Lifeson 80/90's solo battle #3

presto123

Between The Wheels or Cut To Chase  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Between The Wheels or Cut To Chase

• Between The Wheels
    • Cut To The Chase

Here is battle no 3. Congrats to Analog Kid for winning that last round. Now comes the mighty BTW. Cut To The Chase is a great solo but nothing beats BTW in my book. In fact I think BTW should be the champion. But enough about my thoughts. Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Your thoughts on this battle?

BTW.

CTTC is good, but as mentioned before BTW is one of AlexFinal.gif best, and have ALWAYS loved it since I first heard it when the song was released as a single.

This for me is even easier than the last poll - Between The Wheels by a mile. 2.gif

As far as solos go, for me, Grace Under Pressure is the career highlight for Alex, just chock-a-block with blinders: Distant Early Warning, Afterimage, Red Sector A, Body Electric, even the unloved Kid Gloves has a killer solo. Really, every[/] solo on this album is great.

BTW by a country mile; emotional, melodic and inventive.

Disco

PS Loving this competition, it's getting me to go and have a listen to tracks I haven't heard in ages....

Thanks Disco. Maybe I should have just went with Alex's best 8 solos but instead I picked one from each record. Thus you have easy wins like this one because BTW is a #1 seed. I picked Marathon(which just lost) from Power Windows but I've always thought the solo from Emotion Detector is just as good. Anybody think the Emotion Detector solo is the best off of Power Windows?

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jul 19 2009, 10:14 PM)
Thanks Disco. Maybe I should have just went with Alex's best 8 solos but instead I picked one from each record. Thus you have easy wins like this one because BTW is a #1 seed. I picked Marathon(which just lost) from Power Windows but I've always thought the solo from Emotion Detector is just as good. Anybody think the Emotion Detector solo is the best off of Power Windows?

For me the best solo on Power Windows is Big Money. Emotion Detector is a lush solo, but suffers from being in (IMHO) the least good song on Power Windows and so doesn't really get recognised as much as it would otherwise (similarly Body Electric - sweet solo in a not so sweet song).

I hadn't actually heard Marathon for a whole bunch of time but went back to listen to it as a result of it appearing in your competition and properly appreciated the solo for perhaps the first time. I also gave Power Windows a 'start to finish' listen to day for the first time in over a decade. What a sensational album! Thanks!!

Love to all

Disco

"Cut To The Chase" for me. Aside from "Afterimage", there is nothing about Grace Under Pressure that I like. It's probably the one Rush album that gets little to no airplay.

I have to give both a re-listen before I can vote.

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Jul 19 2009, 05:17 AM)
Between The Wheels wins this one easily. Definitely one of his very best.

yes.gif

Archived