The Professor's Drums

MainDrag

Right off the bat, I'm a newbie on this forum, as you can see. I am not using this as a mercantile opportunity, I promise, but I really thought that you all would be interested in this photo. My store is putting this kit up for auction on ebay next week, and yes, it really is his old kit.

I hope that you enjoy the photo as much as I've enjoyed having them around for the last six months!

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/J84466/TJH_2203.jpg

Ok all you afficianados out there...how about the provenance on these babies?

From my drummer's perspective, they look legit. at least ear-correct.

To main drag the OP - any documents to support the claim these are original?

I would think maybe NP would even want these himself. I would love to have one of my old kits back. Then again, he sold the red weapon kit....

Looks legit to me. Although the bass heads have probaly been replaced and a while back with non-originals.

Slingerland kit, right sizes and colours and era. See here:

http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/neil_images/1975kit.JPG

it's not legit at all. come on guy. i know the person who has the drums. well through a friend and those are not the ones. they are not at your store home boy. please. so easy to replicate drums anyhow.

QUOTE (MainDrag @ Jul 24 2009, 02:14 PM)
The heads, with the exception of the 10x14, are all-original and in the same tuning as the set was received.

As far as I know, none of Neil's kits until 1996 (when he switched to DW) ever had a 10x14 tom. It was always 8x12, 9x13 and 10x15.

Also, Neil used a Rogers swivelmatic tom holder on the stage left tom holder because he could get it closer to the 9x13. I think the floor tom was an 16x18. I know it was on the black Slingerland kit used on A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres.

I am not saying these are not the original, but that they could have been altered.

I think Neil might have used a Rogers kit on Fly By Night.

dunno, looks like a rail mount on the left hand side BD tom. It looks legit to me, but the MD articles and letter would seal the deal...

I dunno, I have studied this image and it looks legit...

full size image here:

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/wallpaper/AWScov.jpg

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/wallpaper/AWScov.jpg

Edited by djb

Look. This is Neil's old kit, guys. Read the posted story. There was a contest in Modern Drummer in 1987 that Neil judged. It was a best drum solo contest. Look it up. There were 4 winners who all got Neil prizes, 3 of whom got old Neil kits, and one got a bunch of cymbals. This is all reported in Modern Drummer, clear as day. Or in Neil's own words, just search www.2112.net for Peart drum giveaway results.

The guy that won this one held on to it and never touched it except as noted. Another winner from the same contest won his red Tamas and spent a fortune beautifully restoring them; you can find his story and photos on the internet as well. This kit was left alone. The winner took delivery of them along with one cymbal stand and a letter written by Neil awarding them to the winner and a review of the solo he submitted. And for the record, the toms are 9x13, 9x13, 10x14, 16x16. And the 9x13 mounted on the stage left bass drum is mounted with a Ludwig Rail Consolette mount. There are no other holes in the drum from as swivomatic or anything else. Just grab your All the World's a Stage copy and study the pic, it's all there.

Sorry to all of who don't think that they're real.......just grab a back issue of Modern Drummer and check it out. Unless you choose to be skeptical of Modern Drummer.....whatever, your call. And yes, Pagon, the drums are at our store and unless your friend's name is Mark, he doesn't own that set. If you or anyone that you trust are anywhere near our store in Brooklyn, NY, or anyone else for that matter, please c'mon by and check them out! Take your picture with them for all I care! I don't mean to be flip about this, but these drums are as real as it gets.

At first was sceptical. I have followed very closely the whereabouts of Neil's kits that are "out there". Some of you know that I have owned a number of used by Neil items. The other Slingerland kit mentioned above was probably the brown wood kit that a forum member's drummer owns? This kit was the third prize. Here is the original prize list from the Modern Drummer contest rules:

First Prize - One Candy Apple Red Tama kit (the prototype Artstar shells), with two 24" bass drums, 6", 8", 10", and 12" concert toms, and 12", 13", 15", and 18" toms. All the drums have brass-plated hardware. There is also the "satellite" kit consisting of an 18" bass drum, four matching red Simmons pads, and a Simmons SDS 5 module. Oh all right, I'll throw in a 13" wood-shell timbale and a 22" gong bass drum, too. (This setup was used in the recording of Power Windows, Grace Under Pressure, and Signals, as well as the subsequent tours.)

Second Prize - One Black Chrome Slingerland kit, with two 24" bass drums, 6", 8", 10", and 12" concert toms, 12", 13", 15", and 18" toms, and a pair of 13" and 14" brass timbales. (This kit was used in the recording of A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres, and the endless tours which followed them!)

Third Prize - One Chrome Slingerland kit, with two 22" bass drums, 6", 8", 10", and 12" concert toms (copper finish), two 13" toms, one 14" tom, a 16" floor tom, and a chrome timbale. (Used in the recording of Fly By Night, Caress Of Steel, 2112 , All The World's A Stage, and on those equally endless tours.)

I know where kit #1 and kit #2 are. This is the first I have heard of kit #3. If this is real, I am speechless. Indeed, the winner of kit 3 was a guy named Mark from NYC. The other two kits have been through several hands over the years. I figured this one must still be with the original owner as it hadn't surfaced all these years.

I will be watching this with great interest.

Good research there, Syrinx. It is number 3. The guy that won it is a jazz player and basically just took them in and set them aside for the last 22 years and never played them. He's the one responsible for the replacement of the heads on the 10x14, but other than that they remain untouched. I am grateful to see someone here who doesn't flatly question their legitimacy.

The owner who preferred to keep his name out of this has consigned this set to our store, Main Drag Music. We have been planning an ebay auction though it now may go to Sotheby's. Wherever it ends up, I will keep this forum posted.

And as I said, anyone that would like to see them and is in the NY area is welcome to stop by; they'll be here until they go to Sotheby's or are won on ebay.

It sounds legit...but I don't know shit.

QUOTE (Prince Sphinc-Tor @ Jul 27 2009, 09:11 PM)

You can rhyme, though! wink.gif

This looks legit, maybe Michael from NPdrumsticks can help clear things up-

Looks legit to me though even though I know nothing about this subject...I will be watching too very cool

I've contacted someone who would know ... he said yes, to the best of appearance in the photos that is the legit kit given to Mark of NYC in the Modern Drummer contest.

I'm working on getting the torn head story too.

Main Drag ... I would love to see some more photos of the kit from the seat view. Couple of close-ups of the bass heads would be really cool too.

RUSH On!

-Michael

QUOTE (PeartDrumsticks @ Jul 27 2009, 09:23 PM)
I've contacted someone who would know ... he said yes, to the best of appearance in the photos that is the legit kit given to Mark of NYC in the Modern Drummer contest.

I'm working on getting the torn head story too.

Main Drag ... I would love to see some more photos of the kit from the seat view. Couple of close-ups of the bass heads would be really cool too.

RUSH On!
-Michael

Hey Michael!

What's up buddy?

Got the sticks! wink.gif

If anyone would know these drums are the real deal it would be you or someone you know.

I back Michael 2112% on this statement! Now I might have to bid on them.

Timing is everything. I am listening to "Caress Of Steel" right now!

"I Think I'm Going Bald" I mean "I Think I'm Going Broke!"

Sincerely,

RUSH CLUB FOR MEN

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 27 2009, 09:15 PM)
QUOTE (Prince Sphinc-Tor @ Jul 27 2009, 09:11 PM)

You can rhyme, though! wink.gif

I worked on that for months.

It's clear that this is the real deal, I remember speaking to the MD contest winner (Mark?) back in 1988 or so when he first tried to sell this kit (for a mere $5000!). It matches his description, copper concert toms and all.

MainDrag - What are the chances of you making a quick recording of the pitches of the toms before you sell this baby? This is a rare (and perhaps the last) opportunity to make a record of this vital historical information for Peart geeks. wink.gif

Here's a pic of the #2 kit from the giveaway, restored very closely to its original configuration.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu117/Bawoo/Peart/cygnus_x-1.jpg