How did you meet your SO?

Sodoff Baldrick

I was deep in the throes of my "disco dude" era. 653.gif common001.gif I was a party man, wild man, etc. trink39.gif I was skinny and fearless, as well. (What an idiot! laugh.gif )

Anyways, I spotted the future Mrs. BSG and was immediately intrigued. I persisted in asking her to dance, until she finally agreed to oblige the unrelenting doofus, just to shut me up. tongue.gif We ended up dancing for the rest of the evening, until I had to leave to attend to my brother, who had imbibed a bit too much liquid joy. I managed to snag her phone number, and asked her out the next week. To my eternal amazement, instead of uproarious laughter, and the sound of the phone being hung up, I heard her say "yes" to dinner at The Olive Garden. (Don't laugh. At the time, TOG was new and seemed to be the height of casual dining.) For those who don't know, TOG is a chain Italian restaurant which specializes in bland fare, bereft of zest.

Anyways, those are our auspicious beginnings. We've recently marked an even dozen years since we said our vows.

As far as the story of how we met, to "sensitive" aunts and uncles, we met at a "party", not a "gin-soaked disco boozearama". icon_really_happy_guy.gif

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Feb 15 2005, 12:14 AM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Feb 14 2005, 04:18 PM)
This thread can kiss my  moon.gif

Oh and to any of those that take offense,  nasty.gif

Hear hear! 1287.gif

Ouch! You guys must have recently got dumped or currently pay some big alimony or something!! I don't think I have ever heard a remark so negative from Moonraker.... I feel for you....

About six years ago, I split up with the girl I was living with in Stoke-on-Trent (less said about her the better) and decided to move back home to mansfield. Six months after arriving back, desperate for a job, I started work at our local McDonalds to quickly find that the majority of the staff there took an instant dislike to me (too weird for them - Rock fan and hated soap operas).

The only person who seemed to make an effort to get to know me was a young, blonde haired girl called Jess. Before long, the two of us had struck up a decent friendship. Not much longer after that, I found myself, when on the night shift, watching her as she worked out on the dining area. It was then that I realised that I felt something more than simple freindship towards her. The only snag was that she had recently become engaged to one of the managers there.

Anyway, we were on a Sunday shift together when she mentioned that Dave, her fiancee, was going out with his friends the coming Thursday and did I fancy coming out for a drink with her and her cousin. After visiting a few pubs, they persuaded me to go on to a nightclub with them and, before we'd been in the place 30 minutes, her cousin had disappeared. The two of us, not being keen on the music being played, found a quiet corner and just sat talking until about 1pm when she decided she'd had enough so I offered to walk her home (look, there were NO ulterior motives - I was just being friendly).

Anyway, after the weekend, I returned to work to find that she had broken off the engagement. About two weeks later we became a couple. About two weeks after that she was practically living at my flat. About 18 months after that, out son James was born. 19 months later, our daughter Mary was born. 13 months after that, we wwere married.

And that's my story.

Guest Steelrat

Someday, maybe I'll marry a princess... but for now, I'll stick with the frog.

Ok seriously, I don't have a girl nor wife. I don't think I'm going to for a while, because nobody likes me smile.gif

QUOTE (dweezil @ Feb 14 2005, 06:09 PM)
QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Feb 14 2005, 07:06 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Feb 14 2005, 08:59 PM)
I've not got an SO right now...but if things keep going the way they are right now, I'll be able to post in this thread next year.

You and Dweezil seem to be hitting it off quite nicely lately!!! AlienSmiley.gif

Chat Room Alert... Chat Room Alert yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif cat.gif

Are you on crack?

wacko.gif

Hey Dweez I'm not that bad of a guy. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Feb 15 2005, 05:08 PM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Feb 14 2005, 06:09 PM)
QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Feb 14 2005, 07:06 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Feb 14 2005, 08:59 PM)
I've not got an SO right now...but if things keep going the way they are right now, I'll be able to post in this thread next year.

You and Dweezil seem to be hitting it off quite nicely lately!!! AlienSmiley.gif

Chat Room Alert... Chat Room Alert yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif cat.gif

Are you on crack?

wacko.gif

Hey Dweez I'm not that bad of a guy. laugh.gif

I believe you, DM.

I just don't get rumor mongers?

QUOTE (dweezil @ Feb 15 2005, 06:06 PM)

I hear you on that...We've never really "talked" to each other so I was as surprised as you when I read that.

I guess someone has to "stir the bucket" laugh.gif

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Feb 15 2005, 08:52 PM)

I hear you on that...We've never really "talked" to each other so I was as surprised as you when I read that.

THey can shut up now.

If you can believe it, I just got the tongue lashing of my life (NOT SEXUAL!!). Someone outed me.

I won't share details, and I'm sure some are secretly gloating, but hey, they have no clue what it was about. Suffice it to say, I may have an SO that I tried real hard not to commit to?

Maybe we will see a kinder gentler dweezil in the future?

unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif

QUOTE (dweezil @ Feb 15 2005, 10:59 PM)

THey can shut up now.

If you can believe it, I just got the tongue lashing of my life (NOT SEXUAL!!). Someone outed me.

I won't share details, and I'm sure some are secretly gloating, but hey, they have no clue what it was about. Suffice it to say, I may have an SO that I tried real hard not to commit to?

Dweez, you shouldn't change.

I like your sour, pessimist, put-down attitude enough as you are tongue.gif

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Feb 15 2005, 09:01 PM)

THey can shut up now.

ohmy.gif

QUOTE (dweezil @ Feb 15 2005, 11:05 PM)

THey can shut up now.

ohmy.gif

Did I say something I shouldn't have? unsure.gif

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Feb 15 2005, 09:11 PM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Feb 15 2005, 11:05 PM)

THey can shut up now.

ohmy.gif

Did I say something I shouldn't have? unsure.gif

I'm just saying. It's tiring being a hard ass all the time.

I love you too brother.

wub.gif wub.gif

QUOTE (dweezil @ Feb 15 2005, 08:17 PM)

I guess someone has to "stir the bucket" laugh.gif [/quote]
THey can shut up now.

unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif [/quote]

I like your sour, pessimist, put-down attitude enough as you are tongue.gif [/quote]
ohmy.gif [/quote]
Did I say something I shouldn't have? unsure.gif [/quote]
I'm just saying. It's tiring being a hard ass all the time.

I love you too brother.
wub.gif wub.gif

It is hard being the "asshole" (as I have been called) all the time. For what it's worth, I didn't think you were a hardass. I think you just get sick & tired of all the stupid people out there in the world.

I hope that whatever it is you have going works out well for you Dweez. Sometimes you just have to let go of the wheel & be the passenger...

It was about 6 yrs ago. I had been working at the Univ. of CT for about a year - and I HATED it - was actually looking for a new job out in Denver. I went to an Earth Day concert (by myself - hadn't met any friends yet....). While waiting for my favorite local band to come on, I wandered around the various booths set up.

At one of the booths, I recognized this guy. I knew he worked at UConn, but wasn't sure where exactly I had met him. So I went up to him and said, "Hey- you work at UConn, don't you?" Turns out - we work in the same department! (Different managers, but the same director) We were in different locations - so I had only talked to him on the phone.

We talked for almost an hour (so much for manning his booth!). After I left, his friend told him I was cute, and he had to ask me out. He asked me out to lunch the next day at work.

We hung out as friends over the summer. After 2 BAD relationships, I had sworn off relationships - seriously - FOREVER. I was dead set on being an Old Maid and staying single forever.

However - I finally realized that this guy could really make me laugh, and bring me up when I was down. I realized that I loved him, and needed to make that leap of faith. Just because my other relationships hadn't worked, didn't mean that this one would fail also.

So, here we are - 6 yrs later; married for almost 3 yrs now! Neither of us are perfect, our marriage isn't perfect, but it certainly is love, and we keep on trying!!

wub.gif

(and yes - we still work together - even more closely than before. And in 3 weeks, my team is moving into the same, cramped area as his. So we'll REALLY be *together*!!) wacko.gif

QUOTE (Chasartymac @ Feb 14 2005, 04:17 PM)
The Love Shack on Counterparts is still there, as are the posts in other threads in which NPG and I first interacted. A funny little exchange about spelling mistakes. Now we continue in The Lurve Shack here on TRF.

Spelling mistakes!!! So that's how it started for you guys too?? Rick and I laughed our blinks off (still do! laugh.gif ) in the very beginning about all of our typos. . . one of the many things we do laugh about. smile.gif wub.gif You might say that mack typing and badtypingitis is at the foundation of our relationship laugh.gif wink.gif

Yeah. Tracy pulled me up on something I spelled wrong, and signed it 'Rush Grammar Police'.

Then, a while later, she misspelled 'misspelled', I laughed, corrected her and signed off as Captain Chas Iymchekkin of the Rush Grammar Police Internal Affairs.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (neilpeart_gal @ Feb 16 2005, 09:03 PM)
Oh the irony of me misspelling 'misspelled'!!!  laugh.gif

I guess it was truly meant to be.  wub.gif

You guys have such a great 'story'! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif That's the way Susan and I feel, like we were meant to be. All the crap that both of us endured and finally coming together...

Wish I could get my wife to post here too.

I wish you could, too!! She'd love it here!

Chas and I have made tons of sacrifices to be where we are today, and there are still some yet to be made. But, when you have this much love for each other and feel it is meant to be, the sacrifices seem somewhat lessened. wub.gif

QUOTE (neilpeart_gal @ Feb 17 2005, 08:57 AM)
I wish you could, too!! She'd love it here!

Chas and I have made tons of sacrifices to be where we are today, and there are still some yet to be made. But, when you have this much love for each other and feel it is meant to be, the sacrifices seem somewhat lessened. wub.gif

What sacrifices???? tongue.gif

My first 'Ex' I met over a Collie dog in summer of '84.

My last 'Ex' I met in a night club, but we only started seeing each other 13 months later.

Goodness knows how I'm going to meet my next 'Ex' laugh.gif

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Feb 17 2005, 09:59 AM)
QUOTE (neilpeart_gal @ Feb 17 2005, 08:57 AM)
I wish you could, too!!  She'd love it here!

Chas and I have made tons of sacrifices to be where we are today, and there are still some yet to be made.  But, when you have this much love for each other and feel it is meant to be, the sacrifices seem somewhat lessened.  wub.gif

What sacrifices???? tongue.gif

Hmmmm being 4000 miles away from each other every day, for starters! smile.gif

and changing our lifestyles so that we can at least be together online with a 6 hour time difference. 2 return plane tickets and 3 weeks off work, (unpaid). And me, considering drawing a line under my life and starting afresh in a new country.

Just small things really. laugh.gif

Archived