No Country for Old Men

lerxt1990

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 17 2008, 08:05 PM)
It's the Coen Brothers return to glory! It's up there with Fargo and Blood Simple. Great movie.

Dont know why it took me so long to see it. But the villain is just evil and scary. Its a very well made film, typical *them*, real thriller, and all the actors just did such a good job!

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 17 2008, 08:09 PM)
It's the Coen Brothers return to glory!  It's up there with Fargo and Blood Simple.  Great movie.

Dont know why it took me so long to see it. But the villain is just evil and scary. Its a very well made film, typical *them*, real thriller, and all the actors just did such a good job!

I want to laugh at the haircut! But then he goes and does the things he does. He's one scary m-f'er!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 17 2008, 08:11 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 17 2008, 08:09 PM)
It's the Coen Brothers return to glory!  It's up there with Fargo and Blood Simple.  Great movie.

I want to laugh at the haircut! But then he goes and does the things he does. He's one scary m-f'er!

yes! the scene where you see and ther dudes coming after him in truck right at sun up was scary as shit! and the pit bull coming for him! wow.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 17 2008, 09:10 PM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/bardem.jpg

Talk about great casting. His voice alone makes you want to hide in the closet. 

He was brilliant. Scary. For those that havent seen it, watch it late at night in a dark room. Wow.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 17 2008, 09:14 PM)
Scene from the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPE106en7pc&feature=related

Gives you the flavor.

What a great scene. The dialogue is brilliant, and it gets extra credit for not having the old man ask, "What do I stand to lose?" Every scene Javier Bardem is in, you're waiting for him to do something BAD. The tension he creates is like a snake, and you're waiting for it to uncoil. When it does, you jump, When it doesn't, you exhale. He creates tension by just being on the screen. Good shit.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 17 2008, 09:38 PM)
Scene from the film:

Gives you the flavor.

What a great scene. The dialogue is brilliant, and it gets extra credit for not having the old man ask, "What do I stand to lose?" Every scene Javier Bardem is in, you're waiting for him to do something BAD. The tension he creates is like a snake, and you're waiting for it to uncoil. When it does, you jump, When it doesn't, you exhale. He creates tension by just being on the screen. Good shit.

very well put, exactly. and yes, when he says that 'what do i stand to lose' - that whole part, its just brilliant...

Scene from the film:

Gives you the flavor.

Damn straight. That whole scene I was waiting for the old man to end up slumped behind the counter or worse. I was sure he'd kill him.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 17 2008, 09:44 PM)
the scenes where they chase and hide from each other is scarier than any big special effects thingy - its REAL thriller writing, suspense... shows you dont need cgi to really get to people!

Alfred Hitchcock had the best definition of suspense. A bomb under a table goes off, and that's surprise. We know the bomb is under the table but not when it will go off, and that's suspense.

Javier Bardem was a lot like that in this movie.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Dec 17 2008, 09:47 PM)
Scene from the film:

Gives you the flavor.

Damn straight. That whole scene I was waiting for the old man to end up slumped behind the counter or worse. I was sure he'd kill him.

Gotta love that shot of the candy wrapper uncoiling in the counter, almost slithering, right before the coin toss. A very effective piece of symbolism.

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Dec 17 2008, 08:11 PM)
I watched this when it first came out on DVD.

It is a brilliant Movie yes.gif

One of my favorites of all time!

Same for me.

1022.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Dec 18 2008, 10:40 AM)

Same for me.

1022.gif

Saw some of it again today, Ive decided the ending is brilliant.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 19 2008, 09:54 PM)

Same for me.

1022.gif

It's on Starz in 5 minutes. I missed the very beginning of it so now I get to see it.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 7 2009, 10:02 PM)
Its on again.  And Im watchign it again.  This is getting into the "Shawshank" zone for me.

My Britcoms have been pre-empted by fundraising crap... so .... Im wating NCFOM again!

The Coen brothers' other great film "Fargo" was on the other night, and of course I watched every brilliant minute of it. It's amazing how many parallels there are between that movie and "NCFOM."

Both take place in vast, barren landscapes, one wintry and one desert (the landscapes become very much a character in both movies). Both have a slow, deliberate pace and are dialogue-driven, punctuated with brief flashes of violence.

Both feature a criminal deal gone wrong, and at the center of those deals is a big satchel of money. In fact, it looks like they used the same satchel for both movies. Both demonstrate creative ways of hiding the satchel (a snow bank, an air duct).

Both celebrate the local dialect -- the quirky, cheery northern "You betcha!" speak of North Dakota/Minnesota, and the "I reckon" southern drawl of Texas. Like the landscapes, the dialects become a character in both films.

Both have heartless criminals who use unusual weapons. "Fargo" shows us a creative use for a wood chipper, and "NCFOM" has a cattle gun and a shotgun with a silencer. Those weapons make big statements whenever they're used. Both films also show those criminals tending to serious injuries sustained in a shootout.

Both have a police chief/sheriff as the moral center of the film, and despite their profession, both are still genuinely amazed at how far criminals AND ordinary people will go for "a little bit of money." And both feature deputies who aren't quite so bright.

One could look at "NCFOM" as a companion piece to "Fargo" (or "Fargo in the desert"), and I don't know if the Coens intended that, but both are utterly brilliant in their own ways.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 20 2008, 02:54 AM)

Same for me.

1022.gif

OK I must watch it again because as I recall the ending flummoxed me...

(well i do bleach my hair)

And Fargo is one of my all time favourites

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 7 2009, 11:37 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 7 2009, 10:02 PM)
Its on again.  And Im watchign it again.  This is getting into the "Shawshank" zone for me.

My Britcoms have been pre-empted by fundraising crap... so .... Im wating NCFOM again!

The Coen brothers' other great film "Fargo" was on the other night, and of course I watched every brilliant minute of it. It's amazing how many parallels there are between that movie and "NCFOM."

Both take place in vast, barren landscapes, one wintry and one desert (the landscapes become very much a character in both movies). Both have a slow, deliberate pace and are dialogue-driven, punctuated with brief flashes of violence.

Both feature a criminal deal gone wrong, and at the center of those deals is a big satchel of money. In fact, it looks like they used the same satchel for both movies. Both demonstrate creative ways of hiding the satchel (a snow bank, an air duct).

Both celebrate the local dialect -- the quirky, cheery northern "You betcha!" speak of North Dakota/Minnesota, and the "I reckon" southern drawl of Texas. Like the landscapes, the dialects become a character in both films.

Both have heartless criminals who use unusual weapons. "Fargo" shows us a creative use for a wood chipper, and "NCFOM" has a cattle gun and a shotgun with a silencer. Those weapons make big statements whenever they're used. Both films also show those criminals tending to serious injuries sustained in a shootout.

Both have a police chief/sheriff as the moral center of the film, and despite their profession, both are still genuinely amazed at how far criminals AND ordinary people will go for "a little bit of money." And both feature deputies who aren't quite so bright.

One could look at "NCFOM" as a companion piece to "Fargo" (or "Fargo in the desert"), and I don't know if the Coens intended that, but both are utterly brilliant in their own ways.

Nice comparisons. No doubt, two excellent films.