Ed McMahon dies at 86

Tom Sawyer

rose.gif An American icon, for certain. Now the REAL "Tonight Show" team is complete, and no doubt providing entertainment in the afterlife!

Rest in peace, sir. We'll miss you.

HI OOOOOOOOO !

R.I.P. Ed. rose.gif

Never did get that million dollars. biggrin.gif

You know, there are a lot of people, places, and things, that I associate with my childhood that are really beginning to disappear. Ed dying is another one of those things. I never watched the tonight show THAT regularly back then, but even if you didn't, you knew who he was. "You may have just one $10 million" from publisher's clearing house along with a ton of other commercials. I guess it's just my own realization that, now that I'm over 40, I'm slowly becoming the "past generation" or however you want to term it. Not that I'm dead yet....just the "changing of the guard" is becoming much more prevalent with each passing person, place or thing.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 23 2009, 09:22 AM)
You know, there are a lot of people, places, and things, that I associate with my childhood that are really beginning to disappear. Ed dying is another one of those things. I never watched the tonight show THAT regularly back then, but even if you didn't, you knew who he was. "You may have just one $10 million" from publisher's clearing house along with a ton of other commercials. I guess it's just my own realization that, now that I'm over 40, I'm slowly becoming the "past generation" or however you want to term it. Not that I'm dead yet....just the "changing of the guard" is becoming much more prevalent with each passing person, place or thing.

Ed McMahon's Budweiser commercials were a large part of my youth as they usually aired during sports programs which I loved watching with my Dad. Here's one of my favorites: King of the beer frame.

Here's another:

For me, he'll be the Star Search host from the 80's. That was a great show (for kids I suppose).

He had a rough go of it the last couple of years. He deserved better.

I'll miss that hearty guffaw of a laugh.

RIP

I'm gonna have to pull out this gem again, it's been a few years since i watched it...

http://i42.tinypic.com/4vn6m9.jpg

My favorite part is 1982 NBC special "Johnny Goes Home,"

If you would like to buy this DVD collection it's at Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Johnny-Cars...2/dp/B000068WS7

One of the funniest moments of these two.. "The Alpo Commercial when Johnny bails Ed out of a jam.

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Alex @ Jun 23 2009, 09:42 AM)
86? Thats a decent age today, lets all be glad he enjoyed a nice life smile.gif

RIP rose.gif

We should all be so lucky.

See ya around Ed.

That's too bad.

R.I.P.

Guess I'll never get that check....

QUOTE (Tom Sawyer @ Jun 23 2009, 03:44 PM)
I'm gonna have to pull out this gem again, it's been a few years since i watched it...

http://i42.tinypic.com/4vn6m9.jpg

My favorite part is 1982 NBC special "Johnny Goes Home,"

If you would like to buy this DVD collection it's at Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Johnny-Cars...2/dp/B000068WS7

One of the funniest moments of these two.. "The Alpo Commercial when Johnny bails Ed out of a jam.

z7shysterical.gif

They were just so awesome together werent they?

I remember as a kid watching Tonight and then eventually got into Letterman. Johnny and Ed were perfect together and i just may have to pick up this collection.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 23 2009, 10:52 AM)
You know, there are a lot of people, places, and things, that I associate with my childhood that are really beginning to disappear.  Ed dying is another one of those things.  I never watched the tonight show THAT regularly back then, but even if you didn't, you knew who he was.  "You may have just one $10 million" from publisher's clearing house along with a ton of other commercials.  I guess it's just my own realization that, now that I'm over 40, I'm slowly becoming the "past generation" or however you want to term it.  Not that I'm dead yet....just the "changing of the guard" is becoming much more prevalent with each passing person, place or thing.

Ed McMahon's Budweiser commercials were a large part of my youth as they usually aired during sports programs which I loved watching with my Dad. Here's one of my favorites: King of the beer frame.

Here's another:

wow you are an old man Jack Aubrey!!! yes.gif wink.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

I was alive at the time but very very young. Weird thing is I remember the Mikey Life Cereal commercial that first aired in 72, but I don't remember that Ed McMahon bowling beer commercial from 73. Bud is my favorite beer to top it off laugh.gif

Edited by Modest Man From Mandrake

QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Jul 6 2009, 01:13 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 23 2009, 10:52 AM)
You know, there are a lot of people, places, and things, that I associate with my childhood that are really beginning to disappear.  Ed dying is another one of those things.  I never watched the tonight show THAT regularly back then, but even if you didn't, you knew who he was.  "You may have just one $10 million" from publisher's clearing house along with a ton of other commercials.  I guess it's just my own realization that, now that I'm over 40, I'm slowly becoming the "past generation" or however you want to term it.  Not that I'm dead yet....just the "changing of the guard" is becoming much more prevalent with each passing person, place or thing.

Here's another:

wow you are an old man Jack Aubrey!!! yes.gif wink.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

I was alive at the time but very very young. Weird thing is I remember the Mikey Life Cereal commercial that first aired in 72, but I don't remember that Ed McMahon bowling beer commercial from 73. Bud is my favorite beer to top it off laugh.gif

I remember the Mikey Life ads! As well as all of the urban myths that cropped up about the kid who played Mikey.

Someone told me Ed only got a couple of column inches in People last week, because of YouKnowWho. eh.gif