Sake

I didn't find it's own thread searching this forum so I'm starting one.

Got some sushi last evening at this place in NYC called Jeollado (4th street btw 1st and 2nd aves) and my friends and I decided to try some house sake. I thought it was alright, very strong and dry, one of my friends loved it, the other hated it. Ours was served hot, but cooled down quickly.

Any opinions or thoughts?

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ May 22 2008, 02:38 PM)
I didn't find it's own thread searching this forum so I'm starting one.

Got some sushi last evening at this place in NYC called Jeollado (4th street btw 1st and 2nd aves) and my friends and I decided to try some house sake. I thought it was alright, very strong and dry, one of my friends loved it, the other hated it. Ours was served hot, but cooled down quickly.

Any opinions or thoughts?

I agree with your description of its flavor...but they few times I had it....I got fuuuuuuucked up!!!!!!

The last time I had saki was many, many years ago. I was 19 and in Paris. Let's just say me at 19, Paris and saki were not a good combination. no.gif Haven't touched it since.

Love sushi though but usually have Kirin beer with it.

I like it a great deal, but it has to be hot. I can't stand it cold. A friend of mine likes to put a few drops of soy sauce in his sake and calls the concoction a "Black Samurai". laugh.gif I've tried it and it's not bad.

I like sake, but only served hot and alongside my sushi meal.

Nothing does the trick like a belly full of raw fish and hot sake.......

I got my first taste of sake 3 years ago when I went on a business trip to Tokyo. I liked it. It was served warm in the traditional serving vessel. I had several, and subsequently got nicely effed up laugh.gif

I made another trip to Tokyo last year, and found out that although sake is traditionally served warm, not all Japanese prefer it warm. Some like it chilled.

Obviously, there are some good brands of sake, and some not so good. It's all a matter of taste. I don't have any insight about the preferred brands, but I can find out. I'll just ask my former Japanese colleagues. I recently left a job at a Japanese company.

I'll report my findings back here, if I can remember laugh.gif

i have tried it about 3 times. that's it for me. just not for my tastebuds trink38.gif

QUOTE (PanaceaFish @ Aug 9 2008, 04:18 PM)
NEVER had Sake (or sushi for that matter) before, but I'm open minded, and would love to try both..

Sushi is AMAZING!!!!!!! I'd start with the tried-and-true California roll because it doesn't have too much raw fish (and a lot of times the crab is imitation crab). Use lots of soy sauce if you're apprehensive of tasting the fish, but really, sushi fish has little taste, compared to cooked fish. Sushi is quite refreshing.

Edited by iluvgeddy05

I love sake (more accurately, nihonshu). My fave's one out of Miyagi Prefecture; it's called Suminoe. You can get it at Japanese markets if you'd like to try it.