New 'Star Trek' pics *UPDATED* Plot details!

Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 19 2008, 02:26 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Oct 18 2008, 12:55 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 17 2008, 11:17 PM)
I'll watch it but having them all serve together looking tha tyoung has issues.  It is already established that Pike was Captain before Kirk and only Spock was there.  In the military the unit lasts forever but the members are constantly on the move.  Everyone doesn;t stay in spot forever.  It's like everyone in your high school class getting jobs at the same company and living in the same neighborhood and retiring to the same place and getting buried in the same graveyard.  Change happens.

Pike is in the movie. The movie is about how the crew came together. From what I read, they covered all those bases you seem to be worried about.

Hopefully. Again, my concern is the apparent ages of this cast versus the ages of the original. Cho looks ten years younger than Sulu (I'm assuming he is Sulu). If that's te case it will be, at least, distracting. All in all, I am excited about watching it.

Funnily, Cho is older (by probably 4-6 years) than the original Sulu actor was when that series was made. The only reason I know that is because the original Sulu is 1 year younger than my mum, Cho is my age, and the original series came out in '66 or '67 I think. Now how I remember all that useless info but can't remember the actor that played Sulu first, I can't explain. laugh.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 19 2008, 04:41 AM)
I'll watch it but having them all serve together looking tha tyoung has issues.  It is already established that Pike was Captain before Kirk and only Spock was there.  In the military the unit lasts forever but the members are constantly on the move.  Everyone doesn;t stay in spot forever.  It's like everyone in your high school class getting jobs at the same company and living in the same neighborhood and retiring to the same place and getting buried in the same graveyard.  Change happens.

Pike is in the movie. The movie is about how the crew came together. From what I read, they covered all those bases you seem to be worried about.

Hopefully. Again, my concern is the apparent ages of this cast versus the ages of the original. Cho looks ten years younger than Sulu (I'm assuming he is Sulu). If that's te case it will be, at least, distracting. All in all, I am excited about watching it.

Funnily, Cho is older (by probably 4-6 years) than the original Sulu actor was when that series was made. The only reason I know that is because the original Sulu is 1 year younger than my mum, Cho is my age, and the original series came out in '66 or '67 I think. Now how I remember all that useless info but can't remember the actor that played Sulu first, I can't explain. laugh.gif

George Takei! I believe he was 28-30 when he was cast in Star Trek, which makes him about 6-8 years younger than John Cho is now. I'm too lazy to check out IMDB to confirm it.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 19 2008, 04:41 AM)

thanks for that bit of info. perhaps what we have here is a case of my perception as a child seeing ST on re-runs in the mid-seventies versus my perception as an adult now. The original cast seems older because I remember them from that child's pov?

I can't wait! This is going to be a great flick. I'm a big Trek nerd, and personally, I don't care if there are some minor inconsistencies. I just need something good.

In my opinion, everything since the Wrath of Khan was crap.

QUOTE (MrHands @ Oct 23 2008, 01:38 AM)
I can't wait! This is going to be a great flick. I'm a big Trek nerd, and personally, I don't care if there are some minor inconsistencies. I just need something good.

I only thought 3 of the ST movies were good (and 1 of them isn't the crappy whale one...that one just seemed like one of the shittier episodes but longer). The 3 I liked: Khan of course, part 6? (the last one with all of the original crew), and the one with the Borg

QUOTE (MrHands @ Oct 22 2008, 09:38 AM)

Of the Star Trek movies featuring the original cast, I only really liked II and IV.

I've enjoyed the movies starring the TNG cast, but also don't think any of them are particularly outstanding. I really think it works better as a tv show. I would have greatly preferred that the TNG show would have gone on for another season or two as opposed to them stopping and making a few movies, and it's still my favorite tv show of all time.

This movie looks particularly interesting, if for no other reason than it's a different take on things with an entirely new cast. The movies with the original cast and the TNG cast were getting a bit stale, and shaking things up is good.

Still, I wish they'd have another tv series. The last series Enterprise ran only four years and ended up being cancelled for poor ratings. I thought that was a huge shame as that show was truly excellent and was really hitting its stride.

Ok, enough trekkie rambling for one post. tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 23 2008, 09:06 AM)
Still, I wish they'd have another tv series. The last series Enterprise ran only four years and ended up being cancelled for poor ratings. I thought that was a huge shame as that show was truly excellent and was really hitting its stride.

I agree. Enterprise was finally becoming the show I hoped it would be and they go and pull the plug. It was a shame. It was such an improvement over Voyager.

I really am looking forward to the new movie.

I am in the middle of Season 3 of Enterprise DVD, and indeed, I am in love with it! I just finished the episode "Twilight" and it's as good or better than any Next Generation Episode I've seen.

I dissed on this show simply due to the intro song. Man I missed out. It's very sad Trek is fading, hopefully this movie will help things...

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Oct 16 2008, 07:02 AM)
For some reason I dont have much faith in this movie that it will be as good as the other ones. It seems like a cheap way to recruit a younger generation of trekkies. confused13.gif

This movie should be way better than the other ones............with a HUGE budget and a solid cast, it almost has to be............Trek fans should be looking forward to this one I would think. I know I am.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Oct 23 2008, 02:43 PM)
Eventually they'll prolly reboot TNG as well. Maybe the adventures of a young Picard? That would be interesting. He always seemed to be much more complex than he suggested.

This is a tangent, but you know what bothered me was when in Nemesis they show a picture of Picard Jr. (from the Starfleet Academy days I guess) and he was bald. WTF, that's not right. In the TNG episode Tapestry (great one!) they show that he had hair back during the academy days. Seems like a pretty bad mistake for the powers that be to make doesn't it?

I suppose arguing or even noticing stuff like this is half the reason why they lump us together as they do, eh? wink.gif

QUOTE (MrHands @ Oct 22 2008, 11:38 AM)

Khan, The Search for Spock, The Voyage Home, The Undiscovered Country, Generations, First Contact, and Insurrection were all very good ST movies for me.

The Motion Picture was too slow and uninteresting, even for me. Part 5 was a bad movie but with some of the film series' best quotes: "Spock! Yes Captain? Be one with the horse! Yes Captain." And McCoy's: "I liked you better before you died!"

Nemesis had too many problems with it, which sucks since that's probably the reason why they'll never make another TNG movie.