Who sings that?

MCM

Sometimes I like to listen to regular top 40 radio, just for giggles, see what the rest of the world is listening to. I'm listening to the Pittsburgh version of "Bob FM" yesterday and I hear this song.. hmmm that sounds like Duran Duran.. then I remember that my car radio has that thing that labels the song as it's playing on the radio. This song that I thought was Duran Duran, was - wait for it - Coldplay!?!? Not being a fan of either I wondered does all Coldplay sound like Duran Duran? ohmy.gif

So, Name a song that you've heard and thought was one band only to find out later was actually a completely different band.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 24 2009, 08:54 PM)
Back in high school a lot of people I knew thought Simple Minds' "Don't You (Forget About Me)" was Billy Idol.

Now that you mention it, I can hear how the vocalists sound a little bit alike.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 25 2009, 10:52 AM)
Back in high school a lot of people I knew thought Simple Minds' "Don't You (Forget About Me)" was Billy Idol.

the song WAS originally written for him

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 25 2009, 10:50 AM)
I always thought the song, 'Long Cool Woman (In a Black Dress)' was sung by CCR, not the Hollies.

Yep, same here.

There was an early Coldplay song that I heard that sounded a lot like U2, but I don't know the nae of it.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 24 2009, 08:52 PM)

Billy Idol actually covered the tune, I believe for a movie. Don't remember what movie though...

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 25 2009, 10:50 AM)
I always thought the song, 'Long Cool Woman (In a Black Dress)' was sung by CCR, not the Hollies.

yes.gif

Back in 1981 I heard Tom Sawyer for one of the first times and asked my friend who it was.

He said, "I don't know....I think it's The Cars"..... doh.gif

The first time I heard Dire Straits' Telegraph Road I thought it was Pink Floyd.

Edited because I had the song title confused with the album title.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 27 2009, 08:54 PM)
A friend of mine has always thought I was an idiot for this but I thought Candlebox "Far Behind" was Alice in Chains.

Speaking of Alice In Chains, I used to think "River Of Deceit"...which got a LOT of radio airplay in my area.....was an AIC song. I searched FOREVER for that thing, and could never find it. And then I discovered it was done by a group called Mad Season, a grunge supergroup, who were all recovering drug addicts.

Archived