70s Rush...it's just my opinion of course

Presto-digitation

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Mar 17 2009, 09:11 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Mar 17 2009, 07:08 PM)
Whatever... they are almost 60 f***ing years old.  Nobody their age in the business does what they do, either in the studio nor on stage.  Not the Stones, not Led Zeppelin, not Genesis, not Yes, not Kiss, not Aerosmith... nobody.

Why does every discussion have to be about now vs. then - then vs. now?  How many people do you know who judge what you do today vs. when you were 20?  And wouldn't you want to shove a brick down their throat if they did?

Jeez

waffen093.gif  Era wars

Priest and Iron Maiden are still going hard.......and what about Whitesnake? even though I disagree some say they are still rockin' hard..........

I'm not saying people aren't employed. Sure they are. But I don't think what they are doing matches what Rush can do.

The dudes in Priest or Maiden aren't pushing 60, are they? I don't think they will be doing 18 month long tours when they are. no.gif

And since you brought them up... laugh.gif

I love Whitesnake and David Coverdale is amazing. HE should be on worldwide tours. That album they put out last year is raw, edgy, and it rocks. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Pags @ Mar 17 2009, 07:19 PM)
Whatever... they are almost 60 f***ing years old.  Nobody their age in the business does what they do, either in the studio nor on stage.  Not the Stones, not Led Zeppelin, not Genesis, not Yes, not Kiss, not Aerosmith... nobody.

Why does every discussion have to be about now vs. then - then vs. now?  How many people do you know who judge what you do today vs. when you were 20?  And wouldn't you want to shove a brick down their throat if they did?

Jeez

waffen093.gif  Era wars

Priest and Iron Maiden are still going hard.......and what about Whitesnake? even though I disagree some say they are still rockin' hard..........

I'm not saying people aren't employed. Sure they are. But I don't think what they are doing matches what Rush can do.

The dudes in Priest or Maiden aren't pushing 60, are they? I don't think they will be doing 18 month long tours when they are. no.gif

I love Whitesnake and David Coverdale is amazing. HE should be on worldwide tours. That album they put out last year is raw, edgy, and it rocks. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I don't think they're pushing 60.........but they are likely mid 50's like Ged and Al.......

It's so hard to compare the eras if you ask me.

If you think about it, it's quite amazing this is the same band that gave us Cygnus X-1 book II, that put out Second Nature, Speed of Love, Tai Shan? and anything on Presto?

Those HYF, Presto and RTB, songs were catchy, but to me they had no hair raising moments that they provided on PeW, MP, Signals, AFTK, Hemi, heck even VT and S&A. They were very pop rock oriented song structures with little adventure. Certainly not as adventurous musically as earlier works.

VT and S&A to me, brought back the "Rush moments" we are all so accustomed to, but without giving us a MP II for example.

Earthshine and TMMB for example, bring me back to the place Rush hooked me into, which was the "rush" their music gave me.. exciting adventurous rock, which raised the hairs and gave goosebumps... That's what Rush is to me. Earthshine should have been pushed to become a rock radio staple.

I agree that Rush in the 70's were about proving to you how accomplished they were as players and although they rocked,.... the song structures weren't there yet. I see Caress of Steel as a bunch of unrelated jams that didn't mesh so much. I do love parts of TFoL but the "song" or "suite" whatever you want to call it, is just a hash together.... there wasn't a melody and verse/chorus really ... look at Cygnus x-1 book II, for example. I think Geddy doesn't want to play that suite even in a lower key because there isn't a vocal hook or melody to be found in that stuff.... I LOVE Hemispheres, one of my faves of theirs but can anyone hum a few bars of it?...

Fly by Night though I thought was more cohesive by far than COS.

I'm also of the camp of deeming 2112 a tiny bit overrated. It's a great opus, but may be over pubbed....

I think that with VT and S&A, there is the combination of Geddy's improved melody writing stemming from the HYF, Presto, and RTB era and combined it with some of the playing we've all become accustomed to from the early days...

For me AFTK through Signals was the IT era for me... GUP and PoW were right behind it, then skip to VT and S&A for me.

QUOTE (Pags @ Mar 17 2009, 05:08 PM)

Jeez

waffen093.gif  Era wars

goodpost.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Who gives a flying fu** about the era's biggrin.gif trink38.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Mar 17 2009, 09:21 PM)

Jeez

waffen093.gif  Era wars

I don't think they're pushing 60.........but they are likely mid 50's like Ged and Al.......

Yeah you're right the ages are close enough with Priest. But to me, they aren't doing what Rush can do. And I'm not here to start a debate like this. I wouldn't see the point in comparing what Priest released in the last year or so with something that came out in the mid 70's or early 80's. I just don't understand the need to bother with that.

I just look at it as... if it's good embrace it, don't compare it. And with Rush - it's good.

It seems that the ones who are the most disappointed in the more recent material are the ones who were fans during the 70's and during the early 80's. I wasn't. I don't know... maybe that make me the lucky one for being able to accept and like all of it.

And who knows. I hear Kiss are back in the studio FINALLY. I think they have what it takes to get right back in it as a band who can make new music and blow the doors off with it. Either way, when it comes out I'm not going to compare it to Hotter Than Hell or Rock N Roll Over.

QUOTE (Pags @ Mar 17 2009, 10:08 PM)
Whatever... they are almost 60 f***ing years old. Nobody their age in the business does what they do, either in the studio nor on stage. Not the Stones, not Led Zeppelin, not Genesis, not Yes, not Kiss, not Aerosmith... nobody.

Why does every discussion have to be about now vs. then - then vs. now? How many people do you know who judge what you do today vs. when you were 20? And wouldn't you want to shove a brick down their throat if they did?

Jeez

waffen093.gif Era wars

goodpost.gif

That's one of the reasons I *love* Rush since 70's until nowadays.

Nobody, except Rush does the great music for more than 40 years!

And still there will be more to come. yes.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Mar 17 2009, 07:38 PM)

Jeez

waffen093.gif  Era wars

Yeah you're right the ages are close enough with Priest. But to me, they aren't doing what Rush can do. And I'm not here to start a debate like this. I wouldn't see the point in comparing what Priest released in the last year or so with something that came out in the mid 70's or early 80's. I just don't understand the need to bother with that.

I just look at it as... if it's good embrace it, don't compare it. And with Rush - it's good.

It seems that the ones who are the most disappointed in the more recent material are the ones who were fans during the 70's and during the early 80's. I wasn't. I don't know... maybe that make me the lucky one for being able to accept and like all of it.

And who knows. I hear Kiss are back in the studio FINALLY. I think they have what it takes to get right back in it as a band who can make new music and blow the doors off with it. Either way, when it comes out I'm not going to compare it to Hotter Than Hell or Rock N Roll Over.

I'm not really here to start a debate about it either........just stating that they are a few other mid 50 aged bands still performing and doing what they do at a high level, not only Rush. When I say performing at a high level, I'm referring to Rush's live shows......

trink39.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Mar 17 2009, 08:30 PM)

Jeez

waffen093.gif  Era wars

goodpost.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Who gives a flying fu** about the era's biggrin.gif trink38.gif trink39.gif

Most people here are just debating about what they think are good albums and bad albums. sorry but you and Pags "Era Wars" term doesn't really fit. There is no war here, we are all just discussing and debating likes and dislikes of albums. So if you don't like all the discussion then leave and or don't read the posts.

Besides this has been rather civilized thread compared to other threads i have seen on this same topic.

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Mar 17 2009, 11:36 PM)

Jeez

waffen093.gif  Era wars

Most people here are just debating about what they think are good albums and bad albums. sorry but you and Pags "Era Wars" term doesn't really fit. There is no war here, we are all just discussing and debating likes and dislikes of albums. So if you don't like all the discussion then leave and or don't read the posts.

Besides this has been rather civilized thread compared to other threads i have seen on this same topic.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Relax, killer. I know these people a very long time. But I'm sure they are very thankful you stepped in on their behalf.

I sometimes like the idea that we get more music on a cd than we did with a vinyl album, but sometimes it does feel like it's too much. BUT... lets say they did cut a few tracks from their albums from HYF forward, as has been beaten to death, what would they cut? When they recorded HYF they would have kept Tai Shan.. it appears that today they would cut it off the disc as fast as they could... that's the thing with Rush music, I might not like it today, but I'm going to love it in a year or two.

-------------------------

As for the Whitesnake reference, I think S&A is a better Rush album than Good to be Bad is a Whitesnake album. I was very excited for it and got it as soon as I could, but was pretty disappointed in it.. S&A had me from the first note.. JMO...

-------------------------

Their best years are behind them... well, lots of us can say that... rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Mar 17 2009, 10:32 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Mar 17 2009, 07:38 PM)

Jeez

waffen093.gif  Era wars

I'm not really here to start a debate about it either........just stating that they are a few other mid 50 aged bands still performing and doing what they do at a high level, not only Rush. When I say performing at a high level, I'm referring to Rush's live shows......

trink39.gif

Yeah, I get what you mean. And I like a lot of the bands I mentioned earlier as well as Priest and Maiden. By mentioning other bands, I'm not trying to start a discussion about Rush vs. everybody else. What I am doing is pointing out their longevity, their consistency, and their level. Rush isn't on a reunion tour, or trying to make a comeback, or riding some nostalgia wave.

I never looked at their stuff as separated into better or worse time periods. There are differences in the sound as they have evolved, but it's all at a relatively equal level to me.

I still pin it to when someone discovered the band. It seems people who came in early on and rode through these 'eras' are more susceptable to feeling disappointed (for lack of a better word at the moment) at the changes in sound, or choices of producers, or how many songs they decided to put on an album. None of those things ever bothered me.

QUOTE (Pags @ Mar 17 2009, 08:49 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Mar 17 2009, 11:36 PM)

Jeez

waffen093.gif  Era wars

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Relax, killer. I know these people a very long time. But I'm sure they are very thankful you stepped in on their behalf.

Exactly.. chill out slim biggrin.gif I have been a 2.gif fan since 76' 1022.gif I will post and say what I feel about any album and any era!! wink.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 17 2009, 07:46 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Mar 17 2009, 06:58 PM)
Lets face it though, they have really been treading water for the past twenty years. We still get the odd good (even great) track, but the consistency of yore is long gone.....

you are correct sir.................

1022.gif

You're both out of your minds.

The last 3 records completely blow the 1st three right out of the water. Not even close. Not even up for debate.

You fans of the early material are way too narrow minded.

QUOTE (JPRushHed @ Mar 17 2009, 09:36 PM)
Lets face it though, they have really been treading water for the past twenty years. We still get the odd good (even great) track, but the consistency of yore is long gone.....

1022.gif

The last 3 records completely blow the 1st three right out of the water. Not even close. Not even up for debate.

and your!!! wacko.gif yes.gif laugh.gif rofl3.gif biggrin.gif who are you to judge anyone's taste in music?? confused13.gif

I didn't even know Rush existed until 1996... a friend of mine asked if I wanted to go to a concert. He made me a mixtape, and the rest is history.

I don't think I have a "favorite era"... one day I'll be stuck on Moving Pictures, and the next I'll be wearing out Vapor Trails.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Mar 17 2009, 09:54 PM)
I didn't even know Rush existed until 1996... a friend of mine asked if I wanted to go to a concert. He made me a mixtape, and the rest is history.

I don't think I have a "favorite era"... one day I'll be stuck on Moving Pictures, and the next I'll be wearing out Vapor Trails.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Yes sir!! trink39.gif

QUOTE (JPRushHed @ Mar 17 2009, 05:40 PM)
This is a great thread. GeddyRulz I appreciate your sentiments, I just fiercely defend the new stuff because I think its wonderful. Anybody who left the band after Moving Pictures is honestly stuck in a time warp. Most of the great bands need to stretch out and experiment, otherwise they get bored and their sound gets redundant.

And this is the irony of our argument: I like the new stuff, too! That was my point all along - the point you took me to task for: that I'm "kinder to the new material than most" fans of the 70s Era are.

There was a time I would've put VT in their top 3 albums EVER. Okay, so now in hindsight I think it belongs a little lower... but not much, in my opinion! My strong feelings for such a recent album should give you a good idea of where I'm coming from, how I like the new stuff AND the old... but generally speaking, I prefer the old.

What the hell was the fight about???? I don't think I ever bad-mouthed the new stuff!

QUOTE (JPRushHed @ Mar 18 2009, 12:36 AM)

IN YOUR OPINION, of course, and it IS "up for debate" whenever and wherever even one person disagrees.

The past three STUDIO albums?? Then that includes Test for Echo, basically a collection of "good" but not "great" songs, which is not better than Caress of Steel or Fly By Night. In my opinion, of course. wink.gif

See what I did? I put it up for debate. wink.gif

you can think whatever you want .

QUOTE (troutman @ Mar 18 2009, 12:41 AM)
QUOTE (JPRushHed @ Mar 17 2009, 09:36 PM)

1022.gif

and your!!! wacko.gif yes.gif laugh.gif rofl3.gif biggrin.gif who are you to judge anyone's taste in music?? confused13.gif

egg zakk lee 1022.gif

QUOTE (JPRushHed @ Mar 18 2009, 01:36 AM)

1022.gif

You are absolutely correct. They are both, in fact, out of their minds. laugh.gif

But that's a good thing. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Mar 18 2009, 04:24 AM)
QUOTE (JPRushHed @ Mar 18 2009, 01:36 AM)

1022.gif

You are absolutely correct. They are both, in fact, out of their minds. laugh.gif

Actually, I agree with BOTH of them.

Ok, not really, I'm just trying to add to the madness. And apparently I lost sight of the fact that it's not even up for debate. tongue.gif

Seriously though, if I had to pick between having their first 3 albums or their last 3, I'd choose the first 3 in a heartbeat. Of the last 3, I only like S&A, and I love all of the first 3 except for two songs on COS. I'm one of those that think the first album is criminally underrated. Yeah, it doesn't benefit from Neil's lyrics or drumming, but it rocks hard, has lots of energy and is WAAAAY fun. Hey, and do you remember when Alex Lifeson did long guitar solos? 1022.gif

I can't listen to Rush or Caress Of Steel with the exception of Working Man & Bastille Day and occasionally TFOL. I do think Fly By Night is an upgrade with Anthem, BB&B, & By-Tor. That's 6 songs I like from the 1st three albums.

On the last three albums I like at least 30 songs.

EVERYTHING is up for debate.

Archived