The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Feb 17 2011, 08:35 PM)
lyrics
songwriting
vocals
keyboards
synthesizer programming
studio production
mixing and recording
orchestral scoring

it's certainly fair not to care for the guy's music, but his contributions to Yes were profound

I see, I see.. I would rather have taken 12 years of Howe instead which is what fueled my opinion in the first place, so just my orange..

What do you guys think is easier to play, considering my band is a three piece...starship trooper or roundabout?

We might cover some yes, but I'm thinking about it because we're gonna transpose keyboard part to guitar,

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Mar 4 2011, 12:04 AM)
What do you guys think is easier to play, considering my band is a three piece...starship trooper or roundabout?
We might cover some yes, but I'm thinking about it because we're gonna transpose keyboard part to guitar,

This is the kind of thing Steve Howe was complaining about in that new interview laugh.gif to use his words you're not his friend...

tongue.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 4 2011, 12:15 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Mar 4 2011, 12:04 AM)

This is the kind of thing Steve Howe was complaining about in that new interview laugh.gif to use his words you're not his friend...

tongue.gif

I didn't see the interview, my ipad won't let me sad.gif

But i'm sorry I guess tongue.gif it'd be tough to cove with a three piece anyway.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Mar 4 2011, 12:23 AM)

tongue.gif

But i'm sorry I guess tongue.gif it'd be tough to cove with a three piece anyway.

Yeah he was adamant that Yes or anyone else play Yes songs true to the original or just forget about it. He wasn't nasty about it and he said it in a kind of light-hearted way but he did seem sincere on that point and quite a few other issues in the interview.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 4 2011, 01:44 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Mar 4 2011, 12:23 AM)

tongue.gif

Yeah he was adamant that Yes or anyone else play Yes songs true to the original or just forget about it. He wasn't nasty about it and he said it in a kind of light-hearted way but he did seem sincere on that point and quite a few other issues in the interview.

A bit of an extreme position to take in my opinion. So because a couple of ex-Yes members (who also contributed to the writing and arranging) perform the songs in a different way means you can't be friends or work with them again? Doesn't add up.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Mar 4 2011, 05:26 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 4 2011, 01:44 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Mar 4 2011, 12:23 AM)

tongue.gif

A bit of an extreme position to take in my opinion. So because a couple of ex-Yes members (who also contributed to the writing and arranging) perform the songs in a different way means you can't be friends or work with them again? Doesn't add up.

Yeah, he's being very precious. But, he's right. As much as I love Jon, and I loved the Jon and Rick live shows, by taking away the skill factor and depth of playing from the songs, and stripping them back to 3 or 4 chords, they lose a lot of their "Yesness".

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Mar 3 2011, 09:04 PM)

Stick to Tool.

bumper.gif

I'm reconsidering buying the new album/seeing Yes. At first, I was against the new lineup, but I think I decided that I will get the new album and possibly see them. It won't be the same without Anderson/Wakeman, but Squire, Howe, White, and the new guys all sounded great on the videos I've seen.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Mar 7 2011, 05:00 AM)
A great performance of "Awaken" you ought to know about:

part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ7c69ydu50
part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ut-xzVSbHg

One of my all time favourite songs.

Great version too !

Thanks for posting

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Mar 11 2011, 06:05 PM)
Two words:

SHARP!
DISTANCE!

How can the wind with its arms all around me

Also, congrats on FINALLY listening to Fragile tongue.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Mar 11 2011, 03:59 PM)
bumper.gif

I'm reconsidering buying the new album/seeing Yes. At first, I was against the new lineup, but I think I decided that I will get the new album and possibly see them. It won't be the same without Anderson/Wakeman, but Squire, Howe, White, and the new guys all sounded great on the videos I've seen.

I've seen the latest line up 3 times now and all 3 shows have left me cold. It's more like watching a Yes tribute with special guest members of Yes. White looks tired and the band has been pretty loose. Fine if you are a jam band improving but Yes is pretty much turning out the same set night after night. Benoit looks like a jon Anderson tribute singer but that's what you get bringing in a singer from a Yes tribute band. They should have gone out of the box to find a replacement for Jon.

With all that said I am looking forward to the new album now that Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes are involved. Drama is one of my favorite Yes albums. I have a sneaky feeling that while Yes is currently on the road Horn/Downes are rewriting and rerecording the new album.

Apparently the new album is called "Fly From Here"... good name I guess..

and I just picked up the Anderson/Wakeman album "The Living Tree" anyone hear any good things about this album?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 15 2011, 03:35 PM)
Hey you Yes freaks talking about the new album...

What about the first album?? It's f***ing good!

The remastered sound is great too and Bruford owns!!

ohmy.gif

You are just now waking up to this?

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Mar 15 2011, 12:42 AM)
The new singer blows chunks on this one.
Really. This dosen't sound that good.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/x_ETPQWPHeU

He sounds like someone trying to sound like Jon Anderson. It is very forced at times. But at other times, its not so bad. Overall not great, but I gotta give him credit for trying.

Maybe on the new album, he'll sing more in his natural voice. If he tries to sing like Jon on the new material, I'm doubtful it will work.

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Mar 15 2011, 02:38 PM)

ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

I'm a fairly NEW Yes observer...

Certainly early Yes anyway...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 13 2011, 02:49 PM)
Apparently the new album is called "Fly From Here"... good name I guess...

^ if that's true, that's an old name

Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes wrote the Yes song 'We Can Fly From Here' in 1980

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 15 2011, 07:43 PM)

ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

trink38.gif

So you're new to Yes, Tull & Genesis............d'ya ever hear of that beat combo from Canada? Rush, I think they're called. tongue.gif

Joking aside, the first album is very good indeed. Love Harold Land! Love it all actually.

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Mar 15 2011, 03:57 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 15 2011, 07:43 PM)

ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

trink38.gif

So you're new to Yes, Tull & Genesis............d'ya ever hear of that beat combo from Canada? Rush, I think they're called. tongue.gif

Joking aside, the first album is very good indeed. Love Harold Land! Love it all actually.

No I'm not new to Tull, just the later stuff which I never bothered with, the post Broadsword stuff, I've been into Tull since the 80s...

trink38.gif

Yeah that first Yes album is excellent, they had their shit together right away...

ohmy.gif