70s Rush...it's just my opinion of course

Presto-digitation

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 23 2009, 10:46 AM)
I think Bjork is progressive because she reinvents how music can be done.

As was stated above, there is a difference between progressive rock and the word progressive as is sometimes attributed to music in a much more general sense. She's progressive, definitely. Progressive rock she's not. no.gif

I guess the main question here is, is she a country artist? tongue.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 23 2009, 12:36 PM)
no.gif I disagree.

I liked your definition, but it's awfully exacting. Do you really mean to say that a band must meet ALL THE CRITERIA YOU LISTED to be considered "Prog"???? fing.gif

One or more of the criteria you listed may be enough.

You give ME the cuckoo sign, yet YOU'RE the one saying that YOU DON'T agree, while, at the same time, stating that YOU DO like the definition. Whas'up with that, yo? lol. The whole purpose of having a definition, any definition for anything, is that some object/person must meet ALL of the criteria in or to qualify as such. It is NOT true that meeting 'one or more' of the qualifications will mean that a band has entirely fulfilled the definition.

We just established that Bjork does indeed meet a few of the characteristics for Prog-Rock , WITHOUT herself actually qualifying as Prog-Rock. You'll notice that ALL of the big-name Prog-Rock bands meet ALL of the qualifications for this definition, including RUSH's 70's output.

Here's a definition I came up with awhile ago for PROGRESSIVE ROCK. Just to be clear, I'm speaking pretty much only of 70's progressive rock here, as generally beyond that (neo-prog or whatever you want to call it) what's referred to as progressive rock diverged significantly enough from their origins to be really essentially a different genre, with some notable exceptions that still tried to duplicate the 70's sound:

Progressive rock music had some very recognizable elements that make one who is aware, pick out music that is progressive very easily. These factors include very complex arrangements, time signatures, time changes and a general musical complexity that usually took very skilled musicians to pull off well, grandiose themes often incorporating science-fiction, the occult, surrealism or existentialism, very long songs that often were suites comprising several sections, and unlike psychedelic music which took its roots from rock, blues, folk and eastern music, prog music had its roots in rock, classical and jazz, giving it a completely unique sound.  Also, progressive rock made tremendous use of keyboards, very often specifically the mellotron (a keyboard that was really an early sampler that had tapes of orchestral and choral sounds that it would play back when hitting a key, but bending the sound and giving it a very cool sweeping, majestic feel), as well as sometimes including other more classical and jazz instruments like violin, flute, saxaphone, etc. to go along with the obligatory guitar/keyboards/bass/drums.

A group did NOT have to have all of these elements to be progressive rock, but it had to have some - sometimes even only one. Rush in the 70's fit all of these categories. They didn't use keyboards extensively, but they used them enough to matter...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 23 2009, 04:21 PM)
actually, my definition of prog rock is somewhat close to naturalsciences. i guess where we differ is that a group has to have all aspects to qualify. i don' think they do, but then you have to take it on a case by case basis.

You and your prog rock goobs...

eyesre4.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (JPRushHed @ Mar 23 2009, 07:02 PM)
Emo is the new prog, discuss.

If it is, I hate Prog these days.

Maiden is progressive metal

That sounds fair. I like. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Most Prog bands can't write great songs. Just very interesting songs. Rush writes the greatest songs. Most prog rock songs are edgy, jerky and uneven. Rush songs are slick, streamlined and seamless. Rush are the greatest prog band by virtue of the fact they can almost fool some into thinking they're not prog. Hell Jacob's Ladder, to look at it on paper, look's like a wooden rollercoaster for god's sake! But it plays like silk.

Archived