No Country for Old Men

lerxt1990

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 13 2009, 02:28 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 13 2009, 01:53 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Mar 13 2009, 01:21 AM)
How is it that I've yet to see this movie?

ohmy.gif

This weekend, I swear!

You're in for a treat! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Let us know what you think trink39.gif

yes.gif applaudit.gif

I was just raving about this movie today to my bud in VA...

Ok, so I guess I'm alone in my opinion on this film, which I finally got to see a couple of days ago.

I found this movie to be completely unenjoyable in almost every way and am shocked it received an Academy Award nomination, much less won. The last time I felt that strongly about an Oscar winner was about Unforgiven several years prior - another movie where I was completely baffled by the appeal. Of the five films nominated for 2007, I've seen four - No Country For Old Men, Juno, There Will Be Blood and Atonement. Juno was far and away the most enjoyable for me. I've yet to see Michael Clayton.

So yeah, No Country had great acting and some of the chase/pursuit scenes were interesting, but I found myself often bored and really wondering what the point was. Some guy finds/steals money, horrible guy chases him and kills everyone, police officer makes depressing observations about life, the end. I really found it pretty unpleasant to sit through. While Fargo was a tad too violent for my tastes, at least I found some of the characters fascinating - this one I just found depressing and pointless.

Ok, I know almost everyone will disagree with me, and of course it's all smilies-8579.png - just my 2 cents.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 30 2009, 07:14 AM)
Ok, so I guess I'm alone in my opinion on this film, which I finally got to see a couple of days ago.

I found this movie to be completely unenjoyable in almost every way and am shocked it received an Academy Award nomination, much less won. The last time I felt that strongly about an Oscar winner was about Unforgiven several years prior - another movie where I was completely baffled by the appeal. Of the five films nominated for 2007, I've seen four - No Country For Old Men, Juno, There Will Be Blood and Atonement. Juno was far and away the most enjoyable for me. I've yet to see Michael Clayton.

So yeah, No Country had great acting and some of the chase/pursuit scenes were interesting, but I found myself often bored and really wondering what the point was. Some guy finds/steals money, horrible guy chases him and kills everyone, police officer makes depressing observations about life, the end. I really found it pretty unpleasant to sit through. While Fargo was a tad too violent for my tastes, at least I found some of the characters fascinating - this one I just found depressing and pointless.

Ok, I know almost everyone will disagree with me, and of course it's all smilies-8579.png - just my 2 cents.

I completely agree with this post. I was reading the whole thread and thinking I was going to be the only one not enamored with this film, but I am not. I pretty much feel the exact same way about this film. Great acting, but as it progressed, I found myself anxious for it to end.

Fargo is a far better film.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 30 2009, 07:48 AM)

I found this movie to be completely unenjoyable in almost every way and am shocked it received an Academy Award nomination, much less won.  The last time I felt that strongly about an Oscar winner was about Unforgiven several years prior - another movie where I was completely baffled by the appeal.  Of the five films nominated for 2007, I've seen four - No Country For Old Men, Juno, There Will Be Blood and Atonement.  Juno was far and away the most enjoyable for me.  I've yet to see Michael Clayton.

So yeah, No Country had great acting and some of the chase/pursuit scenes were interesting, but I found myself often bored and really wondering what the point was.  Some guy finds/steals money, horrible guy chases him and kills everyone, police officer makes depressing observations about life, the end.  I really found it pretty unpleasant to sit through.  While Fargo was a tad too violent for my tastes, at least I found some of the characters fascinating - this one I just found depressing and pointless.

I completely agree with this post. I was reading the whole thread and thinking I was going to be the only one not enamored with this film, but I am not. I pretty much feel the exact same way about this film. Great acting, but as it progressed, I found myself anxious for it to end.

Let me ask you guys something: If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?

I so need to see this! I recently heard that Bardem carries a silenced 870! It'll be worth watching just for that!

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 30 2009, 11:07 AM)
I so need to see this! I recently heard that Bardem carries a silenced 870! It'll be worth watching just for that!

Jack, your such a psycho ! laugh.gif

Dude, that silencer-equipped shotgun is awe-inspiring. There's one scene at night where you don't see Bardem, but you keep seeing the muzzle flash and hearing that ptuuuu from the shotgun. biggrin.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/javier-bardem-no-country-for-old-me.jpg

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 30 2009, 06:52 AM)

I found this movie to be completely unenjoyable in almost every way and am shocked it received an Academy Award nomination, much less won.  The last time I felt that strongly about an Oscar winner was about Unforgiven several years prior - another movie where I was completely baffled by the appeal.  Of the five films nominated for 2007, I've seen four - No Country For Old Men, Juno, There Will Be Blood and Atonement.  Juno was far and away the most enjoyable for me.  I've yet to see Michael Clayton.

So yeah, No Country had great acting and some of the chase/pursuit scenes were interesting, but I found myself often bored and really wondering what the point was.  Some guy finds/steals money, horrible guy chases him and kills everyone, police officer makes depressing observations about life, the end.  I really found it pretty unpleasant to sit through.  While Fargo was a tad too violent for my tastes, at least I found some of the characters fascinating - this one I just found depressing and pointless.

Let me ask you guys something: If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?

What rule are you referring to?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 30 2009, 11:34 AM)

Dude, that silencer-equipped shotgun is awe-inspiring. There's one scene at night where you don't see Bardem, but you keep seeing the muzzle flash and hearing that ptuuuu from the shotgun. biggrin.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/javier-bardem-no-country-for-old-me.jpg

Ooh! I'm gettin' all tingly! laugh.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 30 2009, 11:07 AM)

Jack, your such a psycho ! laugh.gif

Maybe a little. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 30 2009, 12:49 PM)

In that night scene, Bardem reminded me of the shark in "Jaws"...you don't see the shark, but you see the yellow barrels, and they're after you.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 30 2009, 11:34 AM)

I'm with Goob & Tick. I finally caught it (on a Chinese boot complete with character subtitles) and I was surprised at the buzz it had gotten. I agree that the antagonist is one of the greatest representations of evil put forth on film, but beyond that the story isn't that special, and I didn't find myself caring much about anyone else in the movie.

Worth seeing, but not the best piece of work by the Brothers.

Waitll you see him use a cattle stun-gun....

QUOTE (goose @ Sep 30 2009, 11:00 PM)

I'm with Goob & Tick. I finally caught it (on a Chinese boot complete with character subtitles) and I was surprised at the buzz it had gotten. I agree that the antagonist is one of the greatest representations of evil put forth on film, but beyond that the story isn't that special, and I didn't find myself caring much about anyone else in the movie.

As yall know, I disagree. The acting and character development was brilliant IMO. The suspenseful cat and mouse action was thrilling. And the scene with Tommy Lee Jones and John Corbin was, itself, worth an award. Its use of silence was likewise brilliant IMO...

But you know, opinion are like arseholes as they say...

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 30 2009, 11:18 PM)

Waitll you see him use a cattle stun-gun....

Correction.. "Captive Bolt Pistol."

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 30 2009, 11:21 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ Sep 30 2009, 11:00 PM)

As yall know, I disagree. The acting and character development was brilliant IMO. The suspenseful cat and mouse action was thrilling. And the scene with Tommy Lee Jones and John Corbin was, itself, worth an award. Its use of silence was likewise brilliant IMO...

But you know, opinion are like arseholes as they say...

Speaking of that scene with John Corbin...

"How fresh is this coffee?"

"I generally make a fresh pot every week, even if there's some left over." laugh.gif

Edited by Jack Aubrey

This is easily one of my favorite movies. I got it for Christmas at age 12, and promptly watched it with my brother after all the guests left.

Of course, I was twelve at the time, and was very amused by the fact that a man with the same haircut as Willy Wonka was a serial killer. I guess that's what happens when you spend too much time cooped up with the Oompa Loompas. tongue.gif

Jack here: GR, I edited this to render your spoilers in Inviso-text. If you quote this you'll see the code I used and it would be much appreciated if you and anyone else who may read this were to jot it down and use it in the future and don't be afraid to use it liberally as we've had folks complain about spoilers posted for movies that are 20 years old and older so my rule is "when in doubt, use it"!

Thank you kindly!

-Jack.

Is this how it works? laugh.gif

Edited by GeddyRulz