• Jammin' In New York
    • Back In Town
    • You Are All Diseased
    • Complaints and Grievances
    • Carlin On Comedy
    • More Napalm & Silly Putty
    • Life Is Worth Losing
    • It's Bad for You

Okay.... This isn't really a poll suited for video vertigo.... I am talking the albums of GC, not the HBO specials (though some are the same thing, espically in his later few albums)... and I do not think it would get much attention in Random Samples.... nor do I think it fits in there... so I am putting it here......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what is it?... I admit I own only a handful of these albums, and I am more familiar with the HBO specials than the actual CD versions... I am not too familiar with the differences......

But from the CD versions I do have I have to select the classic "Class Clown"... with "You are All Diseased" at a close second.

Damn, Owl... this is a hard one. I am a total Carlin fan. Can't decide. I still miss him.

I kinda divide it into two eras, though. Somewhere in the late '70's, he started breaking from the mellow hippie-ish vibe he had earlier and got harder. I guess I like his more sarcastic later vibe. It fits with the way the human race is conducting itself lately, especially here in the USA. Sharp, incisive viewpoint. We need another Carlin.

I voted for Its Bad For You because its the latest thing I have from him. He left still on top of his game.

I used to have a couple of the older ones and I thought they were great - can't remember titles though. I'd love to get some of his older albums, or even a nice compilation of some of his best routines.

Recently my wife and I saw an HBO special from a few years ago. He was around 70 or so. It started off hilarious, but after five minutes it got so dark and nihilistic and offensive and generally UN-funny that we ended up turning it off. Was he always so horribly cynical, or was that only in his later years?

I've loved a lot of his comedy and acting over the years, but this one performance was a major bummer...

Absolutely brilliant. One of the funniest most insightful comedy minds of all-time...until he turned into a bitter old man. sad.gif

I own the Classic Gold compilation CD with FM & AM, Class Clown and Occupation: Foole. That's my favorite.

The only one I've seen is It's Bad For Ya, and it was great. I need to get that on CD.

I have seen the great carlin live - many times! awesome!

I voted for jammin in new york, thats his classic really. One of his best. You are all diseased is a CLOSE second.

rich ***t, don't wanna eat...............................................F8ck her!

1022.gif

His albums were before my time. But I have everyone of his HBO specials. My absolute favorite comedian ever! I got a chance to see him in Baltimore in '08. I miss him and I would love to hear his take on the current status of the US.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 2 2009, 09:21 AM)
Absolutely brilliant. One of the funniest most insightful comedy minds of all-time...until he turned into a bitter old man. sad.gif

yes.gif It was a little sad to see him turn into that. sad.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 2 2009, 11:25 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 2 2009, 09:21 AM)
Absolutely brilliant.  One of the funniest most insightful comedy minds of all-time...until he turned into a bitter old man.  sad.gif

yes.gif It was a little sad to see him turn into that. sad.gif

A-HA! I'm glad my wife and I were the only one who were puzzled by his more recent special where he was so dark and cynical and negative - it wasn't the George Carlin we remembered. no.gif

quite the opposite for me, I LOVED carlin with age. Pissing into the mainstream with his brilliant cynicism. The older, darker, more pissed off carlin was awesome. - 1022.gif

QUOTE (rotting @ Jun 3 2009, 12:26 PM)
quite the opposite for me, I LOVED carlin with age. Pissing into the mainstream with his brilliant cynicism. The older, darker, more pissed off carlin was awesome. -  1022.gif

yes.gif

Didn't find much to savour from early GC. '90s Carlin has always been my fave period. I loved that transformation. Interesting how a few here liked the younger version.

Archived