the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

I know you guys are gonna hate me for doing this, but...

Last night, at that huge FYE, I found a MFSL 24KT copy of Permanent Waves, but it cost $31 and I can't afford spending that much on a single disc so I put it back. I also found a copy of Isn't Anything by My Bloody Valentine, but I didn't get it because I thought I was spending too much money. Of course, getting that would have probably only upped my total by about ten bucks, but I didn't know about the discount so I had to put it back. Not to worry; I'm going to try and buy that MBV cd off of Amazon, and I'll look into getting both the MFSL cd and the vinyl version of PeW sooner or later.

QUOTE (Handle With Kid Gloves @ Apr 15 2010, 08:46 PM)
I find myself wondering why my taste in music is so...eclectic I guess I would have to say.. my itunes consists of  2.gif , the Format, Fun. and Taylor Swift

Let's see what I can come up with... Yes, Radiohead, Green Day, Depeche Mode, Black Flag, Big and Rich, Morrissey.

I would say this could be a fun game, but then colinfledge would come in with his massive library and own everyone. laugh.gif

I know haters are gonna hate, but... I just realized that I actually like several pop songs from circa 2006 (at least, that's when I remember listening to them), if only for nostalgic value. Here's a few off of the top of my head.

All-American Rejects - "Move Along" (really got crazy about this song after a YouTube video mixed it with clips from one of my favorite animated shows of the time, Teen Titans)

Black Eyed Peas - "Let's Get it Started" (not a fan of their new stuff, and even though it's deep as a teaspoon, it's cool from time to time)

Hoobastank - "The Reason" (same as "Move Along" - and like that video, I just found the great video that mixed them on YouTube; I was surprised they hadn't been deleted because of copyrighting or whatever)

Maroon 5 - "This Love" (not crazy about it, but again... dose of nostalgia)

P!nk - "Don't Let Me Get Me" (mixed Teen Titans clips with the song... that video got taken down a while back, though. sad.gif It was an awesome video IMO.)

My breakdown of Genesis' self-titled album after my first listen:

First four songs ("Mama", "That's All", "Home by the Sea", and "Second Home by the Sea") are pretty much perfect. (I guess this was side one on the vinyl version.) "Side two" starts out with the wut-inducing "Illegal Alien" and is followed by the sappy-sounding "Taking It All Too Hard", but then is saved a bit by "Just a Job to Do". "Silver Rainbow" and "It's Gonna Get Better" close out the album, both less than impressive.

Final verdict: 8/10

"It's Gonna Get Better" is one of my very favorite Genesis tracks...especially when you add the missing verse back in. The older I get the more it resonates with me.

George Harrison's "Be Here Now" is just sublime. Another mantra for the soul.

Sigur Ros' "Takk..." may well be my favorite album of the 00's. I didn't think I could be moved by music this way again. And their live show is astounding.

You need to get your ass to the store and get Sevendust - Cold Day Memory . It came out yesterday

I've been on a major King Diamond kick this past week. Album ranking time!

Conspiracy

Abigail

"Them"

Fatal Portrait

The Eye

Voodoo

Give Me Your Soul... Please

Abigail II: The Revenge

The Puppet Master

The Spider's Lullabye

The Graveyard

House of God

hmmm, if I pull it out it doesn't do a thing for me unsure.gif

There's nothing like putting in a CD you haven't heard yet and being blown away.

Blackwater Park and Anno Domini High Definition.

(Don't be mad at me Steevo. The curiosity was killing me. But, you were right. It f'ing KILLS!)

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 24 2010, 08:30 AM)
There's nothing like putting in a CD you haven't heard yet and being blown away.

Blackwater Park and Anno Domini High Definition.

(Don't be mad at me Steevo. The curiosity was killing me. But, you were right. It f'ing KILLS!)

sad.gif

Go listen to "Glamorous Glue" by Morrissey and then "East Jesus Nowhere" by Green Day.

OMG GUIZE GREEN DAY RIPPED OFF MORRISSEY THEYRE LIKE COLDPLAY RIPPING OFF SATRIANI AMIRITE

(but seriously, the verse riffs DO sound kind of identical.)

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 24 2010, 06:02 AM)
Today, the 4 year old and the 2 1/2 year old are getting a crash course in all things AC/DC.

And they're LOVING IT!

Awwww... smile.gif Start 'em young with the good stuff, that's what I say.

I've never really been a fan of screamo/screaming in songs until very recently. And, to me, I can only take so much (in other words - yes, it can be depressing if you have too much laugh.gif ). Reggie and the Full Effect (well, technically James Dewees) made a great balance on Last Stop: Crappy Town. There's parts where it's this sort of hardcore thing with screaming, then almost poppy parts with smooth vocals, and interludes with keyboards or piano chords. Very interesting record - too bad he's stopped making records.