Guitarist Satriani sues Coldplay

kevingodley

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Dec 5 2008, 03:58 PM)
Usually I think these things are far-fetched, but damn! That can't be a coincidence. Go Joe.

I know, thats the first thing I thought too...I know there's always someone thats going to be doing the same melody and for sure the same Chord Progression...but god damn...it's really f***ing close!

I love Coldplay they are one of my fav artists....

I wonder what is going to happen to this!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Dec 6 2008, 05:25 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 6 2008, 07:06 AM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Dec 5 2008, 10:30 PM)
I'm still undecided on it. Surely there must have been so many other instances where bands have come up with a melody that has been similar to another artists, purely because there's so much music out there.

My point exactly. Thanks for that!

Another thing I've wondered about this, should Satriani really get full profits over the song? He didn't write the lyrics, and the rest of his song and the rest of Viva La Vida sound nothing like each other. Coldplay probably wrote the chord progression first before writing the melody to the song, so it'd be easy to string those notes together without hearing the riff before.

I'd like to know why it took him 7 months to start this aswell.

Thats a good point!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Spindrift82 @ Dec 6 2008, 01:08 AM)
I can't understand all the Coldplay hate. They're one of the few current bands that deserves all their success. Absolute genius pop music.

And as for them ripping off a song, all the best musicians have ripped off other artists. Even George Harrison stole a song and was involved in a lawsuit over it.

Well when you're arguably one of the biggest bands in the world - due to your image, radio play, simplistic music (compared to progressive rock bands), you're gonna generate lots of hate, especially from the Rush crowd.

It's to be expected.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Dec 6 2008, 10:40 AM)
I can't understand all the Coldplay hate. They're one of the few current bands that deserves all their success. Absolute genius pop music.

And as for them ripping off a song, all the best musicians have ripped off other artists. Even George Harrison stole a song and was involved in a lawsuit over it.

Well when you're arguably one of the biggest bands in the world - due to your image, radio play, simplistic music (compared to progressive rock bands), you're gonna generate lots of hate, especially from the Rush crowd.

It's to be expected.

I love Rush, and I have no problem with Coldplay. Where does the hate from Rush fans come from?

QUOTE (tHobbs @ Dec 6 2008, 01:18 PM)

It's to be expected.

I love Rush, and I have no problem with Coldplay. Where does the hate from Rush fans come from?

Dunno, I don't mind Coldplay. Not a big fan, but they don't bother me.

QUOTE (Shifty @ Dec 6 2008, 09:47 AM)
QUOTE (Spindrift82 @ Dec 6 2008, 03:08 PM)

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

you beat me to it..................... rofl3.gif

if anyone bothered reading the comments...

jamma246 (7 minutes ago) Show Hide
0 Poor comment Good comment
Marked as spam
Although I still think it is a rip off, I think that you should have mentioned in the clip info that you changed the pitch of "if I could fly" so that the two would match.

You are trying to look unbiased when you actually manipulated the song to sound even more similar.

obviously a bit skeptical, i clicked on the related video which was JS's song by itself, and indeed jamma is right..."If I Could Fly" was originally written not only a whole fourth interval higher, but also at a different tempo. Does this prove that Coldplay are innocent? no, but it proves that the "viva la vida fits right on top of if i could fly" theory is a load of shit. obviously a lot of people, such as most of the people who have posted in this thread, are trying to make this look "more" valid, because they have some sort of preexisting bias against coldplay.

QUOTE (goose @ Dec 6 2008, 12:33 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Dec 5 2008, 09:35 PM)
At first I thought he was suing them for sucking.

An open & shut case if there ever was one!

Next!

laugh.gif

That'd end up being a class-action suit.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Dec 6 2008, 10:17 AM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Dec 6 2008, 05:25 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 6 2008, 07:06 AM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Dec 5 2008, 10:30 PM)
I'm still undecided on it. Surely there must have been so many other instances where bands have come up with a melody that has been similar to another artists, purely because there's so much music out there.

My point exactly. Thanks for that!

Another thing I've wondered about this, should Satriani really get full profits over the song? He didn't write the lyrics, and the rest of his song and the rest of Viva La Vida sound nothing like each other. Coldplay probably wrote the chord progression first before writing the melody to the song, so it'd be easy to string those notes together without hearing the riff before.

I'd like to know why it took him 7 months to start this aswell.

Thats a good point!

trink39.gif

My guess is, either he was deciding whether or not to take it to court (I'm sure the legal fees will cost Satch a pretty penny), or he was waiting until right after the Grammy noms. Maybe Satch is thinking, what better way to knock Chris Martin down a notch than to see his band nominated for a song that he stole from you.

QUOTE (tHobbs @ Dec 6 2008, 12:18 PM)

It's to be expected.

it is not just rush fans. chris martin is an self -important ass licker and the music blows

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 6 2008, 02:39 PM)

It's to be expected.

it is not just rush fans. chris martin is an self -important ass licker and the music blows

That's the best band critique I've ever read in my entire life.

I have two very important points to make:

1. Coldplay are shite

2. Coldplay are shite

Now I know strictly speaking that is only one point, but I felt it was so important that it was definitely worth repeating....

Carry on....

QUOTE (Fridge @ Dec 6 2008, 07:43 PM)

1. Coldplay are shite

2. Coldplay are shite

Now I know strictly speaking that is only one point, but I felt it was so important that it was definitely worth repeating....

Carry on....

Thank you, Kryten wink.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Dec 6 2008, 02:43 PM)

1. Coldplay are shite

2. Coldplay are shite

Carry on....

Yeah, yet another of these bands that suddenly go huge and I have no idea why...

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 5 2008, 03:09 PM)
good, coldplay sucks. fu*k em

agree'd .............. satch boogie's all over them

laugh.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Dec 6 2008, 02:57 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 6 2008, 02:39 PM)

It's to be expected.

That's the best band critique I've ever read in my entire life.

his appearance on Extras led me to believe that he's not really that self-important

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Dec 8 2008, 03:20 AM)
There are TONS of songs out there that are rip-offs of others........I've heard lots FAR WORSE than this for sure...........

True, but this represents an opportunity to cause Coldplay grief, and that is something which should never be passed up no.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Dec 8 2008, 11:25 AM)
There are TONS of songs out there that are rip-offs of others........I've heard lots FAR WORSE than this for sure...........

True, but this represents an opportunity to cause Coldplay grief, and that is something which should never be passed up no.gif

Why doesn't someone assassinate them like John Lenon then? Much easier confused13.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Dec 8 2008, 10:28 AM)

Why doesn't someone assassinate them like John Lenon then? Much easier confused13.gif

where do they live? ph34r.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Dec 8 2008, 03:28 PM)

Just gas them like badgers yes.gif 1287.gif

Archived