The Good Die Young to the group of overlooked songs. Not sure why that one was never played live confused13.gif

Can't agree here. It's not the classic lineup as long as that douche Gers is there. no.gif

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Apr 20 2012, 08:46 AM)
I can honestly say that, from the first seven albums, there's not a single track that I don't love.

Me too. Still Life and Prisoner were favorites of mine when I was a kid...still are. Up the Irons!

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Apr 22 2012, 01:30 AM)
I can honestly say that, from the first seven albums, there's not a single track that I don't love.

Me too. Still Life and Prisoner were favorites of mine when I was a kid...still are. Up the Irons!

trink39.gif

Hopefully those two will be on the next tour, because they were both played on Maiden England

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Apr 22 2012, 06:52 AM)

trink39.gif

Hopefully those two will be on the next tour, because they were both played on Maiden England

I think The Prisoner will be played on this tour. I'm not so sure about Still Life though. I just got a feeling they won't do it but that's probably because I really wanna hear it.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 22 2012, 02:46 PM)

trink39.gif

I think The Prisoner will be played on this tour. I'm not so sure about Still Life though. I just got a feeling they won't do it but that's probably because I really wanna hear it.

And yet Fear of the Dark will doubtless still be in there eyesre4.gif

Here are my picks:

Transylvania - Iron Maiden

Murders in the Rue Morgue - Killers

Innocent Exile - Killers

Sun and Steel - Piece of Mind

Back in the Village - Powerslave

Sea of Madness - Somewhere in Time

Heaven Can Wait - Somewhere in Time

Infinite Dreams - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

The Prophecy - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Mother Russia - No Prayer for the Dying

The Mercenary - Brave New World

The Nomad - Brave New World

Age of Innocence - Dance of Death

Out of the Shadows - A Matter of Life and Death

These Colours Don't Run - A Matter of Life and Death

For the Greater Good of God - A Matter of Life and Death

The Man Who Would Be King - The Final Frontier

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Apr 22 2012, 12:51 PM)

trink39.gif

On That Metal Show last night, Adrian referenced a couple of songs that are always in the setlist such as "Hallowed and Fear of the Dark." Sounds to me like it will be in the upcoming set as well if it has acheived that status.

I hope they play the Prisoner. As was noted above, it was in the original Maiden England set and it's one of my favorite overlooked Iron Maiden songs.

trink39.gif

Fear Of The Dark has earned it's spot as a setlist staple because of the crowd participation in it. Still, if they can completely ignore doing anything of POM, PS, SIT and SSOASS like they did on the 2010 tour then FOTD can certainly get dropped for at least one tour.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 22 2012, 09:24 PM)

trink39.gif

Fear Of The Dark has earned it's spot as a setlist staple because of the crowd participation in it. Still, if they can completely ignore doing anything of POM, PS, SIT and SSOASS like they did on the 2010 tour then FOTD can certainly get dropped for at least one tour.

But, we all know it probably won't. angry.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 23 2012, 12:28 AM)
Afraid To Shoot Strangers blows Fear Of The Dark away. Anybody like the song The Apparition? I used to love that song.

Afraid To Shoot Strangers and Judas Be My Guide are pretty good, and I actually USED TO like the title track- other than those ones the alum fukking sucks! Weekend Warrior is one of the worst songs ever- it sounds like a poor man's AC/DC riff. 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Apr 23 2012, 01:17 AM)
Afraid To Shoot Strangers blows Fear Of The Dark away. Anybody like the song The Apparition? I used to love that song.

Afraid To Shoot Strangers and Judas Be My Guide are pretty good, and I actually USED TO like the title track- other than those ones the alum fukking sucks! Weekend Warrior is one of the worst songs ever- it sounds like a poor man's AC/DC riff. 062802puke_prv.gif

I agree it's very hit and miss. I will stand by the Apparition and I used to like The Fugitive as well. tongue.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 23 2012, 01:31 AM)

I agree it's very hit and miss. I will stand by the Apparition and I used to like The Fugitive as well. tongue.gif

Fair enough. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Apr 23 2012, 01:34 AM)

Fair enough. trink39.gif

Still haven't heard Final Frontier. What is your personal opinion of it?

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 23 2012, 01:41 AM)

Fair enough. trink39.gif

I was a little let down at first listen, but after a few more it began to sink in and I think it's a damn good album. Much better than Dance of Death- but I still consider AMOLAD the best of the "modern" Maiden albums, with TFF right behind it. You should pick it up asap. 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Apr 23 2012, 01:46 AM)

Fair enough. trink39.gif

I was a little let down at first listen, but after a few more it began to sink in and I think it's a damn good album. Much better than Dance of Death- but I still consider AMOLAD the best of the "modern" Maiden albums, with TFF right behind it. You should pick it up asap. 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

You like AMOLAD better than Brave New World? I like Brave New World a little better.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 23 2012, 01:50 AM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Apr 23 2012, 01:46 AM)

Fair enough. trink39.gif

You like AMOLAD better than Brave New World? I like Brave New World a little better.

I know, I'm in the minority with that album. BNW has some great tunes on it, but AMOLAD is just a better album to me. I think I was one of the few old school fans who wasn't pissed off they played the whole thing on that tour. Still hoping a dvd will eventually be released from that one. tongue.gif