New Marillion album

jesterhud

Marillion have made a exceptionaly bold move and pre-realeased their new album 'Happiness is the Road' to the Internet a month before it is actually released on CD.

They are encouraging people to download it from this site, you just need to provide your e-mail address when you download it.

Its a fantastic double album, great stuff, fave tracks so far for me are 'Essence' and 'The man from the planet marzipan'.

Go here to get it

http://www.musicglue.com/marillion

It even made the BBC news website yesterday

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7606029.stm

I think the formats were Mp3 or WMA, but i wil be honest , the Mp3s i downloaded sound absolutly fine to my ears, they sound like a shop bought CD

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 12 2008, 05:38 AM)
f**k, I don't want to bust out the debit card to pay a $1 service charge. Anyone who has it should PM me with a link. They're giving the album away so it's not stealing.

I'm waiting for my pre-ordered Deluxe edition double cd, complete with 2 96 page hard covered books.

The band, in an email to Marillion fan club members asked us to wait for the cd as the music in the download is "Less than CD quality".

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 12 2008, 01:38 AM)
f**k, I don't want to bust out the debit card to pay a $1 service charge. Anyone who has it should PM me with a link. They're giving the album away so it's not stealing.

eyesre4.gif

I'm a HUGE Marillion fan, and I can't wait to hear the record ! 1022.gif

PLEASE COME TO THE STATES THIS TOUR, PLEEEASE !!! sad.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 12 2008, 12:38 AM)

$1 !! come on please !!!

QUOTE (jesterhud @ Sep 12 2008, 10:49 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 12 2008, 12:38 AM)

$1 !! come on please !!!

no shit

This sounds very promising.

I've been listening to Somewhere Else again and it's not as bad as I originally thought. It's like a lot of Marillion albums, they tend to grow on me. Still though, it's not up to Marbles or Anarak standards.

common001.gif

By the way, I think this is truly ground-breaking. A respectable band "giving" away their music. I think they have come to terms with the Music business in the 21 century. They realize that CDs cost $15-20 and concert tickets cost $30-70 or higher. They also realize that there is a whole lot of file sharing going on out there which is reducing CD sales. If they can give away the album for free (albeit it's MP3s) they might get more folks buying concert tickets that otherwise may not have... The album will be widely distributed and they might possibly grow their fan base, which will bring in more $$ in the long run.. I think it's a brilliant move, and they don't have to fight to keep their music from being pirated, saving them legal costs etc etc....

common001.gif

It has the sound of a band on autopilot for the most part, IMO. It's better than Somewhere Else by a good margin, but on the first couple listens, I really don't hear anything cataclysmic or spectacular. I don't hear any cringe-worthy songs like I did on Somewhere Else, but for me, Happiness is the Road really cements my feeling that they'll never come close to Marbles again.

The Hard Shoulder is definitely better than Essence, though.

Archived