Spelling

HisCounterpart

I think it comes from the fact that my first language is not English and I learned to spell in English in a different way than native speakers of English would.

There are several very common spelling mistakes native speakers of English make that make me cringe every time I see them. Not because I think 'oh you're so stupid how can you misspell that', but probably because they are foreign borrowings that also exist in my own language and are pronounced in a way that it would be impossible to misspell them the way English speaking people do. I always have to make a huge effort not to point this out to people, not to be rude. (So yeah, I had to start this thread for venting purposes and to avoid being personal). Anyway, the top 3 misspellings that get my knickers in a twist every bloody time I see them are:

1. similEr

2. sepErate

3. mastErbation

Please, pretty please, it's similAr, sepArate and mastUrbation.

Anyway, I know I'm being anal and I apologise profusely. But I had to vent. Sorry.

blush4.gif

(Oooh I just pressed the spell check button and it it said I had 4 words to correct, but it didn't show them, I'm thinking the 4th one has to be apologise -since I spell it in the British way)

Hey, they don't call me "the grammar police" for nothing! I used to get into a snit about bad spelling and grammar, too... but I've chilled-out a bit over the years. My opinion is the Internet is full of people who can't write.

Frequent mistakes which I see? How about the difference between YOUR and YOU'RE? Or when to use TO, TOO, or TWO? Worst of my peeves: when to use THERE, THEIR, or THEY'RE. I wish everyone would get it right! rage.gif

Newer browsers have built in spell checkers. They usually underline misspelled words. A real life saver at times. On a similer issue, masterbate seperately.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 27 2009, 10:03 AM)
Hey, they don't call me "the grammar police" for nothing! I used to get into a snit about bad spelling and grammar, too... but I've chilled-out a bit over the years. My opinion is the Internet is full of people who can't write.

Frequent mistakes which I see? How about the difference between YOUR and YOU'RE? Or when to use TO, TOO, or TWO? Worst of my peeves: when to use THERE, THEIR, or THEY'RE. I wish everyone would get it right! rage.gif

I see loose used instead of lose a lot. You "lose" a game.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 27 2009, 03:03 PM)
How about the difference between YOUR and YOU'RE?

I see those misspelt pretty often too, but somehow they don't irritate me as much as similEr an mastErbation do. Probably for reasons I described in my previous post. There is NO WAY anyone could misspell masturbation in that way in Russian.

It used to bother me and I'd try to make a joke of it in order to point out how mistakes can cause confusion..........

After several nasty ass comments and messages and deciding to not give a shit and perhaps in fact compete at their level, I've brilliantly blended in with the masses.

I'll use this thread to get my point across, about something that pisses me off.

I am not an English major. I have only a high school education. I was tradesmen for 20 years before going into sales. I am not a good speller.

It bothers me greatly, when smug arrogant jerks have nothing better to do then belittle people by pointing out there spelling errors. Its crap, and its insulting. I have been taking shit for my spelling for four years on this and other boards.

I just don't see the point in making people feel like an idiot, by having to even go there ?

This thread is bullshit for that reason. To those who are brilliant spellers. Get over yourself. Take a look at yourself and realize how flawed you are instead of puffing yourself up by knocking others down.

I'm being completely serious.

Oh, and I used "there" several times in this post, and I don't give a shit if it was used correctly. sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 27 2009, 10:38 AM)
I'll use this thread to get my point across, about something that pisses me off.
I am not an English major. I have only a high school education. I was tradesmen for 20 years before going into sales. I am not a good speller.
It bothers me greatly, when smug arrogant jerks have nothing better to do then belittle people by pointing out there spelling errors. Its crap, and its insulting. I have been taking shit for my spelling for four years on this and other boards.
I just don't see the point in making people feel like an idiot, by having to even go there ?
This thread is bullshit for that reason. To those who are brilliant spellers. Get over yourself. Take a look at yourself and realize how flawed you are instead of puffing yourself up by knocking others down.
I'm being completely serious.

Oh, and I used "there" several times in this post, and I don't give a shit if it was used correctly. sarcasm.gif

its what you have to say, not how you spell it that counts in my book.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

can't remember where I found this paragragh but it seems to be true......

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 27 2009, 10:03 AM)

maybe you should change your name to Geddy Rules?

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 27 2009, 08:03 AM)
Hey, they don't call me "the grammar police" for nothing!  I used to get into a snit about bad spelling and grammar, too... but I've chilled-out a bit over the years.  My opinion is the Internet is full of people who can't write.

Frequent mistakes which I see?  How about the difference between YOUR and YOU'RE?  Or when to use TO, TOO, or TWO?  Worst of my peeves: when to use THERE, THEIR, or THEY'RE.  I wish everyone would get it right!  rage.gif

There = here or there

Their = they own it

They're = they are

Learned it in elementary school.

It doesn't do much good to correct people if they don't want to be corrected. I argued with a friend one time about ending sentences with prepositions. She insisted that "Where is it at" is correct.

I blame the school system for pushing kids through and not making them learn proper english.

I'm no english major myself, but I do try to get it right. It makes it easier to communicate.

As far as forums go, I see a lot of spelling errors. It used to annoy me but I've learned to let it go. I can usually understand what is being said, otherwise I move on to the next thread. Some forums are worse than others, at least this one has a spell check.

QUOTE (Dances with the Moon @ Mar 27 2009, 04:45 PM)
I do try to get it right.  It makes it easier to communicate.

Indeed.

The examples I used aren't really that bad in that respect - you can still understand what people want to say (let's say it's in line with that Oxford research wink.gif ). They are just those that irritate me personally, and I only created this thread to let off steam without pointing at anyone personally.

However, mistakes like THERE for THEY'RE and THEIR and alike can sometimes result in a misunderstanding. And it seems to me that it's only decent to make sure whoever your message is addressed to can understand you. So I do have a slight problem with "I don't care if I can't spell, work it out yourself" attitude, most of the times of course people CAN work it out, but I don't think it can be taken for granted.

I do hate spelling errors. My daughter was just in the district 5th grade spelling bee and she got knocked out with the word "susurration", which is a stupid word which I don't think many people use (certainly not me until the spelling bee). So we'd been studying the list to get ready, and she spelled the word:

s-u-s-s-u-r-r-a-t-i-o-n

She was knocked out, but not because she had an extra 's' in the word. We assumed that the list they gave us to study was correct. They had it spelled on that list

s-u-s-s-u-r-a-t-i-o-n

which, I've come to find out is incorrect.

We didn't raise a stink, but I did think that it was ironic that the administrators of the spelling bee made a spelling error.

She ended up in 4th place in the district, and it going to compete again next year.

So, if you ever want to use the word, it is spelled:

s-u-s-u-r-r-a-t-i-o-n

That's all I got....the susurration on this thread is too much to take.

I used to care more about spelling long ago, but I've found it seriously unimportant.

For example, my wife is dyslexic. Her spelling is really bad, and when she writes things out she's always asking me how to spell words. It just is what it is. It doesn't make her any less intelligent a person because she's not a champion speller or has perfect grammar.

Some people are a wiz at spelling and some aren't, just as some people are great at math, some people really know history well and some don't - it really makes no difference. It's a shame if we choose to judge people by superficial measures such as this.

So yeah, I do the best I can to have somewhat proper spelling and grammar, and I'm constantly going back and editing my posts when I see I make mistakes, but that's just me because I've personally done tons of work as an editor. I might cringe occasionally at a misspelled word, especially a commonly misspelled word, but I get over it REAL fast and don't feel the need to continually berate someone for it.

The message a person is trying to say is FAR more important than having it delivered with academic perfection. If a person chooses to discount what someone is saying or think less of someone's message because of spelling or grammar errors, they might really be missing out.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 27 2009, 11:46 AM)
I used to care more about spelling long ago, but I've found it seriously unimportant.

For example, my wife is dyslexic. Her spelling is really bad, and when she writes things out she's always asking me how to spell words. It just is what it is. It doesn't make her any less intelligent a person because she's not a champion speller or has perfect grammar.

Some people are a wiz at spelling and some aren't, just as some people are great at math, some people really know history well and some don't - it really makes no difference if we choose to judge people by superficial measures such as this.

So yeah, I do the best I can to have somewhat proper spelling and grammar, and I'm constantly going back and editing my posts when I see I make mistakes, but that's just me because I've personally done tons of work as an editor. I might cringe occasionally at a misspelled word, especially a commonly misspelled word, but I get over it REAL fast and don't feel the need to continually berate someone for it.

The message a person is trying to say is FAR more important than having it delivered with academic perfection. If a person chooses to discount what someone is saying or think less of someone's message because of spelling or grammar errors, they might really be missing out.

Aye! wink.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (HisCounterpart @ Mar 27 2009, 10:48 AM)
I think it comes from the fact that my first language is not English and I learned to spell in English in a different way than native speakers of English would.

There are several very common spelling mistakes native speakers of English make that make me cringe every time I see them.

1. similEr
2. sepErate
3. mastErbation

Please, pretty please, it's similAr, sepArate and mastUrbation.

Anyway, I know I'm being anal and I apologise profusely. But I had to vent. Sorry.

blush4.gif

(Oooh I just pressed the spell check button and it it said I had 4 words to correct, but it didn't show them, I'm thinking the 4th one has to be apologise -since I spell it in the British way)

Really? These are the three words that upset you so?

I think you just started this thread so you could type "masterbate/masturbate" over and over again.

You say these words are commonly misspelled? How many things do you read that include that word?

I'm just sayin'....

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Mar 27 2009, 08:06 PM)

I think you just started this thread so you could type "masterbate/masturbate" over and over again.

You say these words are commonly misspelled? How many things do you read that include that word?

I'm just sayin'....

laugh.gif

With regard to the word that offended you (I shall refrain from typing it again not to offend you any further), you are right, it's a word not as common as THEY or THERE, but one would probably encounter it online as often as SIMILAR and SEPARATE, and to justify me starting this thread, if I really have to, I saw the word misspelt on this board. Today. I never mentioned it as I wanted to refrain to coming close to pointing fingers at anyone.

*considers joining more boards to be able to type more dirty words on a daily basis* laugh.gif

Archived