Superconductor video

rushfr:CP

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 6 2008, 04:17 PM)
Those are my favorite three Rush albums too. Easily. But it IS possible to like the newer stuff on its own merits. I loved Vapor Trails, for instance, but for different reasons than why I liked their earlier prog stuff. That's probably the case with the vast majority of people who visit these boards and continue to see their shows.

It might - just might - be possible to like "New" Rush, but it's damn well hard to Love it.

From HYF on it's been mostly Turkey time, but I'll confess to a strange liking for Superconductor.

I'm just glad they got back to touring Europe again, so I could relive my youth, and stalk miserable old Drummers biggrin.gif wink.gif

Those are my favorite three Rush albums too. Easily. But it IS possible to like the newer stuff on its own merits.

There is no point in trying to engage any one of this annoying little quartet of Brits in discussion. At least Nick thinks he's being funny but the others are usually just vile. Their sole purpose is to try to antagonize fans who they seem to view as pathetic for being serious fans of the band and yet seemingly every third post on the Counterparts board is by one of these doofuses. The fact that they have spent all day every day for years on that board trying to mock fans and the band is just ironic in the extreme. Now they're here. They must spend whatever little free time they have looking for kids' sand castles to knock over. There's nothing wrong with having good-natured fun at the band's and our expense at times but these guys do nothing else. Every single post is designed to get a rise out of people. Rush is a band that was good for a couple years in the 70s but outside of that they're a bunch of old, fat, fascist, moneygrubbing, fan hating, boring, pretentious, has-beens to these people. Alex is fat and can't play anymore. Geddy is an ugly witch, and Neil is an elitist miserable overrated prick who hates everybody and if you disagree or challenge them on anything then you're just a drooling fanboy who is incapable of being objective and is devoid of critical thinking. But hey, it's all just for fun! You guys just take it too seriously. eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Oct 4 2008, 07:13 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Oct 4 2008, 09:31 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Oct 3 2008, 11:09 AM)
People can bash the video all they want to but I don't think most realize there's a point to the silliness. A lot of the cheese factor and the mesmorized audience is that way intentionally because it's the point of the song.

goodpost.gif

One of my favorite songs and I don't care who knows! laugh.gif

Nor should you! 1022.gif

goodpost.gif smile.gif

Does anyone think it's just coincidence that the really skanky woman in the video looks scarily like Madonna?

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Oct 6 2008, 05:33 PM)
Rush is a band that was good for a couple years in the 70s but outside of that they're a bunch of old, fat, fascist, moneygrubbing, fan hating, boring, pretentious, has-beens. Alex is fat and can't play anymore. Geddy is an ugly witch, and Neil is an elitist miserable overrated prick who hates everybody.

By-Jove, I think he's got it biggrin.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Oct 6 2008, 05:33 PM)
Those are my favorite three Rush albums too. Easily. But it IS possible to like the newer stuff on its own merits.

There is no point in trying to engage any one of this annoying little quartet of Brits in discussion. At least Nick thinks he's being funny but the others are usually just vile. Their sole purpose is to try to antagonize fans who they seem to view as pathetic for being serious fans of the band and yet seemingly every third post on the Counterparts board is by one of these doofuses. The fact that they have spent all day every day for years on that board trying to mock fans and the band is just ironic in the extreme. Now they're here. They must spend whatever little free time they have looking for kids' sand castles to knock over. There's nothing wrong with having good-natured fun at the band's and our expense at times but these guys do nothing else. Every single post is designed to get a rise out of people. Rush is a band that was good for a couple years in the 70s but outside of that they're a bunch of old, fat, fascist, moneygrubbing, fan hating, boring, pretentious, has-beens to these people. Alex is fat and can't play anymore. Geddy is an ugly witch, and Neil is an elitist miserable overrated prick who hates everybody and if you disagree or challenge them on anything then you're just a drooling fanboy who is incapable of being objective and is devoid of critical thinking. But hey, it's all just for fun! You guys just take it too seriously. eyesre4.gif

goodpost.gif

Ever notice how these Brits keep bashing "new" Rush, and at the same time griped and complained about Rush not touring England for such a long time? I'm sure there's a conection there. It's like sure, they want Rush to tour England, but they only want to hear the "old" stuff! eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Oct 7 2008, 09:58 AM)
Ever notice how these Brits keep bashing "new" Rush, and at the same time griped and complained about Rush not touring England for such a long time? I'm sure there's a conection there. It's like sure, they want Rush to tour England, but they only want to hear the "old" stuff! eyesre4.gif

Ever notice how Merkins conflate England with Britain? All English people are British, but not all British people are English - although they'd all like to be tongue.gif

Of course we want Rush to tour Britain - and indeed Europe - and only hear old Rush, because that's the best Rush biggrin.gif I'll tell you something - for nothing- if Rush announced a British tour where they promised to play nothing later than Signals then attendances would double. only 2 Rush albums have achieved "Gold" (100,000 sales) status in Britain - AFtK and Permanent Waves. The last Rush album to be certified "Silver" (60,000 sales) in Britain was Presto.

QUOTE (King Troll @ Oct 7 2008, 10:30 AM)
Ever notice how Merkins conflate England with Britain?

I take offense to the terminology. While some US Citizens certainly bear a striking resemblance to little wigs meant to be worn on the pubic region (note to other TRF'ers - look up 'merkin'), I daresay the majority of the people on this board, myself included, do not.

I won't call all British 'English' if you stop referring to everyone in the 50 as 'Merkins'. wink.gif

QUOTE (King Troll @ Oct 7 2008, 10:30 AM)
QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Oct 7 2008, 09:58 AM)
Ever notice how these Brits keep bashing "new" Rush, and at the same time griped and complained about Rush not touring England for such a long time? I'm sure there's a conection there. It's like sure, they want Rush to tour England, but they only want to hear the "old" stuff!  eyesre4.gif

Ever notice how Merkins conflate England with Britain? All English people are British, but not all British people are English - although they'd all like to be tongue.gif

Of course we want Rush to tour Britain - and indeed Europe - and only hear old Rush, because that's the best Rush biggrin.gif I'll tell you something - for nothing- if Rush announced a British tour where they promised to play nothing later than Signals then attendances would double. only 2 Rush albums have achieved "Gold" (100,000 sales) status in Britain - AFtK and Permanent Waves. The last Rush album to be certified "Silver" (60,000 sales) in Britain was Presto.

Why would any band tour a country- whatever you want to call it- that's clearly not interested in their new material? They might as well tour Siberia, or the North Pole. As for being called "Merkins", I don't care, it just demonstrates a general ignorance of this country.

can we please take the country bashing to another thread or out of here altogether. i love my country and i don't give a shit who does not , just keep it to yourself

QUOTE (metaldad @ Oct 7 2008, 02:43 PM)
can we please take the country bashing to another thread or out of here altogether. i love my country and i don't give a shit who does not , just keep it to yourself

MD, my comments here aren't meant to bash England (or Brittian, or whatever). I'm merely pointing out to our friends across the pond that they shouldn't be so surprised when Rush doesn't come their way. I'll put this like a typical "Merkin"; If'n y'all don't git to buyin' some Rush records, they won't wanna come around to yer neck o' the woods. laugh.gif

QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Oct 7 2008, 03:01 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Oct 7 2008, 02:43 PM)
can we please take the country bashing to another thread or out of here altogether.  i love my country and i don't give a shit who does not , just keep it to yourself

MD, my comments here aren't meant to bash England (or Brittian, or whatever). I'm merely pointing out to our friends across the pond that they shouldn't be so surprised when Rush doesn't come their way. I'll put this like a typical "Merkin"; If'n y'all don't git to buyin' some Rush records, they won't wanna come around to yer neck o' the woods. laugh.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Oct 7 2008, 02:41 PM)
Why would any band tour a country- whatever you want to call it- that's clearly not interested in their new material? They might as well tour Siberia, or the North Pole. As for being called "Merkins", I don't care, it just demonstrates a general ignorance of this country.

I suppose a band would tour a country that doesn't like it's new material for the almighty DOLLAR for their retirement funds. For years Rush ignored this side of the pond because they thought they would lose money. In these days of inflated concert ticket prices they have found they can make money over here - even in halls that are 75% full.

They'd get even more Pension fund top ups over here if they played a guaranteed set of Golden Oldies.

And I only use the term "Merkin" because it will make my posts read as if they are in your accent tongue.gif And even though I have never been to the US and A, I would wager good money that I - an Average Brit - am less ignorant of the US and A then the avergae American is of Britain.

And I'm happy being a Limey - because it proves our superior intellect biggrin.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (King Troll @ Oct 7 2008, 03:49 PM)
QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Oct 7 2008, 02:41 PM)

I suppose a band would tour a country that doesn't like it's new material for the almighty DOLLAR for their retirement funds. For years Rush ignored this side of the pond because they thought they would lose money. In these days of inflated concert ticket prices they have found they can make money over here - even in halls that are 75% full.

They'd get even more Pension fund top ups over here if they played a guaranteed set of Golden Oldies.

And I only use the term "Merkin" because it will make my posts read as if they are in your accent tongue.gif And even though I have never been to the US and A, I would wager good money that I - an Average Brit - am less ignorant of the US and A then the avergae American is of Britain.

And I'm happy being a Limey - because it proves our superior intellect biggrin.gif wink.gif

Do you have any idea how many "accents" (dialects) we have here in the US of A? I'm guessing not. It probably all sounds the same to you.

Some of the best fans on this site or anywhere are British, my comment above was not targeted at them in general but instead just at that small group that happens to all be from somewhere in Great Britain. Those specific few are obnoxious in the extreme. It's simply not funny or entertaining.

Being called "American" repeatedly just as one example for simply liking anything from the past 30 years is not funny.

For those who don't know:

American:

Derogatory word used by the English and Australians for all American nationals. Derived from Rhyming slang (Septic Tank = Yank)

Doing nothing but insulting the band and its fans every single day and then adding a little sarcastic wink.gif is not amusing. Sadly, King Troll aka nickslikk2112 on the Counterparts site at least thinks he's clever but the others (2 in particular) are just hateful. Anyone who finds amusement every single day solely by pissing people off has the maturity of a six year old. Obviously King Troll was beaten up repeatedly on the playground as a child as this is the only way he can pretend to have any power. F'ing pathetic losers wink.gif biggrin.gif .

See? It doesn't work.

QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Oct 7 2008, 04:27 PM)
Do you have any idea how many "accents" (dialects) we have here in the US of A? I'm guessing not. It probably all sounds the same to you.

Sir, I am fully cogniscant of the fact that the US and A has a wide range of accents, and some dialects. But it cannot compare to the rich tapestry of accents and dialects to be found in the British Isles. Which is why we are able to watch TV progammes made in "American English" (American English) whereas British TV programming tends to get remade for a US audience. Heck, we even have to subtitle our own TV progs if those Jockos are talking tongue.gif

QUOTE (King Troll @ Oct 7 2008, 05:25 PM)

Sir, I am fully cogniscant of the fact that the US and A has a wide range of accents, and some dialects. But it cannot compare to the rich tapestry of accents and dialects to be found in the British Isles. Which is why we are able to watch TV progammes made in "American English" (American English) whereas British TV programming tends to get remade for a US audience. Heck, we even have to subtitle our own TV progs if those Jockos are talking tongue.gif

What does that have to do with anything? KT, don't you think that if there was any money for Rush to make in England, or Britain, or the UK, or whatever, that they'd be all over it? Of course they would. But the sad truth is, their record sales have been pretty poor over there since the mid-80's. That's not a reflection on the band, that's a reflection on YOU! Rush does great here, both in record sales, and in concert attendance, that's why they do more US shows than anywhere else, and why they blew off England for all those years, get the connection?

QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Oct 7 2008, 06:53 PM)

KT, don't you think that if there was any money for Rush to make in England, or Britain, or the UK, or whatever, that they'd be all over it? Of course they would. But the sad truth is, their record sales have been pretty poor over there since the mid-80's. That's not a reflection on the band, that's a reflection on YOU! Rush does great here, both in record sales, and in concert attendance, that's why they do more US shows than anywhere else, and why they blew off England for all those years, get the connection?

So, in other words, Britain is once again fukt.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 7 2008, 05:57 PM)
QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Oct 7 2008, 06:53 PM)

KT, don't you think that if there was any money for Rush to make in England, or Britain, or the UK, or whatever, that they'd be all over it? Of course they would. But the sad truth is, their record sales have been pretty poor over there since the mid-80's. That's not a reflection on the band, that's a reflection on YOU! Rush does great here, both in record sales, and in concert attendance, that's why they do more US shows than anywhere else, and why they blew off England for all those years, get the connection?

So, in other words, Britain is once again fukt.

As long as they keep up the attitude, and the poor record sales, ya! tongue.gif

Archived