Middletown Dreams

Sark

For me , it's my favorite from Power Windows. I just hope if or when they tour next, I can hear it LIVE! That would absolutley rock! 1022.gif ( live Mission would be nice too!)
  • Like 1

I remember a rumour did the rounds on CP in early summer that Middletown Dreams was being rehearsed with a view towards being rotated into the set, but it never happened.

Great song, but not as great as some think IMO. I presonally prefer Manhatten Project and Marathon.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Mar 4 2005, 01:52 PM)
I remember a rumour did the rounds on CP in early summer that Middletown Dreams was being rehearsed with a view towards being rotated into the set, but it never happened.

Great song, but not as great as some think IMO. I presonally prefer Manhatten Project and Marathon.

Same for me. Two best songs on Power Windows. I also like The Big Money and Mystic Rhythms, but I think those are both much better live.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Mar 4 2005, 10:52 AM)

Marathon is a great song!!

QUOTE (pinkfloyd1973 @ Mar 4 2005, 01:58 PM)
QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Mar 4 2005, 10:52 AM)

Marathon is a great song!!

Yes it is. I don't think that he was bashing it though. You make it sound like he said he despises it. Maybe I am making a wrong assumption about this. confused13.gif

Power Windows is clearly one of my favorites, and Middletown Dreams is a fantastic tune on the CD. However, it fell kinda flat live during the POW tour.

MD grew a bit slowly on me, but now I enjoy it very much.

I can't remember if I ever heard MD live, but Pedro's comment resonated with me. I think some songs can be great studio songs, but, for whatever reason, just not provide the same spark in a live setting.

I happen to think Camera Eye is one of those songs. I love this song to death, but live it just.. doesn't seem to work.

Middletown Dreams, for me, suffers from what I call the Power Windows condition. By that, I mean that I react to it the same way I do all Power Windows songs bar Marathon.

If I'm in the mood, Power Windows can be one of my favourite Rush albums and I love it to death. However, if I'm not in the mood it can seem deathly dull and strangely soulless.

For me, MT epitomises this hot/cold relationship I have with the album (I singled Marathon out because I love tha one, come what may). When I'm in a Power Windows mood, MT can seem like one of the greatest Rush songs ever. The lyrics are evocative and the playing is sublime.

When I'm not in the mood, it just seems like a slightly drab character piece that doesn't engage me.

But, that's the way it goes.

QUOTE (Schro @ Mar 4 2005, 03:20 PM)

I can't remember if I ever heard MD live, but Pedro's comment resonated with me. I think some songs can be great studio songs, but, for whatever reason, just not provide the same spark in a live setting.

I happen to think Camera Eye is one of those songs. I love this song to death, but live it just.. doesn't seem to work.

When did you hear Camera Eye live?

i love EVERY song on PoW. heart.gif this is not simply to say that i listen to the whole thing all the way through every time without skipping any songs. this is more like each song feels like my favorite when it comes on. i'm thinking, "right on! this song is the best. listen to that. how can this be soooo underrated?" confused13.gif

each song is so masterfully crafted. they are not just talented or skilled, but they are also so patient and deliberate....how 1 or 2 of them will lie low in the background while the other shows off that talent and skill. it's like they're taking turns tickling my eardrums. wub.gif (and when i say "lie low" i mean subtle, not boring, not monotonous.) 653.gif

the time and support that they give each other is SO freaking synergetic and it really honors the music. every time i listen to this album, i'm reminded of what Neil said in WIP...

MUSIC stands for

Make

Up

Something

Interesting and

Complimentary

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Well done, Gentlemen!

oh yeah, concerning Middletown, there's a little tinkling sound at 3:30 that always makes me think my cell phone is ringing. laugh.gif

PW and HYF are my favorite albums because the writting was so good back then. The songs had meaning and soul, and the recordings were really great also.

Middletown Dreams is just a great example of great songwritting and playing. It and Mission are like brother and sister!!!!

Neil talks about Middletown Dreams in his Travelling Music book. I enjoyed reading what he had to say about it. I always liked the song, but after reading that, it changed how I appreciated it.

Power Windows is one of my favorites, also. I really enjoy Territories, as well as the others mentioned. Hell, I like them all on that one. I think that album is Neil's best lyrical work. For some reason, the keyboards seeemed to work better on that album than they did on HYF or GUP, also. I was glad they did Mystic Rhythms on the last tour, but I'd love it if they did more stuff from that album on future tours.

QUOTE (Sark @ Mar 5 2005, 05:17 AM)

I can't remember if I ever heard MD live, but Pedro's comment resonated with me.  I think some songs can be great studio songs, but, for whatever reason, just not provide the same spark in a live setting.

I happen to think Camera Eye is one of those songs.  I love this song to death, but live it just.. doesn't seem to work.

I know you wasn't asking me but I saw TCE live on the moving pictures tour and also signals tour. Although I like the song, Live, it seemed to be a dead spot in the show, people seemed bored when it was on and the crowd didn't react as they do for other rush songs. That's probably why they dropped it, either that or they didn't like playing it live themselves, and that could have something to do with the reaction. I know when I was in bands and played certain songs and the crowd didn't respond, we dropped it right away. If it's not any fun for the crowd, it's not fun for the band, at least in my experience of playing live music. I'm almost sure it's like that with most musicians. The crowd energy is where you get yours from a lot of times, it works the other way around too.

Opps, I almost forgot the topic of this thread.........I frickin love Middletown dreams, Grand design is another favorite of mine from that CD.

Edited by Indica

I can't remember if I ever heard MD live, but Pedro's comment resonated with me.  I think some songs can be great studio songs, but, for whatever reason, just not provide the same spark in a live setting.

I happen to think Camera Eye is one of those songs.  I love this song to death, but live it just.. doesn't seem to work.

I was wondering too...they haven't done that song since Moving Pictures tour...I have a live boot mp3 of it and it sounded pretty good to me yes.gif

QUOTE (Sark @ Mar 4 2005, 01:26 PM)
For me , it's my favorite from Power Windows. I just hope if or when they tour next, I can hear it LIVE! That would absolutley rock! 1022.gif ( live Mission would be nice too!)

I like this song alot too. It's one that did not jump out at me at first, but the more it played the more I liked it.

I've never heard Rush play it live, but I did hear a tribute band named Thunderhead play it live in St. Louis (part of the encore, no less).

I agree with everything Indica said (mark this down Indica - we agree on something haha). TCE just didn't create the energy one thinks it would when played live. I don't understand it myself because I love the song.

Perhaps when we've travelled to the last galaxy in the universe, scientists will also be able to figure out why The Camera Eye doesn't work live. Until then, I'll just shrug my shoulders.

cool.gif

Schro

I like MD for it's descriptiveness. The lyrics brilliantly describe individual people and their specific actions and thoughts... yet everyone can feel as though they were the one's being described. The words totally capture that dead end feeling one gets - that feeling of being helplessly trapped.

It's such a great song, yet I can't imagine it being put in the lineup for a live show. It's their call, of course - but if we're talking about PW tunes in the next tour's lineup, it should be Marathon IMO. I feel Marathon deserved to be in the R30 lineup but it didn't happen.

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Mar 5 2005, 02:47 PM)
oh yeah, concerning Middletown, there's a little tinkling sound at 3:30 that always makes me think my cell phone is ringing. laugh.gif

Rolinda,

Put that in the 'sounds in the songs' thread!!!!!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 7 2005, 02:09 AM)

I was wondering too...they haven't done that song since Moving Pictures tour...I have a live boot mp3 of it and it sounded pretty good to me yes.gif

They also played it on the Signals tour but if I remember right they only played some of it and left a couple parts out and then went into another song. I wish I had a signals boot to remember which parts they played.